Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Krikit is making leek soup because she has tons of leeks - I am making cucumber soup because we have tons of cucumbers - well, not tons yet, but our cucumber plant is producing very nicely. So 4 medium cucumbers, 16 oz of plain yoghurt, a tsp of fresh dill, half a cup of chopped green onions, half a teaspoon of parsley, a tsp of Mrs. Dash's seasoning, all blended smooth in the blender and chilled for an hour before dinner.

I also did a salad plate with servings of crab salad, hummus, guacamole, sliced cheese, deviled eggs and cherry tomatoes from the garden, with cornbread muffins. Now, I'm full!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Timeline

Wow. That sounds awesome, Kathryn. Mmmmm.... cucumber soup. I used to have a fabulous recipe for cucumber soup. I wonder what I did with it?

Still waiting for hubby to come home so we can have our cream of leek soup. It's one of the recipes in the family cookbook I was given for my wedding. It sounds like it's going to be really good. Well.... back to chopping. :)

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I ended up making this.. I have made it before and it is good... I don't use Rotel though just a can of Italian diced tomatoes... I just add extra spices... and today I threw in a whole pickled jalapeno pepper... oh and I don't add the cheese just seems kind of weird to me...

if you just use regular canned tomatoes it will be bland. You need to use Rotel which is tomatoes and green chilis. You could also add some onion but I omit because the less prep the better. Prep time is less than 5 minutes and only 1 pan to clean.

SERVES 4

1 lb chicken tenders, raw

1 (16 ounce) can chicken broth

1 (10 ounce) can rotel

1 cup white rice, uncooked

1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

garlic powder

salt & pepper

1. Using a large, deep skillet with a cover pour can of chicken broth and can of rotel into skillet.

2. Stir in cup of rice.

3. Lay chicken tenders on top of rice and sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper. Go easy on the pepper if you don't like it too hot because the Rotel has a little kick to it.

4. Cover and cook over medium high heat for 20 minutes or until chicken is opaque.

5. Remove from heat and sprinkle with the cheese. Stir lightly until cheese melts slightly.

6. Serve with a nice salad.

http://www.recipezaar.com/159348

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I think I said I was going to make meatloaf yesterday, but I changed my mind! :wacko:

We had Greek Pasta Bake, and it was kind of bland. It's basically elbow macaroni, a tomato based ground beef filling, then macaroni again on top, topped with a white parmesean sauce and baked. They had called for cinnamon and nutmeg in a few places, but otherwise it was a bit bland. We had chibata and a salad to accompany.

Marilyn, those chicken breasts with cream cheese sound divine, and I was drooling looking at the picture, so that's what I'm going to attempt tonight. Will let you know how they taste!

Mmmmmmmmmm cream of leek soup! I love leeks. I make a mean #######-a-leeky pie. :thumbs:

I'm not too big on cold soups, but might be willing to try making on if it gets too hot this summer! Might try a diced gazpacho soup for starters...anyone like that?

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've never actually tried gazpacho, but I might like it!

Well I did make the spinach triangles yesterday, I substituted pepperjack cheese with jalapenos and habanero peppers, it was a tad too spicy for me so I had 1 bite and Mike ate the rest - glad someone liked them. :lol:

Tonight - bacon wrapped steak and something to go with it!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I have no earthly idea what to make for dinner. I have bread to make today, so at least we'll have fresh bread. I'm tired of the same old same old dishes. I do have a few on here that I want to try...it's just so hot that I'd rather do simple quick stuff. I guess I'll prowl my favourite recipe sites while the bread is rising.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline
I think I said I was going to make meatloaf yesterday, but I changed my mind! :wacko:

We had Greek Pasta Bake, and it was kind of bland. It's basically elbow macaroni, a tomato based ground beef filling, then macaroni again on top, topped with a white parmesean sauce and baked. They had called for cinnamon and nutmeg in a few places, but otherwise it was a bit bland. We had chibata and a salad to accompany.

Marilyn, those chicken breasts with cream cheese sound divine, and I was drooling looking at the picture, so that's what I'm going to attempt tonight. Will let you know how they taste!

