Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I sure miss my wife's borsch!! Miss my wife too! :hehe:

I found a Polish deli (finally) about 20 miles from here and picked up some of their borscht. Haven't tried it yet, though.

We had the pizza hut macaroni and cheese - it really is VERY good.

I buy the frozen Stouffer's macaroni & cheese. It's really good.

My husband can cook any meal, but he sucks at something as simple as breakfast, I had to take over this morning, because the first pancakes he dropped on the grill were deformed. :lol:

I'm pretty sure my husband can cook. I just haven't seen an example of it since we married. <_<

Not once?? Hey aren't you supposed to be driving??

Thanks for the recipe Sprailenes !

Edited by trailmix

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Timeline
I sure miss my wife's borsch!! Miss my wife too! :hehe:

I found a Polish deli (finally) about 20 miles from here and picked up some of their borscht. Haven't tried it yet, though.

We had the pizza hut macaroni and cheese - it really is VERY good.

I buy the frozen Stouffer's macaroni & cheese. It's really good.

My husband can cook any meal, but he sucks at something as simple as breakfast, I had to take over this morning, because the first pancakes he dropped on the grill were deformed. :lol:

I'm pretty sure my husband can cook. I just haven't seen an example of it since we married. <_<

I want the Borscht! I will have an early snack -- frozen lasagne again.... really, Stouffer's, its good. Later, out for dinner....maybe fish or steak with mashed potatoes - extra butter - steamed veges - iced tea w/ extra lemon - cheese cake or blueberry pie for desert! :dance:

Timeline
I want the Borscht!

I was just smelling the fresh dill - and it reminded me of my den mother's dill pickles. And that made me think of her borscht and pyrogies. I want to go to her house tonight for dinner. I wonder what she's cooking?

Sprailenes - thank you for the recipe, I've decided to give the couscous a try for dinner. Sounds delish.

Krikit - I know what you mean!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I just found this recipe.. it looks good.. I wish I had the ingredients to make it right now...

Dump Cake

1 can cherry pie filling

1 can crushed pineapple

1 box yellow cake mix (white works, too)

1 stick margarine

1/2 stick butter

Whipped Cream

Dump cherry pie filling and crushed pineapple into baking dish. Stir together. Sprinkle cake mix over the top of the fruit. Slice margarine and butter and distribute over the surface of the cake mix. Bake this sacrilege at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Then, to redeem yourself and become the person your high school history teacher always wanted you to be, whip some cream and put a dollup on top.

boston-beans-carrot-cake-dump-cake-.jpg

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/04...ckers-paradise/

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Okay, I don't have an exact recipe but this is what I do...

Cook some cous cous in chicken broth

Chop up a pint of cherry tomatoes in half

Chop up a bunch of scallions

Chop up some parsley -- I use about 2 tables spoons of chopped parsley

Once cous cous is cooked, remove it from stove and place it into a large mixing bowl or serving bowl

Add a bit of olive oil

Mix it all of your chopped veggies in

Squeeze in a lil lemon (1/2)

And there it is.

Not much cooking involved, just a lot of cutting.

Cutting down on the amount of water or broth used, more veggies that hold up, such as peppers and celery and shredded carrots and you've got tabouli. (Spelled different ways), a middle eastern cold salad. I also used coriander in mine. I make it almost weekly.

Tonight I'm making stuffed peppers and we're having some corn on the cob with that.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So, another garden dinner tonight - kind of a chicken gumbo:-)

everything except the garlic, celery, onions and chicken came from the garden:-). Combined garlic, onions and celery in 2 Tbsp olive oil and sauteed. Added eggplant, zucchini (frozen from when we harvested it last month), a few green beans, okra, lots and lots of tomatoes, basil and oregano, then simmered it all together. Then added left over roast chicken shredded from the bones and served it all over pasta. Yum!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I just found this recipe.. it looks good.. I wish I had the ingredients to make it right now...

Dump Cake

1 can cherry pie filling

1 can crushed pineapple

1 box yellow cake mix (white works, too)

1 stick margarine

1/2 stick butter

Whipped Cream

Dump cherry pie filling and crushed pineapple into baking dish. Stir together. Sprinkle cake mix over the top of the fruit. Slice margarine and butter and distribute over the surface of the cake mix. Bake this sacrilege at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Then, to redeem yourself and become the person your high school history teacher always wanted you to be, whip some cream and put a dollup on top.

boston-beans-carrot-cake-dump-cake-.jpg

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/04...ckers-paradise/

They really should change the name of that cake. :lol:

I had leftovers because my hubby is working late tonight.

iagree.gif

Thanks for talking about borscht guys .... now I am craving some and there is nowhere close to buy some :( I also want varenyky. I can make that though, if I ever get off my butt and do more involved cooking, i.e., more than just boiling water and throwing pasta in. It is much harder to cook complicated meals now that I have a little one!!!

Tonight hubby threw Italian sausages on the grill. We also had a big salad.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i made 3 cheese manicotti was yummy but made enough to last a week lol

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

My stuffed peppers and corn was really good last night. This talk of pasta has me thinking maybe stuffed jumbo shells and a big green salad for tonight. I'm going to think about this more first. I am however going to make a strawberry rhubarb crisp for dessert.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
My stuffed peppers and corn was really good last night. This talk of pasta has me thinking maybe stuffed jumbo shells and a big green salad for tonight. I'm going to think about this more first. I am however going to make a strawberry rhubarb crisp for dessert.

Everyone over to Carlas place for dessert!! That sounds really good.

Pasta hmmm, I would actually concoct a pasta dish tonight, except I tool porky chops out last night so really should use them today - as we had Fried chicken yesterday.

I'm in for dessert at Carla's! We're having steak, baked potato, onions and mushrooms. Gotta get rid of the veggies in my fridge because I can guarantee you they'd still be in there (in some form or another :o ) when I get back. My husband's going to have a field day while I'm gone. He'll be hitting all those places I won't go to. :lol:

iagree.gif

Everyone over to Carlas place for dessert!! That sounds really good.

Pasta hmmm, I would actually concoct a pasta dish tonight, except I tool porky chops out last night so really should use them today - as we had Fried chicken yesterday.

I'm in for dessert at Carla's! We're having steak, baked potato, onions and mushrooms. Gotta get rid of the veggies in my fridge because I can guarantee you they'd still be in there (in some form or another :o ) when I get back. My husband's going to have a field day while I'm gone. He'll be hitting all those places I won't go to. :lol:

Now wouldn't that be cool? Getting together for coffee and dessert!

straw_rhubarb_crisp.jpg

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.