Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

beans and rice here.. hubby also found another red velvet cake mix at Walmart.. the man is OBSESSED with red velvet cake :P

Strange thing to find in "the north" we thought :wacko:

I saw the pics you posted, and well...there is something about blood red cake that is bothersome to me! :hehe: It seems to be something maybe American? I've never heard of this cake back in Saskatchewan before. Maybe it was just not a popular cake where I come from. Can I ask what it tastes like?

carlahmsb4.gif

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
beans and rice here.. hubby also found another red velvet cake mix at Walmart.. the man is OBSESSED with red velvet cake :P

Strange thing to find in "the north" we thought :wacko:

I saw the pics you posted, and well...there is something about blood red cake that is bothersome to me! :hehe: It seems to be something maybe American? I've never heard of this cake back in Saskatchewan before. Maybe it was just not a popular cake where I come from. Can I ask what it tastes like?

I kept mumbling the whole time I was making it.. this is not right.. this is unholy!! :P tee hee.. and hubby assured me that it was supposed to be blood red..

It doesn't taste like white cake with food coloring in (which is what I expected), it's got a hint of spice. If I was to make it from scratch I think I would vamp the spice up a bit.. but it's more like a mild spice cake than a plain cake I think.. but this was my first encounter with it. I think it's a southern US thing.. I'd only heard about red velvet in the movies before :P

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Timeline
I think it's a southern US thing.. I'd only heard about red velvet in the movies before :P

That's where I heard it! :lol:

I think tonight we will have quiche and salad. Or maybe home-made pizza. I've only just finished a bowl of honey nut O's so I'm not quite into thinking of real food yet.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I kept mumbling the whole time I was making it.. this is not right.. this is unholy!! :P tee hee.. and hubby assured me that it was supposed to be blood red..

This makes me think of The Thorn Birds for some reason :blink:

1ttb926.jpg

I always assumed that cake would taste like a sweet cherry cake, from the colour I guess...hmm.

Anyway for dinner we did have the tacos with lots o salad, it was good.

Today I should be getting my delivery from Omaha Meats, so I will see what they bring before deciding what's for dinner!

This makes me think of The Thorn Birds for some reason :blink:

1ttb926.jpg

I always assumed that cake would taste like a sweet cherry cake, from the colour I guess...hmm.

Anyway for dinner we did have the tacos with lots o salad, it was good.

Today I should be getting my delivery from Omaha Meats, so I will see what they bring before deciding what's for dinner!

*wanders off to google Omaha Meats*

I've never had any meats from Omaha Meats. My neighbour's husband often orders steaks from there, and they come frozen, and she says they're expensive. I asked her if they were any good, and she says, not really. :lol:

Nothing can replace a good meat market. We have a few butchers and meat markets around here....my mouth waters while I'm approaching the store. Our local Shop N' Save (which I think Albertson's is a part of the chain) has some good meat, and good meat specials as well.

carlahmsb4.gif

I've never had any meats from Omaha Meats. My neighbour's husband often orders steaks from there, and they come frozen, and she says they're expensive. I asked her if they were any good, and she says, not really. :lol:

Nothing can replace a good meat market. We have a few butchers and meat markets around here....my mouth waters while I'm approaching the store. Our local Shop N' Save (which I think Albertson's is a part of the chain) has some good meat, and good meat specials as well.

Oh, so they're kinda like an M&M's? Albertsons has been bought out by Publix, so it should be going to ####### any day now. :angry:

iagree.gif

Timeline

Oh, so they're kinda like an M&M's? Albertsons has been bought out by Publix, so it should be going to ####### any day now. :angry:

Oh bummer!

Well i'm wondering if Omaha meats is like M&M's - which I like. The stuff looks the same in the pictures - however Omaha charges A LOT more for their stuff than M&M does!

I had a coupon mailed to me, so I decided to try it, I am getting (for $52.98 - which includes tax and shipping):

The Fantastic Feast

(1 pkg.) Top Sirloin Steaks 4/5 Oz

(1 pkg.) Boneless Pork Chop 4/4 Oz

(1 pkg.) Stfd Sole W/sclp&crab 2/4.5

(1 pkg.) Gourmet Franks 8/3

(1 pkg.) Omaha Steaks Burgers 4/4 Oz

(1 pkg.) Chicken Breast, Bnl 1 Lb

(1 pkg.) Potatoes Stfd Baked 4/5.75 Oz

08318 6/4 Burgers, Knife Set 1$.00 $.00

(1 pkg.) Omaha Steaks Burgers 6/4 Oz

(1 pkg.) Cutlery Set W/cutting Board

And a cook book I think!

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Oh, well as long as you're getting the ginsu knives, it's a good deal. :thumbs:

:lol:

I can personally attest to the fact that the knives are #######. And the cutting board is a thin piece of plastic. However, I found the meat to be tasty. just be prepared for them to start calling you daily until you order from them again. Darn if they are persistent!

We've having tacos for dinner tonight. :star:

Timeline

Good, I don't need anymore knives! I now have many as we had the ones we already had from Canada plus the extra ones I had to buy here before we got our stuff. I also now have enough cutlery place settings for 16 people...but don't have a dining room table :lol:

Good, I don't need anymore knives! I now have many as we had the ones we already had from Canada plus the extra ones I had to buy here before we got our stuff. I also now have enough cutlery place settings for 16 people...but don't have a dining room table :lol:

Or a couch. :hehe:

iagree.gif

Timeline

Yeah that too lol

Well, we had the Omaha burgers last night - I can honestly say that they are the best tasting piece of beef I have had since moving to the U.S..

I don't know if you all find this - but I find the beef here to be quite tasteless - not like Alberta Beef!

Perhaps because they are fed with the remnants of corn after it has been stripped at the ethanol plants rather than on grass/hay (I have zero scientific evidence to go along with this theory btw :lol: )

Edited by trailmix

Yeah that too lol

Well, we had the Omaha burgers last night - I can honestly say that they are the best tasting piece of beef I have had since moving to the U.S..

I don't know if you all find this - but I find the beef here to be quite tasteless - not like Alberta Beef!

Perhaps because they are fed with the remnants of corn after it has been stripped at the ethanol plants rather than on grass/hay (I have zero scientific evidence to go along with this theory btw :lol: )

:lol::lol: trailmix, you are SO hilarious! Thanks for the critique of Omaha burgers! I know that my neighbour gets theirs from ordering via the phone, and I noticed just yesterday there is one actual store here (never been in it) not far from me. I'm anxious now to try them. I really enjoy fish, chicken, poultry and pork, but sometimes there is NOTHING like good ol' RED MEAT!

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.