Mmmmmmmmmm cream of leek soup! I love leeks. I make a mean #######-a-leeky pie. :thumbs:

I'm not too big on cold soups, but might be willing to try making on if it gets too hot this summer! Might try a diced gazpacho soup for starters...anyone like that?

yes please let me know ... I wanted to make them yesterday but I didn't have the cream cheese or the bacon :(... I showed hubby the picture and he said, "those sure look healthy" :P ...lol

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

tonight I am making my mom's famous sweet and sour sausage.... I am using bratwurst but my mom always used Farmer Sausage which you can't get down here :crying: I have also used garlic sausage with this recipe and it is good but nothing like farmer sausage...

the recipe was originally for ribs but my mom always used it for sausage... .... I haven't made it in ages.... going to serve it with some rice but it is also good with mashed potaotes...

the sauce is:

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup ketchup

1/8 cup vinegar

1/2 cup water

2 tablespoons cornstarch

Farmer sausage(@2 feet long)

Mix all the ingredients together and pour over sausage.. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour...

I am using about 6 bratwurst that I will cut into chunks...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Something quick and easy today - been busy and running out of energy now:-) So, frozen fish in cajun sauce, cheese and potato frozen perogies both done in the oven, and sliced cucumbers. It's hot!!!!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Joel is gonna grill some chicken tonight...the marinade is making me soooo hungry! Cheese potatoes I think and I've finally finished up my bread today. Three loaves, two bread sticks (garlic and cheese in one, topped with dill weed and parmesan and garlic topped with Italian seasoning) and a small pan of cinnamon rolls.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Well tonight we're going to have left over Greek Pasta that I made the other day. Now last nights chicken, from the recipe that Marilyn gave us...OMG....talk about DECADENT!!!! It was incredible. I pounded out six boneless skinless chicken breasts, and spread the onion chive cream cheese on them, rolled them up, wrapped a bacon slice around them, inserted toothpicks...and viola! They were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!! Reminiscent of a "special" occassion meal, you certainly couldn't make them everyday, but I highly recommend them. Warning however, you should love cream cheese...otherwise I don't think you'll like them. I made up some Israeli grain mixture. (That's what it was called...) from Trader Joes and it was incredible also. Very nutty...and grainy. :lol: A broccolli slaw rounded things out.

I also made a rhubarb coffee cake the other day that was out of this world. Let me know if anyone wants the recipe.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Timeline

I've made my own gazpacho, and I've had North American gazpacho. It was really good. When I was in Spain a couple of years ago I ordered gazpacho. WOW. Totally unlike North American versions. It was incredible. I am looking forward to having it, again, in a few weeks while I am over there. Only 19 more sleeps! :dance:

OMG! How am I going to lose 20 lbs in 19 sleeps? :o

:lol:

Last night we had leftover cream of leek soup. It was really lovely. Tonight I am going to make Thai lettuce wraps. :)

iagree.gif

Timeline
Well tonight we're going to have left over Greek Pasta that I made the other day. Now last nights chicken, from the recipe that Marilyn gave us...OMG....talk about DECADENT!!!! It was incredible. I pounded out six boneless skinless chicken breasts, and spread the onion chive cream cheese on them, rolled them up, wrapped a bacon slice around them, inserted toothpicks...and viola! They were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!! Reminiscent of a "special" occassion meal, you certainly couldn't make them everyday, but I highly recommend them. Warning however, you should love cream cheese...otherwise I don't think you'll like them. I made up some Israeli grain mixture. (That's what it was called...) from Trader Joes and it was incredible also. Very nutty...and grainy. :lol: A broccolli slaw rounded things out.

I also made a rhubarb coffee cake the other day that was out of this world. Let me know if anyone wants the recipe.

yeah just from the looks of it I wouldn't want to make it regularly... mmm, now I really want to try it...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Only 19 more sleeps! :dance:

OMG! How am I going to lose 20 lbs in 19 sleeps? :o

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

We had the bacon wrapped steak last night. These particular steaks come in a set of 2, wrapped in like the round plastic things. Anyway they were on sale for $ 3.99, so I thought, what the heck, we will try them. They were so good!! Had potatoes and sweet potatoes/gravy with them.

Not sure about tonight, hmm, will need to look in the fridge and see what's there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.