Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Speaking of cucumbers... I am having cucumbers with Australian Murray River flake salt. Also a couple of beers. Tonight's sorry excuse for dinner is unfortunately pretty typical and perfect evidence that I should NOT be living alone :P

In contrast, dinner with my baby is generally quite involved... we often get pretty carried away with hours of complex prep work and come up with some really impressive stuff!

• 7/7/08 -- I-129f sent
  • 7/9/08 -- I-129f received at CSC
  • 7/24/08 -- NOA1 (finally!)
  • 12/2/08 -- NOA2 (WOOT!!!!)
  • 12/8/08 -- received at NVC
  • 12/22/08 -- packet 3 (with packet 4 attachment instead of checklist :P)
  • 12/29/08 -- packet 3 sent back with bits and pieces that I pulled together to make up a packet 3
  • 1/5/09 -- actual packet 3 received, but found out by via e-mail that they were satisfied with what I had already provided
  • 2/10/09 -- found out via call to DoS that my interview is scheduled!
  • 3/16/09 -- interview!!!! APROVED!!!
  • 4/7/09 -- MOVE!!!!!!!!
    Crossed at Detroit/Windsor Tunnel... pretty painless, about 45 minutes, inexperienced officer, asked for and received EA stamp
  • 4/13/09 -- Married in New Orleans!!!!!!!!
  • 5/30/09 -- Filed AOS/AP/EAD
  • 6/1/09 -- AOS etc received in Chicago

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

hehehe, well, I did break out some tinned ham, some left over chicken legs from last night, some cheese and some sliced tomatoes to go with those sliced cucumbers:-). Sigh - 1 down - 29 more to go from today - and more on the vine outside. Who knew one cucumber plant would be so prolific!?

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

What's your address - I still have 4 or 5 jars from last year's harvest! :P

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

ha ha

my grandma made the best pickles.. people would come and buy her pickles from all over the place.... they would even try making them and they just wouldn't come out the same.. so they figured it was the well water she used so they would come and get the water but it still didn't work... lol I remember once I almost at a whole jar in one sitting :blush:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

yesterday was kind of crazy meal wise because we just got back from our trip and stuff..

but for dinner I made myself this yummy thing I kind of invented ... I took a gordita ( a kind of thick tortilla) and put some process cheese slices and tomato slices on it and threw it under the broiler for a bit and then I sprinkled with some salt and pepper and ate it with some ranch dressing on the side.. mmmm yummy.. might make myself another one today...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
yesterday was kind of crazy meal wise because we just got back from our trip and stuff..

but for dinner I made myself this yummy thing I kind of invented ... I took a gordita ( a kind of thick tortilla) and put some process cheese slices and tomato slices on it and threw it under the broiler for a bit and then I sprinkled with some salt and pepper and ate it with some ranch dressing on the side.. mmmm yummy.. might make myself another one today...

Sounds addictive!

We had roast for dinner - I have to say it may be one of the best roasts I have ever had - then some roasted squash, potatoes and peppers.

Filed: Timeline

Mmmmm cucumbers. You've probably already had/thought of these, Kathryn, but here's what came off the top of my head:

• Tzatziki
  • Greek salad
  • Sliced cucumbers in a sweet vinaigrette (water, vinegar, sugar) with dill
  • Sliced cucumbers and onion in sour cream with salt & pepper or tzatziki
  • Cucumber sandwiches where the cucumbers are lightly marinated in a mint sauce. If you can't find mint sauce you can make it by sprinkling sugar over the mint, chopping it, then adding it to a mix of vinegar and water.
  • Hollow out core of cucumber and stuff with seasoned cream cheese. You can also stuff them with julienned carrots and/or avocado or shrimp salad or crab or things like that. Kind of like a veggie roll.
  • Vegetable lasagna where you slice the cucumber in lengths and use them in place of the noodles.
There was something else I thought of but my mind went completely blank just now. :blink:

My husband is working late tonight, so we will be having Vietnamese soup when he gets in.

iagree.gif

Timeline

still not sure what i'm making but chicken sounds good

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
Mmmmm cucumbers. You've probably already had/thought of these, Kathryn, but here's what came off the top of my head:
  • Tzatziki - actually haven't tried this yet, good suggestions :-)
  • Greek salad - yes!
  • Sliced cucumbers in a sweet vinaigrette (water, vinegar, sugar) with dill - - yep and added tomatoes
  • Sliced cucumbers and onion in sour cream with salt & pepper or tzatziki - yes, and have done it with yoghurt too
  • Cucumber sandwiches where the cucumbers are lightly marinated in a mint sauce. If you can't find mint sauce you can make it by sprinkling sugar over the mint, chopping it, then adding it to a mix of vinegar and water. - oo - didn't try it with mint sauce - that would be good! Did them with tomatoes and cream cheese though:-)
  • Hollow out core of cucumber and stuff with seasoned cream cheese. You can also stuff them with julienned carrots and/or avocado or shrimp salad or crab or things like that. Kind of like a veggie roll. - another good one to try!
  • Vegetable lasagna where you slice the cucumber in lengths and use them in place of the noodles. - aha ! Another one to try, cool!
There was something else I thought of but my mind went completely blank just now. :blink:

Thanks Krikit - these are great suggestions!

My husband is working late tonight, so we will be having Vietnamese soup when he gets in.

Ratatouille tonight - while we have lots and lots of cucumbers, the other vegetables are coming in strong too - so fresh eggplant, peppers, zucchini, yellow squash - and I'll see what else I find to throw in:-). Too bad cucumbers don't taste as good cooked - but I might just try adding one to give it a try.

Edited by Kathryn41

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes and peas, yummy

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

No idea what I'm making tonight!

Kathryn41, any leftover cucumbers you can't eat....think about taking them to your local... home for unwed mothers, food pantry, or soup kitchen.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Timeline
Thanks Krikit - these are great suggestions!

You are welcome. :)

Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes and peas, yummy

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. My favourite. But it wasn't Sunday yesterday! :lol: Was that your goodbye dinner?

Kathryn41, any leftover cucumbers you can't eat....think about taking them to your local... home for unwed mothers, food pantry, or soup kitchen.

Or open a stall at the Farmer's Market! :lol:

I used to love when my former co-workers would bring in the excess produce from their gardens. (And halloween :lol: ) I really miss those guys. :(

My husband loved the Vietnamese soup. I had been out running around for most of the day and didn't have time to prepare it like I normally would, so I did it in the pressure cooker. Turned out fabulous. So now I'm going to go on a pressure cooking binge. :lol:

I have some baby back ribs which have been sitting in a homemade rub for the last 24 hours. I'm going to smoke them with some hickory wood on the bbq, baste them with my homemade bbq sauce, and have potato skins and either a salad or some carrot and celery sticks with blue cheese dressing on the side. I think I'm leaning towards the veg and dip, though.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.