Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We found an awesome deal...a 1987 Vovlo 240 DL for $700 cash. The guy just wanted to get rid of it. One owner too. We lucked out on this one, even if it has a lot of mileage. It's mainly to get from point A to point B but Joel is rather proud to have his own wheels...no more carpooling!

Thanks for asking Carla...things are looking up for our Anna. I'm hoping this is our last trip for a while to Scottish Rite (Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Hospital for Children). This was our third trip this month and it's a good hour and a half drive one way. Anna was recently diagnosed with epilepsy and her pediatric neurologist is in Atlanta across from the children's hospital. Anytime she needs tests run, this is where we have to go. This last one was a toughie...but the results were what we figured they would be. *sigh* Anywho, between the doctors, the staff, and us, she is getting the best medical care available in the U.S. CHOA is one of the top children's hospitals in the country and we are fortunate to live so close.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Timeline
I'm not too big on cold soups, but might be willing to try making on if it gets too hot this summer! Might try a diced gazpacho soup for starters...anyone like that?

I've made my own gazpacho, and I've had North American gazpacho. It was really good. When I was in Spain a couple of years ago I ordered gazpacho. WOW. Totally unlike North American versions. It was incredible. I am looking forward to having it, again, in a few weeks while I am over there. Only 19 more sleeps! :dance:

OMG! How am I going to lose 20 lbs in 19 sleeps? :o

:lol:

Last night we had leftover cream of leek soup. It was really lovely. Tonight I am going to make Thai lettuce wraps. :)

How is the NA version different than the Sparnish one? We're going to miss you when you're gone...19 sleeps to go, how many sleeps for us until you return? :crying:

18 sleeps till I leave! :dance: 40 sleeps till I return! :crying:

The NA version blends everything into the soup in one giant batch.... tomatoes, peppers, etc etc. The Spanish version came as a clear and perfectly flavoured broth, with different vegetables and something-else-that-I-can't-remember on the side that you added as you wish.

So..... last night we had Ma Po Tofu instead of Thai lettuce wraps. Guess what's for dinner this evening? :lol:

We found an awesome deal...a 1987 Vovlo 240 DL for $700 cash. The guy just wanted to get rid of it. One owner too. We lucked out on this one, even if it has a lot of mileage. It's mainly to get from point A to point B but Joel is rather proud to have his own wheels...no more carpooling!

Thanks for asking Carla...things are looking up for our Anna. I'm hoping this is our last trip for a while to Scottish Rite (Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Hospital for Children). This was our third trip this month and it's a good hour and a half drive one way. Anna was recently diagnosed with epilepsy and her pediatric neurologist is in Atlanta across from the children's hospital. Anytime she needs tests run, this is where we have to go. This last one was a toughie...but the results were what we figured they would be. *sigh* Anywho, between the doctors, the staff, and us, she is getting the best medical care available in the U.S. CHOA is one of the top children's hospitals in the country and we are fortunate to live so close.

That's a great deal on the car, Karen. Volvo's are awesome. Good to hear things are looking up for your daughter. She is in my prayers for continued improvement on her way to better health. (F)

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know what's for dinner, as you guys know, we have grilled cheese when cooking is not interesting - which is good since I like them a lot.

Do you guys have a staple you use when no one is interested in cooking?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

usually hotdogs or mac and cheese with hotdogs in it :lol:

but we got tired of hotdogs so we bought some frozen hamburger patties and we have those when I don't feel like cooking...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Dinner is anybody's guess tonight.. I have to drag hubby to Walmart today after he gets homes from work to get his sunglasses fixed.... so maybe we will just eat out.. who knows....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I don't know what's for dinner, as you guys know, we have grilled cheese when cooking is not interesting - which is good since I like them a lot.

Hmmm. Can't really think of anything. Unless you count Mike's BBQ. But I can only be interested in not cooking on a Thursday Friday or Saturday because those are the only days he's there. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We ended up having Kraft dinner and hot dogs last night. And i didnt have too cook it.

