Krikit

Grocery Items Unavailable in the US

477 posts in this topic

I was just checking out your spreadsheet... so many things on there available here!!!

Oreos, Kraft Dinner, Heinz Ketchup, Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup, etc, etc.

Maybe it's different in other states. I would think Florida would be worse than many others.

When I first moved I was surprised not to find Vim cream bleach! My husband had never heard of it haha

ROC Journey:

01/19/11 I-751 & ROC package sent via USPS Priority

01/21/11 Package delivered to California Service Center

01/25/11 Check cashed

03/07/11 Biometrics

04/14/11 Approval Notice Date

04/18/11 Approval Notice Received

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I was just checking out your spreadsheet... so many things on there available here!!!

Maybe it's different in other states. I would think Florida would be worse than many others.

When I first moved I was surprised not to find Vim cream bleach! My husband had never heard of it haha

But alot of the "same" products have HFCS which the Canadian products don't, so it tastes different even though it has the same brand name.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Does anyone know where to find BBQ peanuts? They're basically non-existant in Kentucky, and it's expensive for hubby's family to keep sending them to him.

"Я тебя люблю. Эти слова имеют мою жизнь в них."

Eligible for N-400 early based on Section 329 of the INA, Service During Hostilities

lLNXm5.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

But alot of the "same" products have HFCS which the Canadian products don't, so it tastes different even though it has the same brand name.

It's just generally sweeter too.

I used vim too, so I bought clorox cream - i'm not using it anymore though as i find it must obviously contain a lot of bleach because if you get even a little dab on your clothing it bleaches it, which I didn't find to be a problem with vim.

Anyway, I only bought that as we had a fiberglass bath, now it is a porcelain one so I will go back to baking soda and vinegar :thumbs:

Filed: Timeline

Okay..... spreadsheet updated. :)

- Sultana raisins

I went a little nutty trying to find sultanas until I discovered that they're called "Golden" raisins here. <_<

Clover leaf tuna. I miss it soo much.

We have Clover Leaf tuna here in sunny Fla. Maybe you should move here, Nevada. :P

Oh...one other thing I noticed is that I don't think Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup tastes the same here as it does back in Canada. I mentioned that to my mother and in our Christmas package she sent two whole flats of soup! :P YAY!

Blech. I made Campbell's Tomato soup the other day and it was HORRIBLE. :dead: I've decided to make my own from now on.

iagree.gif

Timeline
Blech. I made Campbell's Tomato soup the other day and it was HORRIBLE. :dead: I've decided to make my own from now on.

I think they had the british tomato soup at world market - they also had heinz beans and spaghetti :hehe:

I think they had the british tomato soup at world market - they also had heinz beans and spaghetti :hehe:

Oh good. I'll check there, then. My husband says I should try the organic soups too. Oh, and I bought the Dr Oetker's lava cake mix at the Work Market! :lol:

Oh!!! You have Holiday Topo Gigio! :lol::thumbs:

Oh good. I'll check there, then. My husband says I should try the organic soups too. Oh, and I bought the Dr Oetker's lava cake mix at the Work Market! :lol:

I mean WORLD Market!!!!!!! :rofl:

iagree.gif

Timeline

:lol:

I love xmas topo gigio! Are you working on Valentine's day and Easter topo now?

I love xmas topo gigio! Are you working on Valentine's day and Easter topo now?

Oh, and I think I had a Freudian slip re Work Market. I have so much to do and yet I'm sitting here at this silly computer. :bonk:

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

You know what I found interesting? Is that the names of some products are different, but essentially identical otherwise. Take for instance Nabisco (which is owned by Kraft). It has that has an isosceles triangle in red and white, positioned in the upper-left hand corner on boxes with an orb and antenna-like object. In Canada, the brand is called "Christie's" for some reason. That's a different name, but the same triangle and colors. In yet other countries, the triangle simply had the Kraft logo.

So... both companies -- Nabisco and Christie's -- are owned by Kraft. I wonder why the names are different in the two countries. Maybe those two were bought up by Kraft at some time or another, but originally they were their own separate entities? :unsure:

Another one is DiGiorno in the U.S., but Delissio in Canada. It's the same damn thing! Why the different names?

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I could be wrong, but I think the reason they have two separate companies is because of the fact that the ingredients have to be different and they're not the exact same product. The formulations for products have to be a little different if there are ingredients that you can't use in one, that you use in the other. One that comes to mind for me is HFCS, which I know is harped on like crazy, but it's the reason that I would think they'd have two different companies.

Does that make any sense at all?! :P

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I could be wrong, but I think the reason they have two separate companies is because of the fact that the ingredients have to be different and they're not the exact same product. The formulations for products have to be a little different if there are ingredients that you can't use in one, that you use in the other. One that comes to mind for me is HFCS, which I know is harped on like crazy, but it's the reason that I would think they'd have two different companies.

Does that make any sense at all?! :P

That does makes sense. However, some items have HFCS (yes, I know that was just your example, but I'm going to use it) and the name of the product is the same.

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That is absolutely true DeadPool! I have no idea why this is exactly. I was just trying to hypothesize! :P

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Clover leaf tuna. I miss it soo much.

We have Clover Leaf tuna here in sunny Fla. Maybe you should move here, Nevada. :P

Which grocery store? I have yet to see it... but my publix stores (PLURAL) are horrible in my area.

ROC Journey:

01/19/11 I-751 & ROC package sent via USPS Priority

01/21/11 Package delivered to California Service Center

01/25/11 Check cashed

03/07/11 Biometrics

04/14/11 Approval Notice Date

04/18/11 Approval Notice Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.