Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't know what's for dinner, as you guys know, we have grilled cheese when cooking is not interesting - which is good since I like them a lot.

Do you guys have a staple you use when no one is interested in cooking?

Usually some sort of sandwich...a couple days ago it was just way too hot to cook so I made tuna with dill pickle relish and red onions mixed in... mmmm

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline
Just put on roast for later this evening

TO DIE FOR CROCK POT ROAST

1 beef roast, any kind

1 pkg dried brown gravy mix

1 pkg dried italian salad dressing mix

1 pkg dried ranch dressing mix

1/2 cup water (no salt needed here in fact you may wish to use half the Ranch dressing mix to cut back on the saltiness)

Place roast in crock pot

mix the dried mixes together and sprinkle over the roast

pour the water around the roast

cook 7-9 hour

I also added the potato and carrots so will let you know later how it comes out, seems easy enough and thats what i look for ha

we love this roast, made it alot when we were in Canada...I never add the water, instead throw in some fresh mushrooms and onions....usually served it over mashed potatoes or garlic bread...

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

I-129F

--------------

March/22/07 NOA-1

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/02/08 Touch

Timeline
Mmmmm cucumbers. You've probably already had/thought of these, Kathryn, but here's what came off the top of my head:
  • Tzatziki - actually haven't tried this yet, good suggestions :-)
  • Greek salad - yes!
  • Sliced cucumbers in a sweet vinaigrette (water, vinegar, sugar) with dill - - yep and added tomatoes
  • Sliced cucumbers and onion in sour cream with salt & pepper or tzatziki - yes, and have done it with yoghurt too
  • Cucumber sandwiches where the cucumbers are lightly marinated in a mint sauce. If you can't find mint sauce you can make it by sprinkling sugar over the mint, chopping it, then adding it to a mix of vinegar and water. - oo - didn't try it with mint sauce - that would be good! Did them with tomatoes and cream cheese though:-)
  • Hollow out core of cucumber and stuff with seasoned cream cheese. You can also stuff them with julienned carrots and/or avocado or shrimp salad or crab or things like that. Kind of like a veggie roll. - another good one to try!
  • Vegetable lasagna where you slice the cucumber in lengths and use them in place of the noodles. - aha ! Another one to try, cool!
There was something else I thought of but my mind went completely blank just now. :blink:

Thanks Krikit - these are great suggestions!

My husband is working late tonight, so we will be having Vietnamese soup when he gets in.

Ratatouille tonight - while we have lots and lots of cucumbers, the other vegetables are coming in strong too - so fresh eggplant, peppers, zucchini, yellow squash - and I'll see what else I find to throw in:-). Too bad cucumbers don't taste as good cooked - but I might just try adding one to give it a try.

theres also Cucumber Lemonade

http://blog.vegkitchen.com/2006/04/cucumber-lemonade

I-130

----------------

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

I-129F

--------------

March/22/07 NOA-1

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/02/08 Touch

Timeline

wasnt feeling well for Canada Day or 4th of July...so we didnt do much...I was crampy, crabby, crappy, and cranky!...LOL

so for a Belated Canada Day celebration I think Im gonna roast a chicken and make one of those packets of Swiss Chalet dipping sauce for Barry, get him a can of Canada Dry Ginger Ale and attempt to make a Maple leaf cake (with strawberries)...will post a pic of the cake if it turns out well..LOL

also have to say that we found a pretty good substitute for Timmy's Ice Capp's (and weve tried alot of "iced cappuccino" products in the last few weeks)..its the "Original" Cappuccino Blast from Baskin Robbins...only problem is that they are double the price the Ice Capps were..so we only get them on Saturdays when were out going to yard sales...If you try them make sure you get them mixed with Vanilla ice cream..I dont get the whipped cream or cinnamon on mine... If you go to the Baskin Robbins websight and leave feedback for them you will get a $1 coupon you can print off..

http://www.gointranet.com/eval/survey/baskinrobbins.jsp

also on the main websight you can join the birthday club and get a free scoop of ice cream on your bday...I used my nephews bday in June and took him in, he felt like such a big boy (hes 4) handing them his coupon and getting his ice cream..

heres a pic of the "Original" Cappuccino Blast

http://www.baskinrobbins.com/Beverages/cappuccinoblast.aspx

Edited by kimmbo

I-130

----------------

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

I-129F

--------------

March/22/07 NOA-1

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/02/08 Touch

wasnt feeling well for Canada Day or 4th of July...so we didnt do much...I was crampy, crabby, crappy, and cranky!...LOL

so for a Belated Canada Day celebration I think Im gonna roast a chicken and make one of those packets of Swiss Chalet dipping sauce for Barry, get him a can of Canada Dry Ginger Ale and attempt to make a Maple leaf cake (with strawberries)...will post a pic of the cake if it turns out well..LOL

also have to say that we found a pretty good substitute for Timmy's Ice Capp's (and weve tried alot of "iced cappuccino" products in the last few weeks)..its the "Original" Cappuccino Blast from Baskin Robbins...only problem is that they are double the price the Ice Capps were..so we only get them on Saturdays when were out going to yard sales...If you try them make sure you get them mixed with Vanilla ice cream..I dont get the whipped cream or cinnamon on mine... If you go to the Baskin Robbins websight and leave feedback for them you will get a $1 coupon you can print off..

