Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I don't know if you all find this - but I find the beef here to be quite tasteless - not like Alberta Beef!

Perhaps because they are fed with the remnants of corn after it has been stripped at the ethanol plants rather than on grass/hay (I have zero scientific evidence to go along with this theory btw :lol: )

:lol:

I made home-made pizza and salad for dinner last night. I also made a curried butternut squash soup for tonight and left it on low in the crockpot so it's smelling really good right now. I have to head over to the chiropractor in an hour so I will pick up a fresh crusty loaf at the Fresh Market while I'm down there. There's also a restaurant supply store near there so I think I'll stop by this time and see what I'm missing.

iagree.gif

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That sounds good krikit, do you make your own dough? Do you have a recipe for it? I do have a pizza dough recipe but it's not fabulous.

Edited by trailmix

That sounds good krikit, do you make your own dough? Do you have a recipe for it? I do have a pizza dough recipe but it's not fabulous.

I have a pizza dough recipe but I used some flatbread instead this time and it turned out delicious. Publix sells the dough already made (haven't tried it yet) or here's the recipe:

Basic Pizza Dough

1.5 cups flour

1 package active dry yeast, dissolved in .5 cup plus 2 tablespoons lukewarm water

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

Put all the ingredients in a medium-size bowl and mix well with your hands. Put the dough on a work surface and knead 5 to 6 minutes, or until it's smooth and pliable. If it seems a bit sticky, knead in a little more flour. Dust the dough lightly with flour and place in a large bowl. Cover the bowl with a moist kitchen towel or plastic wrap, and put in a warm, draft-free place to rise, 1 to 1.5 hours. (I put it in the microwave. But don't turn it on. lol) At this point the dough should have doubled in size, be springy, and have small gas bubbles all over its surface.

iagree.gif

Timeline
beans and rice here.. hubby also found another red velvet cake mix at Walmart.. the man is OBSESSED with red velvet cake :P

Strange thing to find in "the north" we thought :wacko:

I saw the pics you posted, and well...there is something about blood red cake that is bothersome to me! :hehe: It seems to be something maybe American? I've never heard of this cake back in Saskatchewan before. Maybe it was just not a popular cake where I come from. Can I ask what it tastes like?

I kept mumbling the whole time I was making it.. this is not right.. this is unholy!! :P tee hee.. and hubby assured me that it was supposed to be blood red..

It doesn't taste like white cake with food coloring in (which is what I expected), it's got a hint of spice. If I was to make it from scratch I think I would vamp the spice up a bit.. but it's more like a mild spice cake than a plain cake I think.. but this was my first encounter with it. I think it's a southern US thing.. I'd only heard about red velvet in the movies before :P

Well this is funny, just talking to my Sister on the phone and she was telling me her hands are red because she got some batter on them from making this cake!

Sounds like red velvet hands trailmix! :o:lol:

We had a decadent supper last night. I pounded out some boneless skinless chicken breasts and spread chive cream cheese on them. Rolled up, secured with toothpicks, rolled in garlic butter then breadcrumb/parmesean mixture. In oven for 40 min. Excellent. some of the recipe idea I got from Marilyn's recent garlic chicken recipe. We had banquet potatoes and steamed green beans with it.

Tonight I'm going to try my hand at making falafel patties. I had a falafel ball at Costco last week and it was delicious. I'm going to put them in a pita pocket with veggies and some tziki sauce (cuz I love it!). Couscous salad will accompany.

carlahmsb4.gif

Wow. That chicken sounds yummy, Carla. Never heard of banquet potatoes, though.

The butternut squash soup turned out fabulous. I decided to go with cornmeal biscuits instead of bread, though, and it was delicious. Tonight I think I will have my husband pick up Mike's BBQ chicken and collard greens on his way home. I'd go, but they know him better and always give him freebies. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

The butternut squash soup turned out fabulous. I decided to go with cornmeal biscuits instead of bread, though, and it was delicious. Tonight I think I will have my husband pick up Mike's BBQ chicken and collard greens on his way home. I'd go, but they know him better and always give him freebies. :lol:

Mike's BBQ is on Hwy 441. If you head west on SR 46, turn right at Mt Dora onto 441, past the flea market on the right and go up the hill, you'll see him on the left. Only Thur-Sat from 11:00am-8:00pm. You'll see a trailer and a huge smoker in front of a Haitian church.... that's him. If the trailer and the smoker's not there.... he's gone

Ahh Mike's BBQ. Good old Mike. :)

Well last night we tried the Omaha Meats steak - 5 oz Sirloin. Hmm..incredibly small when cooked, flavour was ok. I wouldn't buy them again though. Also had their stuffed potatoes, which were good and some bean sprouts.

Tonight i'm thinking pork chops, haven't really decided though.

Mike's BBQ is on Hwy 441. If you head west on SR 46, turn right at Mt Dora onto 441, past the flea market on the right and go up the hill, you'll see him on the left. Only Thur-Sat from 11:00am-8:00pm. You'll see a trailer and a huge smoker in front of a Haitian church.... that's him. If the trailer and the smoker's not there.... he's gone

Ahh Mike's BBQ. Good old Mike. :)

Well last night we tried the Omaha Meats steak - 5 oz Sirloin. Hmm..incredibly small when cooked, flavour was ok. I wouldn't buy them again though. Also had their stuffed potatoes, which were good and some bean sprouts.

Tonight i'm thinking pork chops, haven't really decided though.

:lol::thumbs:

He's no longer in front the Haitian church. He's moved up the road a bit. (Just in case you were thinking of coming, Trailmix. :hehe: )

Hmmmm, pork chops. I like pork chops. Maybe I'll make those instead. Thanks! :D

iagree.gif

Banquet potatoes...you might know them by another name? They are frozen hashbrowns thawed and mixed up with sour cream, cream of chicken soup and other goodies...?

Last night I made falafel patties, served on flatbread. I made some tzezki sauce and we had sundried tomato couscous with it. Raw veggies accompanied. If anyone has a good falafel recipe, it would be appreciated. Mine were very delicate, and they were crumbly! :huh:

I'm out all day today, so I took out a small rump roast to put in the slow cooker while I'm away.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Banquet potatoes...you might know them by another name? They are frozen hashbrowns thawed and mixed up with sour cream, cream of chicken soup and other goodies...?

Last night I made falafel patties, served on flatbread. I made some tzezki sauce and we had sundried tomato couscous with it. Raw veggies accompanied. If anyone has a good falafel recipe, it would be appreciated. Mine were very delicate, and they were crumbly! :huh:

I'm out all day today, so I took out a small rump roast to put in the slow cooker while I'm away.

At the donair place by our house in Calgary they had THE BEST falafel wraps. Should have asked for her recipe except she was generally grouchy and probably would have thrown a wrap at me....kind of the soup nazi but with falafel.

We had Quiznos again last night, at my request - wasn't as good.

Tonight pork chops I think and I think I might also make a shephard's pie for tomorrow night.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

party potatoes?? but my recipe calls for onion soup :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.