Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I make sweet potato fries often. I love them. I cut them up, coat them with a little olive oil and spices and bake them in the oven.

Tonight I am making homemade chicken fingers and oven baked fries. I'll steam an artichoke and open a can of green beans.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

another good thing to do with sweet potaotes is .. slice them up along with some red potatoes and layer them in a dish along with onion, butter, salt, pepper and rosemary, oregano or basil (fresh or dried).. and then cover with foil and bake in the oven until potaotes or cooked... once baked remove foil and sprinkle with grated cheese.. replace foil and let the cheese melt and then eat.. yum..

those can also be done on the bbq.. just put it in little foil packs....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh man I want meat pie!!

yea I never made chips before, but I should do stuff like that more often because my husband was SOOO amazed by them. :lol:

Err i just decided to cut the potatoes differently dear. :huh:

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I feel like having pancakes but I don't feel like making them so I probably will have turkey burgers :P

maybe on one of hubby's days off i will make those popover things.... we haven't had those in awhile..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Mmmmmmmmmmm meat pie is right! I missed you wanted a pastry recipe. Sorry. :(

We had kielbasa and veggies stir fried with oven roast potatoes on the side.

No idea about tonight. Maybe chicken spedini.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Still open for a savory pastry recipe if you have one Carla!

I scoured the net for one and ended up kind of winging it. I don't really want to use a recipe that calls for a cup and a half of butter :blink:

So basically I just used what I thought was reasonable. In turn I ended up with a really crunchy crust - almost cracker like - which strangely enough was really nice with meat filling...my Husband loved it.

Tonight i'm going to make home made pizza - now I need to find my pizza dough recipe!

Actually on second thought, I think it was krikit who gave me this recipe, might try that one instead:

3 1/2 cups flour

1 cup warm water

2 tablespoons yeast

2 tablespoons honey

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think my grandma used to use philo pastry for her meat pies.. I think.. been almost 20 yrs since I had one :(

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
I think my grandma used to use philo pastry for her meat pies.. I think.. been almost 20 yrs since I had one :(

Grandma's can cook! Or they used to anyway. My Mom doesn't cook at all anymore.

I remember once, going to some place in Northern Alberta, as a child, to visit my Grandma for the day - she was a cook there. I can still remember the freshly made buns she gave us to eat - oh and seeing a moose :lol:

And on a totally unrelated topic, a couple of weeks ago, my Mom's friend (and our friend - this couple and their 3 children lived next to use when I was young - we were neighbours for 3-4 years I think it was) ran over herself. Every day she gives her neighbour her paper, so on this particular day she was going out so just backed in next door and went to fling the paper out, but it didn't land in the right place or something so she got out to move it, forgetting that she hadn't put the car in park and it rolled over her.

She is ok, recovering in a care place, but how awful for her - on top of that her Husband of, I don't even know how many years, was killed in a car accident on Deerfoot trail in Calgary a few weeks before that.

I have no idea why I am telling this sad story.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

So i'm just watching Paula Dean on the food channel and saw she was doing something with bananas and I thought good, I have some bananas and was thinking of making banana bread, but something different would be good.

Well!!

She slices up the bananas and puts them on the bottom of the pan.

Then she covers that with buttered, crustless, pieces of white bread.

Then crushed potato chips.

Then crumbled bacon.

:o

Oh and cheese and ham!

pa0812_casserole_med.jpg

Cheesy Ham and Banana Casserole

Ingredients

Butter

12 slices white bread

8 large slices deli ham

4 bananas, sliced on the bias

2 cups shredded Cheddar

2 cups crushed potato chips

6 slices cooked and crumbled bacon

4 large eggs

1 cup milk

1 cup cream

Pinch freshly grated nutmeg

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Ok, so I decided I would make a banana cream pie, so I was looking for a recipe for custard and came across a recipe for rice pudding - so I decided to make that instead.

The recipe called for 2/3s of a cup of sugar for 2 cups of cooked rice...and i'm thinking that is way too much, so I used half a cup. 1/2 a cup is also way too much.

I ended up throwing it away and starting from scratch and just winging it/tasting it - which is what I should have done in the first place :lol:

I make sweet potato fries often. I love them. I cut them up, coat them with a little olive oil and spices and bake them in the oven.

Tonight I am making homemade chicken fingers and oven baked fries. I'll steam an artichoke and open a can of green beans.

Okay, I'm convinced! I'm going to try sweet potato fries. I have heard they're much healthier for you too!

Still open for a savory pastry recipe if you have one Carla!

I scoured the net for one and ended up kind of winging it. I don't really want to use a recipe that calls for a cup and a half of butter :blink:

So basically I just used what I thought was reasonable. In turn I ended up with a really crunchy crust - almost cracker like - which strangely enough was really nice with meat filling...my Husband loved it.

Tonight i'm going to make home made pizza - now I need to find my pizza dough recipe!

Actually on second thought, I think it was krikit who gave me this recipe, might try that one instead:

3 1/2 cups flour

1 cup warm water

2 tablespoons yeast

2 tablespoons honey

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

Here's the one I use. From my Mom. I'm always trying new ones that I think might be good, but this is a great standby!

3 cups flour

1 1/2 cups of shortening

1/2 tsp. of salt

5 tbsp. cold water

1 egg

1 tbsp. vinegar

Grandma's can cook! Or they used to anyway. My Mom doesn't cook at all anymore.

I remember once, going to some place in Northern Alberta, as a child, to visit my Grandma for the day - she was a cook there. I can still remember the freshly made buns she gave us to eat - oh and seeing a moose :lol:

And on a totally unrelated topic, a couple of weeks ago, my Mom's friend (and our friend - this couple and their 3 children lived next to use when I was young - we were neighbours for 3-4 years I think it was) ran over herself. Every day she gives her neighbour her paper, so on this particular day she was going out so just backed in next door and went to fling the paper out, but it didn't land in the right place or something so she got out to move it, forgetting that she hadn't put the car in park and it rolled over her.

She is ok, recovering in a care place, but how awful for her - on top of that her Husband of, I don't even know how many years, was killed in a car accident on Deerfoot trail in Calgary a few weeks before that.

I have no idea why I am telling this sad story.

What a tragic story!! :(:o

So i'm just watching Paula Dean on the food channel and saw she was doing something with bananas and I thought good, I have some bananas and was thinking of making banana bread, but something different would be good.

Well!!

She slices up the bananas and puts them on the bottom of the pan.

Then she covers that with buttered, crustless, pieces of white bread.

Then crushed potato chips.

Then crumbled bacon.

:o

Oh and cheese and ham!

pa0812_casserole_med.jpg

Cheesy Ham and Banana Casserole

Ingredients

Butter

12 slices white bread

8 large slices deli ham

4 bananas, sliced on the bias

2 cups shredded Cheddar

2 cups crushed potato chips

6 slices cooked and crumbled bacon

4 large eggs

1 cup milk

1 cup cream

Pinch freshly grated nutmeg

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

I saw that episode as well. I think it looks good, except for the bananas in it. I would think they'd get kinda mushy!

Ok, so I decided I would make a banana cream pie, so I was looking for a recipe for custard and came across a recipe for rice pudding - so I decided to make that instead.

The recipe called for 2/3s of a cup of sugar for 2 cups of cooked rice...and i'm thinking that is way too much, so I used half a cup. 1/2 a cup is also way too much.

I ended up throwing it away and starting from scratch and just winging it/tasting it - which is what I should have done in the first place :lol:

The best recipes are through trial and error! I'm a "winger" :P:)

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.