Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I wish I knew how to make smoked meat like they do in Montreal though. Yum!!

That would be awesome. I tried to find a substitute for it when I first moved down here, but I was sorely disappointed. I did find some recipes to make it myself, though. Hmmm. Maybe it's time for some R&D. :lol:

iagree.gif

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Marilyn...what's that green fruit in your Bumble? :unsure:

We had vegetable orzo salad and curried chicken salad on chibata for supper last night. I need to look in my freezer to see what I'm going to make today!

I was like what the heck are you talking about then I realized you were referring to the green towel that was under the dish :lol:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I wish I knew how to make smoked meat like they do in Montreal though. Yum!!

That would be awesome. I tried to find a substitute for it when I first moved down here, but I was sorely disappointed. I did find some recipes to make it myself, though. Hmmm. Maybe it's time for some R&D. :lol:

What is R&D (insert question mark here) my keyboard or something is acting up and I cant enter puncutation - but anyway.

Ok, Smokey bones, I really liked it, the pulled pork was good, I only had 1 bite of the chicken as it was toooo much food. I like their fire roasted corn and the fries were ok, a tad cold as Mike got lost going there as the map directions were wrong.

He liked his ribs - but preferred the smoked brisket.

Maybe you need some of this from Schwartzs http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index_eng.html:

spices.jpg

Edited by trailmix

What is R&D (insert question mark here) my keyboard or something is acting up and I cant enter puncutation - but anyway.

R&D = Research & Development

It usually takes me a number of times to refine my recipes and process until I obtain the results I am looking for, so I call it R&D. :D

Your keyboard acting up reminded me of the time at work when the spacebar stopped working on my keyboard at work. SoIemailedthehelpdeskandsentthemalong-windedparagraphtodescribemyproblem. They got the message. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

R&D = Research & Development

It usually takes me a number of times to refine my recipes and process until I obtain the results I am looking for, so I call it R&D. :D

Your keyboard acting up reminded me of the time at work when the spacebar stopped working on my keyboard at work. SoIemailedthehelpdeskandsentthemalong-windedparagraphtodescribemyproblem. They got the message. :lol:

:lol:

Oh and I take it you don't like Smokey Bones :huh:

You know all your talk of Mike's BBQ has made me want Mike's BBQ! Is he in a Mt Dora parking lot, I can't remember, have I already asked you that more than once? :lol:

Edited by trailmix

Oh and I take it you don't like Smokey Bones :huh:

You know all your talk of Mike's BBQ has made me want Mike's BBQ! Is he in a Mt Dora parking lot, I can't remember, have I already asked you that more than once? :lol:

How shall I put this without offending those who like Smokey Bones? :unsure:

BLECH!!!! SPIT!!! GAH!! :dead:

*ahem*

No.... I can't say I really care for them. :hehe:

Mike's BBQ is on Hwy 441. If you head west on SR 46, turn right at Mt Dora onto 441, past the flea market on the right and go up the hill, you'll see him on the left. Only Thur-Sat from 11:00am-8:00pm. You'll see a trailer and a huge smoker in front of a Haitian church.... that's him. If the trailer and the smoker's not there.... he's gone. :lol:

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline
How shall I put this without offending those who like Smokey Bones? :unsure:

BLECH!!!! SPIT!!! GAH!! :dead:

*ahem*

No.... I can't say I really care for them. :hehe:

:lol:

Well food is something I don't take personally....now if I was the chief cook and R&D person at smokey bones....nah :lol:

Mount Dora is 40 minutes from Lake Mary, that seems like a long trip - yeah, I know that is irrational :blink:

We had turkey meatloaf yesterday. I've not made it before and it was delicious! Herbed mashed potatoes and put back in the over with buttered cornflake crumbs overtop. Served with cooked corn, and some turkey gravy for Gene.

Tonight I suspect will be leftover night! Have to have that once a week!

carlahmsb4.gif

Turkey Meatloaf

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup shredded carrots

1/2 cup chopped celery

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1-1/2 cups crushed saltines (about 45 crackers)

3/4 cup ketchup, divided

1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

1 egg, lightly beaten

4 teaspoons ground mustard, divided

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1 teaspoon pepper

2-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey

2 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions:

In a large skillet, saute the onion, carrots and celery in oil until tender. In a large bowl, combine the onion mixture, cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup ketchup, parsley, egg, 2 teaspoons mustard, salt, garlic and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.

Shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour.

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and remaining ketchup and mustard until smooth. Spoon over meat loaf. Bake 10-20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.

** I didn't make the sauce for on top. We had mashed potatoes and Gene likes gravy on those, so I just used a roasted turkey gravy from a jar I bought. I just baked my meatloaf uncovered for an hour. The meat wasn't pink. Let is stand though, or it crumbles when you cut it.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

we had my own version of El Polo Loco chicken.. I marinated the chicken in a citrus marinade and then I would have grilled it but our BBQ is still out of gas so I just baked it in the oven... then I a stir fried the leftover rice and sgetti noodles I had and served that on the side and for dessert I made one of my hubby's favourites.. Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars...

tonight I am leaning towards pizza... made ham and pineapple.... oh darn I just remembered I don't have cheese...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Thanks Carla. That sounds good.

Low Carb Beefed-Up Meatloaf

2 lbs ground chuck or mix of ground chuck and ground pork

2 eggs

1/2 cup grated Parmesan

1/4 cup diced red onion

1/4 cup diced red peppers

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

2 cloves minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 pound prosciutto, or any type ham, thinly sliced

1/4 pound provolone cheese, sliced

Tomato Topping:

Leftover spaghetti sauce or....

1 8 oz can tomato sauce

1 6 oz can tomato paste

1/4 cup sugar or Splenda

2 teaspoons white vinegar or water

Preheat oven to 350.

In a small bowl, mix together the tomato topping ingredients; add few drops of water to thin to ketchup consistency. (I just use my leftover spaghetti sauce.) Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the beef, eggs, Parmesan, vegetables, herbs, and seasonings.

Working on a waxed paper lined sheet pan or counter, form meatloaf mix into a 10x8 inch flat rectangle. Place a layer of prosciutto or ham slices on top, followed by a layer of provolone slices. Roll up the stuffed meatloaf mix like a burrito and seal the edges all around by pinching the meat.

Place the roll, seam side down, into a 5x9 inch loaf pan. Spread a heavy coat of the tomato topping to completely cover the top of the meatloaf. Place in oven and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the temperature on a meat thermometer registers 165f. (I just look to see if the meat has shrunk from the sides of the pan.) Drain fat and let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing.

iagree.gif

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

No clue what's for dinner tonight...something easy though since we won't be here for supper tomorrow night. The less cooking done the better. I'm making a Spinach Quiche for lunch today...low calorie and if you like spinach, it's quite tasty!

1 box chopped spinach, thawed and drained

1 16 oz carton cottage cheese

2 eggs

Parmesan cheese

Salt and Pepper to taste

1 9 in pie crust

Butter or Margarine

Combine spinach, eggs, and cottage cheese...mix well. Pour into pie crust and generously top with parmesan and dot with butter. Place in preheated 375 oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.