• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is really good! I have only seen them in Quebec though.

Hey speaking of "gravy" whenever I ask for gravy for my fries here I get a broth. :(

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Could you imagine if you asked for gravy for your fries and they gave you sauce... you'd have an Italian poutine. :D

That sounds really good :thumbs:

I think that's what they call pizza fries here.... pizza sauce or tomato sauce on fries with melted cheese on top!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Italian Sunday Gravy

* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

* 1 pound sweet Italian sausage

* 1 pound hot Italian sausage

* 2 onions (yep, left those nasty things out!)

* 12 garlic cloves, minced

* 2 teaspoons dried oregano (I used Italian seasoning)

* 1 six ounce can of tomato paste

* 1/2 cup dry red wine

* 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained (I forgot to drain them!)

* 1 28 can tomato sauce (I used the Italian tomato sauce that has extra basil and garlic)

* 2 pounds bone-in country-style spareribs, trimmed of excess fat

* 1 1/2 pounds flank steak

* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

* pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add sweet sausage and cook until well browned and fat begins to render, about 8 minutes. Using tongs, transfer sausage to paper towel lined plate to drain, then place in slow-cooker insert. Repeat with hot sausage.

2. Cook onions (not me!) in sausage fat over medium heat until well browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in garlic and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Stir in wine and simmer, scraping all the delicious browned bits from the pan with a wooden spoon, until wine is reduced, about 3 minutes. Transfer to slow-cooker insert and stir in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.

3. Submerge spareribs and flank steak in sauce in slow-cooker insert. Set slow cooker on low, cover and cook until meat is tender, 8 to 10 hours (or on high for 4 to 5).

4. About 30 minutes before serving, transfer sausages, ribs, and flank steak to baking sheet and set aside until cook enough to handle. Shred ribs and flank steak into small pieces, discarding excess fat and bones; slice sausages in half crosswise. Use wide spoon to skim any fat off the surface, then stir sausages and shredded meat back into sauce. Stir in basil and season with pepper.

5. Leftover gravy can be stored in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.

http://biz319.wordpress.com/2009/01/26/italian-sunday-gravy/

well, if you look at a recipe for Italian gravy it is more then just tomatoes and spices.... :unsure:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
so the tamale pie turned out pretty good but I decided to make a packet of Mexican rice to go with it... The Mexican rice was good but the flavour didn't quite go with the tamale pie .. I should have made the taco rice :wacko:

my tamale pie came out a little salty - used regular tomoato soup instead of low sodium - combined with the salsa just made it a little salty - I threw in acan of no salt corn niblets - so festive! :goofy:

so you just use tomato soup.. interesting.... my hubby seems to like the vegetable beef soup... after eating the tamale pie last night he said I should make that every night... :P

and also I have a hard time finding a good cornbread mix... so yesterday I bought a container of Quaker yellow cornmeal, and you just add flour, eggs, oil etc... it was way better then all the corn bread mixes I have tried..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

I am making this tonight... never made it before so we will see how it goes...

Crock Pot Ginger Chicken Recipe

* 1 cup soy sauce

* 1 cup water

* 1/2 cup brown sugar

* 3 teaspoons gingerroot, peeled, cut into thin slices and smashed

* 8 chicken thighs, about

1. Mix soy sauce, water, brown sugar and ginger and pour into a crock pot.

2. Put in as many chicken thighs as can be covered with sauce.

3. Cook 4 to 6 hours on low.

4. I like to quickly crisp up the chicken under the broiler before serving.

I am reducing the soy sauce a little and added some red pepper to spice it up a bit and I didn't have ginger root so I just used ginger powder...

I think I finally got my groove back .. for awhile there I had no desire to cook dinners :unsure:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Yum - that looks good, Marilyn.

We're having left over (cold) roast chicken, noodles with alfredo sauce (or gravy, what the heck!), broccoli and corn bread. I use a mix for the corn bread but I can always ask Joe for his recipe. He always makes it from scratch. His is the true Southern corn bread though - no sweetening in it. I prefer the sweetened cornbread like a northerner, hehehe! He's getting unsweetened tonight - he'll be happy.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

well, I bought this yesterday.. don't think I am going to bother with those mixes anymore :no:

41BTV9YM6TL_SL500_AA280_.jpg

this was the recipe that was on the can..

* 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

* 3/4 cup enriched corn meal

* 1/4 cup sugar

* 2 teaspoons baking powder

* 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)

* 1 cup skim milk

* 1/4 cup vegetable oil

* 2 egg whites or 1 egg, beaten

Directions

Preheat oven to 400F. Combine dry flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt (if desired). Stir in milk, oil and egg, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter into 12 greased or paper-lined medium muffin cups or loaf pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Spinach and feta pizza

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Well, I didn't know what to make last night, so this thread inspired me to make a tamale pie. It was very good! I'm looking at that ginger chicken and thinking I want to make that now...but grilled cheese looks so good! :lol: I think it's going to be soup (potato leek) and grilled cheese tonight. Tomorrow will be the ginger chicken!

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

the ginger chicken was good.. I thought it would taste just like soy sauce but it didn't... it was yummy...

I halved the sauce recipe and used 4 chicken thighs and there was a lot of sauce left over... it would be good over rice.. you might want to thicken it up a bit though...

I am glad everyone is enjoying the tamale pie...

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline
I am unsure. I just talked to the executive chef at my work. :lol:

He said he thinks it's an Italian/American thing. So I think you're right tmix.

Definitely an Italian-American thing. They don't say gravy in Italy. It's sauce.

Last night we had salmon with asparagus and cheese and broccoli rice. I'm not quite sure what we're having this evening. Maybe meatloaf with mashed and peas. :unsure:

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.