Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
There you go!

Well I have just cooked the ground beef and chopped green onions and tomatoes and added them. Used my new Albertson's chopping knife! It is nice and very sharp! Be careful krikit! I think I will just add some spices and that's about it.

Thing is, I have quite a bit of the filling. Might put some aside for taco salad or something.

:lol: Did I ever tell you about the time I chopped the top of my thumb off? It was only hanging on by a piece of the fingernail. I nearly fainted when I saw the bone underneath. It's very white, you know.

Now.... speaking of ground beef.... I'd probably stir it into tomato sauce and pour it over the cabbage rolls.

Last night, hubby used his new toy (a deep fryer that my mom gave him as a Xmas gift) and deep fried hot dogs just because he could!!! No seriously, because he had watched a show on tv, Deep Fried Paradise and there was this place in NJ that deep fried hot dogs. IMO, the bite I had tasted the same as a hot dog on the grill. We mostly had Thai food last night, with hubby supplementing with hot dogs and jalapeno poppers, deep fried too. I seriously hope the infatuation wears off, because I don't know if my willpower is strong enough to avoid deep fried food all the time.

:lol:

That's hilarious. If my husband got a deep fryer he'd wonder what it was.

I used all the ground beef! Oh and the finger cutting stories omg omg !

That is why I won't buy a deep fryer, I love fried stuff - not that I would use it even if I had one, well maybe twice a year.

Then again, if you think about it, what if you only have take out say once a week or once a month and you have fries. What if instead of doing that you made your own and deep fried them, wouldn't that be a better thing!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh I saw Paula making this dessert yesterday and I thought it looked good, would be a good recipe for those times when you don't really have 'dessert' stuff on hand but want to make a quick dessert. Of course she made her own ice cream too!

Tex-Mex Sundaes

pa1002_sundae_med.jpg

Cook Time 20 min

Yield 12 sundaes

Ingredients

Vegetable oil, for frying

12 fajita-size flour tortillas

1/2 cup sugar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Directions

1 (20-ounce) jar chocolate flavored syrup

1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries with stems

In a medium skillet, pour oil to a depth of 1/2-inch; heat oil over medium heat. Add tortillas, 1 at a time, and fry, about 1 minute per side until golden. (Press tortilla down with a fork if it starts to puff up while frying.) Drain on paper towels.

In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over hot tortillas. Set aside to cool. (Can be done 1 day ahead.)

Top cinnamon-sugar tortilla with 1 generous scoop of Homemade Cinnamon Ice Cream. Drizzle with chocolate syrup, and top with a cherry. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, ice cream, chocolate, and cherries.

Homemade Cinnamon Ice Cream:

1 quart half-and-half

2 cinnamon sticks

1 pint heavy whipping cream

2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk

Up to 2 quarts milk, as needed

In a 2-quart saucepan, combine half-and-half and cinnamon sticks. Cook 20 minutes over low heat (do not boil). Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon sticks and chill for 4 hours.

With an electric mixer at high speed, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add condensed milk and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Add chilled half-and-half.

Pour mixture into canister of a 4 to 6-quart ice cream freezer. Add milk, if needed, to fill canister to the freezer line. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Mmmmm I love cabbage rolls! My mom and grandma always put rice in theirs so I do too. :) It takes a long time only if you make a lot of them. I tend to make as many as I have cabbage leaves for, so usually enough for two dinners!

Tonight it's going to be pancakes with cream gravy which is a special dish that my husband's grandmother makes for him. It's just pancakes with ground beef in a sauce of half and half with a little salt and pepper. I'm going to make myself some pumpkin pancakes with a little bit of warm blueberries on top. YUM! :)

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Hubby has wanted a deep fryer since he moved to America. I think he associates America with bad for you fried stuff! He never wanted one when he lived in Vancouver. And I have a friend whose hubby is from England, and it was the same thing ... as soon as he moved here, he developed a hankering for a deep fryer.

I try to eat fried foods only occasionally because I really do feel like ####### afterwards. I do like deep fried pickles (a taste I developed living in Georgia), so it will be nice to make those once or twice. Other than that, the foods I like deep fried (whole clams and calamari), I would much rather buy at a restaurant than mess up in my own kitchen. Or fried dough, which I do ADORE, but I do NOT need to make in my own home, because I would be tempted to make it way too often. I prefer to get it once a year at a fair.

But hubby is happy with his new toy :)

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

A Team - YOUR pancakes sound yummy. Not sure about your hubby's those. That reminds me too much of biscuits and gravy, a Southern food that I cannot stand (I know, TMI, but when I was in college, a group of us went to Denny's at 3 am. A guy we were with, who was drunk off his azz, ordered biscuits and gravy , ate the whole thing, then proceeded to get sick. Ruined the food for me, because I cannot ever even look at biscuits and gravy without remembering the whole episode). :wacko:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh Autumn that sucks! I don't mind biscuits and gravy but with my wheat intolerance I don't eat them all that often. It has to be a pretty special occasion. Hubby gave me puppy dog eyes this afternoon when I told him I had ground beef and asked what he'd like for dinner! He doesn't really care for the most part so how could I say no?! :)

I have to say I prefer my pancakes too though!

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I made this recipe I found on the Whole Foods site this morning. It is awesome! So easy, fast and healthy.

Mexican Taco Stew

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/re...p?recipeId=2286

I added a few extras- chopped cilantro, cumin, creole seasoning, bell pepper. I topped mine with cheese, avocado, sour cream and crushed taco chips. Yum!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I made this recipe I found on the Whole Foods site this morning. It is awesome! So easy, fast and healthy.

Mexican Taco Stew

I added a few extras- chopped cilantro, cumin, creole seasoning, bell pepper. I topped mine with cheese, avocado, sour cream and crushed taco chips. Yum!

that does look good :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mexican Taco Stew

that does look good :thumbs:

:crying: why does everything have tomatoes in it

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

Our company made dinner tonight - chili - so I made the cornbread to go with it. Now we are all sitting around stuffed waiting (hehehe, I was going to write weighting - how appropriate!) for the fullness to go down a little so we can eat the cappuchino icecream for dessert.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Making poutine w/ veggie burgers.. work was stressful today, I need some super fatty foods to get me smiling again.

Come over to my house, my hubby will dump everything in the deep fryer so you can have even more fatty foods!!!

I got home from work tonight and found hubby playing with his new toy again. He attempted corn dogs by mixing up a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix I had and rolling the hot dogs in it. He said they were good, but not corn dog like. He also made sweet potato fries and I swear I think he just dropped lumps of cornbread batter in there, but he won't admit to that. He didn't save me anything (good for my diet), so I had a few bites of leftover stew and then made a veggie quesadilla with low fat cheese, salsa, veggies. Declan and I also shared some avocado (his first time).

Timeline

We had lobster melts last night... mmmmm used lobster meat instead of tuna and put it on Chibata.. it was yummers

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.