Well tonight i wont get so lucky, My hubby (love that i can say that now) is working tonight. But at least I know what were having. Its taco tonight and I even know what i'm making tomorow, lasagna my daughters favorite. I havent told her yet.

I think chicken would be a staple in this house. But not really unless I count cereal cause its pretty much the only thing that wouldnt have to be cooked.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I have a boneless chuck roast marinating in balsamic vinegar (only vinegar I have) with olive oil and salt. I suppose I'll roast it in the oven...slow cooked. Not sure what veggies I have in the freezer...homemade bread. This roast is big enough that we can have it tomorrow too, or I can pour some BBQ sauce on it once I've pulled it apart for tomorrow.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

Tonight - southern barbeque over kaiser buns, with fresh cucumbers, tomatoes and feta cheese salad.

Our staple when we don't feel like cooking means that Joe puts hot dogs on a bun or bread, covers them with canned chili and then sauerkraut and sliced onions and pops it the microwave. If I don't want to cook I generally just make omelettes using whatever ingredients I have as a filling - quick, easy and nutritious.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

And since this is the food thread, let me say that my husband and I found the one BAD Tim Horton's :( We took a trip to Maine over the weekend. On the way, hubby was super excited because we saw a Timmy's. So, he ordered a double double and the girl looked at him like he was nuts. After he explained what he wanted, he got his coffee and I got an iced coffee (caramel flavor). Both coffees were bad .... bitter, and bland at the same time. Such a sad day for us.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Timeline

I have had the same experience with Tim Horton's in Michigan - the coffee didn't taste the same, nor did the sandwiches - or the soup, or anything! I am not sure why they are different - different suppliers, maybe - but yeah, they aren't nearly as good as the ones in Canada.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I bought some Salmon Burgers from Costco which I think are an excellent "staple" for those times when I'm not interested in cooking. I love cooking, so it's usually not a problem, but the few times I've been really busy during the day, and just didn't "plan" anything, Gene offers to order in pizza, or we go out to eat.

Sometimes I'll do like Kathryn, and make up an omelet, with whatever I might have on hand. Or I'll make up some quick vegetable soup, and make one of those spinach sandwich loafs. I always have puff pastry, and spinach around. So, that's one of my "staples". :lol:

Last night we had a rotissaire chicken I bought at Costco. I sliced up a breast from it. We had whole grain bread, olives, tomatoes, cheese, lettuce, pickles, condiments and tabouli salad. Nice light coooool supper.

No idea what I'm going to have tonight!

carlahmsb4.gif

Yeah, definitely the Timmy's are different in the US. Kinda like Wendy's. In fact, they're owned by the same company aren't they? lol

OH! Speaking of Timmy's!! We have family emails back and forth to keep up because we're spread out all over the place... New Zealand, Vancouver, Ontario, England, US. Well, my cousin in Vancouver emailed about an incident at Timmy's and my cousin in England (who had moved back there from Vancouver about 5 years ago) replied "Who's Timmy?" My aunt (her Mom) replied:

"Oh Sandi. Please stop letting the family down so publicly...Timmy's aka Tim Horton's..Get it??LOL..LOL.. LOL How quickly you forget."

I thought that was really funny. :lol:

Anywhoooo..... back to topic. Our lettuce wraps were really good last night. We had them with soup because it was raining here. I do not have a plan for this evening. I'm still jonesing for a pizza and my husband is still saying he doesn't want one. So.... yeah. Maybe I'll make a pizza. :hehe:

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
"Oh Sandi. Please stop letting the family down so publicly...Timmy's aka Tim Horton's..Get it??LOL..LOL.. LOL How quickly you forget."

:lol:

All good non-cooking, kind of cooking, suggestions. What we ended up having last night was - pizza hut pasta! I had also made a cake, put cherries in it, it was rather good and this was also way too much food!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.