http://www.gointranet.com/eval/survey/baskinrobbins.jsp

also on the main websight you can join the birthday club and get a free scoop of ice cream on your bday...I used my nephews bday in June and took him in, he felt like such a big boy (hes 4) handing them his coupon and getting his ice cream..

heres a pic of the "Original" Cappuccino Blast

http://www.baskinrobbins.com/Beverages/cappuccinoblast.aspx

Hope you're feeling better kimmbo! Thanks for the tip about Baskin and Robbins!

I might make a quiche and salad for supper this evening.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Coldstone Creamery does that too... they give you a free ice cream on your Birthday if you join the Birthday club... :thumbs:

http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/Birthday/birthday_club.aspx

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, Kimmbo, thanks for the Cucumber Lemonade recipe - that looks really interesting. I think I will give it a try and will let you know how it goes.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

dinner tonight is anybody's guess... I don't feel like making anything.. I just spent the last hour and half or so hobbling around at the laundromat :P

i am leaning towards mac and cheese but not sure what to serve with it.. hubby will want some kind of meat... :unsure: oh, maybe those chicken finger things... yeah that might work :thumbs: oooh, and I just bought some Italian bread crumbs last week, so i don't have to fuss around making my own.. yeah that's it... mac and cheese and chicken fingers... :thumbs:

thanks guys :lol:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

dinner tonight is anybody's guess... I don't feel like making anything.. I just spent the last hour and half or so hobbling around at the laundromat :P

i am leaning towards mac and cheese but not sure what to serve with it.. hubby will want some kind of meat... :unsure: oh, maybe those chicken finger things... yeah that might work :thumbs: oooh, and I just bought some Italian bread crumbs last week, so i don't have to fuss around making my own.. yeah that's it... mac and cheese and chicken fingers... :thumbs:

thanks guys :lol:

You're welcome Marilyn! :lol: What a funny posting. It was almost like you were here! Here, as in in my house.

Quiche was good last night. Sent leftovers with Gene for lunch. No idea what we're having tonight.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Timeline
Wow, Kimmbo, thanks for the Cucumber Lemonade recipe - that looks really interesting. I think I will give it a try and will let you know how it goes.

Gosh, that sounds really good to me, too. Actually, it reminded me of cucumber water. Sometimes I will slice cucumbers into a pitcher of water and let it sit for a bit. It's really refreshing.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Last night we had potatoes, yes, just potatoes.

Mike hasn't been feeling good for a couple of days and not really eating much, so I decided potatoes are that bland food that someone might eat, which he did. I made regular and sweet potatoes and some oven fries.

Steak tonight since I took it out yesterday.

So, we have been busy little bees and have not had anything special since the meatloaf. We went to the Irish pub for burgers the other night. Best burgers I've had since I moved. Last night I finally got to sneak in the pizza I've been craving for the last few weeks. Hubby wasn't thrilled but I was happy as a clam. :lol: I am gradually using up everything in my fridge as we start counting down the days until we leave on our hols. We're going to be out and about this afternoon, so we'll probably just stop in to Pollo Tropical for our dinner.

iagree.gif

Timeline
So, we have been busy little bees and have not had anything special since the meatloaf. We went to the Irish pub for burgers the other night. Best burgers I've had since I moved. Last night I finally got to sneak in the pizza I've been craving for the last few weeks. Hubby wasn't thrilled but I was happy as a clam. :lol: I am gradually using up everything in my fridge as we start counting down the days until we leave on our hols. We're going to be out and about this afternoon, so we'll probably just stop in to Pollo Tropical for our dinner.

Yay for good burgers!! Wow almost holiday time, how exciting!!

I think they have a Pollo Tropical at the Seminole Mall? We drove by there a few weeks ago and I said to Mike ohhh that is the place that krikit said is good!

We didn't stop to eat of course as it was too hot :lol:

Mike hasn't been feeling good for a couple of days and not really eating much, so I decided potatoes are that bland food that someone might eat, which he did. I made regular and sweet potatoes and some oven fries.

That's when you play Top Chef and change it to "A trio of pomme de terre." lol

iagree.gif

Timeline

That's when you play Top Chef and change it to "A trio of pomme de terre." lol

Yes! That's what it was :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.