Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So we had salisbury steaks tonight and I baked potatoes, buttercup squash and onions along with the steaks in the oven. Sour cream on the potatoes and a tossed salad with the last of the tomatoes from the garden before the deep freeze - and yum. Enjoying spiced coffee now afterwards (cardamon pods and cloves ground in with the coffee beans).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We had Subway subs and they tasted soooo good because we were sooooooo hungry.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Hey Carla and trailmix...I'm not sure about your bread machine, but mine actually has an alarm that goes off when the kneading is done so that i can take the blade out. If you can take your blade out I'd suggest it. I hate that whole in the bottom of my loaf too! Also, if you need recipes for a more artisan loaf I've got some that came with my breadmaker if you'd like.

Do you find that you need to babysit your dough? Maybe it's because I'm making spelt bread that I have to watch to make sure it comes together alright.

Yes, mine has an alarm that goes off. I've done that a few times where I've taken the dough out of the machine when I'm making buns or pizza dough. I probably sound like I'm whining, but that annoys me having to do that! I buy this nice bread machine, then have to babysit it as you call it :lol: so that I don't have a hole in the bottom of my bread. Too funny. If I'm home, and puttering around, that's okay, but if I want to go out, or have to go somewhere, then it's annoying that I either have to have a loaf with a hole, or not make any bread until I'm around.

I'd LOVE some recipes if you have them ATeam.

Have you ever made any bread from almond meal or flaxseed meal?

Okay...last night we had a spinach loaf and ceasar salad. Tonight I'm thinking meatballs in homemade marinara sauce with angel hair pasta.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
does anybody have any leftovers I could eat?? :P .. I am so tired and don't feel like making anything... :wacko:

Stink.. i had left overs from our Sausage & pepper subs I made last night .. bah..

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Okay...last night we had a spinach loaf and ceasar salad. Tonight I'm thinking meatballs in homemade marinara sauce with angel hair pasta.

Did you make the spinach loaf in your bread maker ! :lol:

You're lucky trailmix! I wish I didn't have to watch the dough, but I think that it's because of the spelt flour.

I had to look up spelt flour - I see it is made with Triticum aestivum var. spelta interesting! :) - also sounds good.

I have a bag of spinach Carla - have you posted your spinach bread recipe before and I missed it? If not any chance you might post it today?

Oh and I didn't feel like cooking last night so we had a hamburger and fries.

Edited by trailmix

I think perhaps I have posted my spinach recipe before but I'll give it to you again. I use a 1/2 package of puff pastry to make this because it's so delicious, and NO, it's not made in the bread machine. :lol: I've never used fresh spinach though, you might want to try it with it and let me know how it comes out.

Take a package of frozen spinach and thaw it.

Throw in some feta cheese crumbles, some shredded swiss cheese, or any other cheese you might have handy, and throw in some parmesean cheese. I don't use measuring cups, but I'd say a 1/2 cup of parmasean? Beat up one egg with water. Throw about 1/2 the beaten egg gunk in with the spinach mixture.

Roll out the puff pastry a bit, and spread spinach mixture along long end of pastry and roll up. Tuck in ends before completing the rolling up portion.

Make a few diagonal slice marks on the top before baking.

Brush the rest of the egg mixture over the top of the roll. Spray your baking sheet and place on that. Put in 400 degree oven for about 15-20 min. until. the top is brown, puffed and crispy.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now, having typed all that, I'm wondering if you thought it was a spinach bread? :hehe:

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
I think perhaps I have posted my spinach recipe before but I'll give it to you again. I use a 1/2 package of puff pastry to make this because it's so delicious, and NO, it's not made in the bread machine. :lol: I've never used fresh spinach though, you might want to try it with it and let me know how it comes out.

Take a package of frozen spinach and thaw it.

Throw in some feta cheese crumbles, some shredded swiss cheese, or any other cheese you might have handy, and throw in some parmesean cheese. I don't use measuring cups, but I'd say a 1/2 cup of parmasean? Beat up one egg with water. Throw about 1/2 the beaten egg gunk in with the spinach mixture.

Roll out the puff pastry a bit, and spread spinach mixture along long end of pastry and roll up. Tuck in ends before completing the rolling up portion.

Make a few diagonal slice marks on the top before baking.

Brush the rest of the egg mixture over the top of the roll. Spray your baking sheet and place on that. Put in 400 degree oven for about 15-20 min. until. the top is brown, puffed and crispy.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now, having typed all that, I'm wondering if you thought it was a spinach bread? :hehe:

Thanks for typing that all out :)

Yes, I did think it was a bread - however I have now saved the recipe and when I get some puff pastry I am going to try it!

Filed: Timeline

I'm saving that recipe for when I have guests for cocktails and appies, Carla! Thank you. I'm thinking of inviting the neighbours over for some Christmas cheer this year. Just trying to figure out if/when I can fit that in. :blink:

I'm thinking we'll have caesar salad and baked ravioli this evening. I pre-made it with some leftover spaghetti sauce I had. I put the frozen ravioli, sauce, then a layer of mozzarella into individual serving dishes and threw them in the freezer. Makes for a quick and tasty meal when you don't feel like/have time for cooking.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Tonight I think I will do Indian food. Pick up some Pataks sauces, chicken, naan bread, samosas.

Edited by MissStacey

Timeline

Yay krikit for visitors :dance:

So last night the plan was homemade alfredo/pasta and italian sausage, which will now be dinner tonight and because Carla mentioned spinach bread, I am going to go look for a recipe for that and make that as well.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Tonight I think I will do Indian food. Pick up some Pataks sauces, chicken, naan bread, samosas.

Oh, you lucky duck!!!!! I haven't had a samosa since I left the old country! :lol:

But thanks for the reminder, Stacey! :)

*adds Pataks Madras to list for parents to bring*

They have Pataks in all of the grocery stores here. You haven't found any in FLA?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.