Krikit

Grocery Items Unavailable in the US

477 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Apparently Heinz sells an organic brand that is a little more similar to the Canadian Ketchup since it uses Sugar instead of HFCS. There is more sugar in Canadian ketchup so it doesn't taste quite the same.

Also I found this website from a link about the differences between the two. It seems to have some of the products that can't be found in the US.

http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Mark

Just looked at this website a bit more and they ship to the US...easy way to get some of the stuff that we are missing down here! :)

AOS

Date Filed : 2008-02-15

NOA Date : 2008-02-26

RFE(s) : 2008-03-13

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-18

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : 2008-07-23

Approval / Denial Date : 2008-07-23

Approved : 2008-07-23

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received:

EAD

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-18

Approved Date : 2008-04-24

Date Card Received : 2008-05-03

Comments : Packet Arrived in Chicago - Feb 20, 2008

Check cashed Feb 28, 2008

AP

RFE(s) :

Date Approved: 2008-04-24

Date Received : 2008-05-01

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, the website is great and a lot of us have taken advantage of them - the only problem is that their shipping costs are astronomical and they have a minimum order amount that may be more than you want to spend:-).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Krikit

Wow, what a comprehensive spreadsheet list of Canadian foods and products. It sure brings back a lot of memories of carting carloads of food over the border..lol...I'll definately have to shop in Canada sometime soon.

By the way, can you add the following items to the list. Thanks.:

1) Smarties (I know you already have that one, but I can't help but mention it again...)

2) Bagged milk (Any brand. Jugged milk doesn't taste any good here)

3) Tylenol with codeine (only by prescription in the US, ask behind the counter in Canada)

4) Non-food item: Videos/DVDs of Canadian TV shows

5) Kinder Surprise Chocolate Eggs

6) A Canadian English Dictionary (Lol...American English isn't the same...)

7) Loonies, Twoonies (No wait, you can leave those behind in Canada)

Ant (Craving smarties...)

I have taken the liberty of creating a spreadsheet detailing a list of Canadian products unavailable in the US and have added comparables where I could. This list was compiled using input from the Heinz Ketchup thread, as well as from my own experience. Please feel free to let me know of any additions or amendments, as this is a work in progress.

Grocery Items Spreadsheet

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi Krikit

Wow, what a comprehensive spreadsheet list of Canadian foods and products. It sure brings back a lot of memories of carting carloads of food over the border..lol...I'll definately have to shop in Canada sometime soon.

By the way, can you add the following items to the list. Thanks.:

1) Smarties (I know you already have that one, but I can't help but mention it again...)

2) Bagged milk (Any brand. Jugged milk doesn't taste any good here)

3) Tylenol with codeine (only by prescription in the US, ask behind the counter in Canada)

4) Non-food item: Videos/DVDs of Canadian TV shows

5) Kinder Surprise Chocolate Eggs

6) A Canadian English Dictionary (Lol...American English isn't the same...)

7) Loonies, Twoonies (No wait, you can leave those behind in Canada)

Ant (Craving smarties...)

I have taken the liberty of creating a spreadsheet detailing a list of Canadian products unavailable in the US and have added comparables where I could. This list was compiled using input from the Heinz Ketchup thread, as well as from my own experience. Please feel free to let me know of any additions or amendments, as this is a work in progress.

Grocery Items Spreadsheet

a lot of them are available down here.. like Corner Gas...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

AntandD is so right SMARTIES, I so miss them. Great memories with my grandfather and he always had smarties when you went to visit. I get my mom to bring me some when she comes to visit.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Timeline

I should probably lose my Canadian citizen automatically for saying this but I like M&M's better then Smarties :whistle:

i ate Smarties but I was never a big fan of them... :shrugs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
I should probably lose my Canadian citizen automatically for saying this but I like M&M's better then Smarties :whistle:

OMG Marilyn we are going to have hold a vote and see for sure :whistle:

Timeline

not sure if I mentioned this before but "The Dollar Tree" used to sell coffee crisps.... but i haven't seen them there the last couple of times I have been there :(

I am hoping for the day I see Mr big bars down here...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

We went to Walgreen's today, they had ketchup chips and shreddies - I don't generally eat either of those things, but good to see anyway!

I'm so going to Walgreens tomorrow. With this pregnancy, I've been craving everything I haven't had in a long time and those 2 are on my list of "have to eat items" lol.

Mary

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

October 2006 - I-129F sent

10/24/2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!....APPROVED!!

10/30/2007 - Visa in hand!

AOS Timeline:

1/30/08 - Sent AOS pkg Priority Mail with USPS

3/12/08 - Biometrics taken

3/29/08 - EAD and AP in hand for me and my son

5/21/08 - Email-GC on its way!...RFE for my son's application

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

7/02/08 - Sons GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

4/22/10 - Biometrics Appt for me and my son

6/30/10 - Email saying card production ordered for me and my son

7/6/10 - Letter in the mail saying cards will arrive within 60 days

7/10/10 - Both cards received!

Timeline

We have also seen Ketchup chips at The Dollar Tree, they are Herr's brand and very flavourful.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm with you, they were way too sweet I recall and they were worse then a leaky pen. You'd have the coloring all over the place from when the dye would come off. I'll stick to Reese's Pieces for my candy yum.

With the Ketchup chips, Walmart at one point had them selling here and my friend at work bought be a few big bags. They discontinued them a short time later before I could get anymore. They where Herr's and tasted just like any other brand. Not sure what dollar stores we have around here, but I might have to go check...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Timeline
We went to Walgreen's today, they had ketchup chips and shreddies - I don't generally eat either of those things, but good to see anyway!

I'm so going to Walgreens tomorrow. With this pregnancy, I've been craving everything I haven't had in a long time and those 2 are on my list of "have to eat items" lol.

Mary

Yay Trailmix for saving PFC from a fate worse than death! (I.E. a hormonal pregnant wife who can't get her Shreddies.) :lol:

I'm with you, they were way too sweet I recall and they were worse then a leaky pen. You'd have the coloring all over the place from when the dye would come off. I'll stick to Reese's Pieces for my candy yum.

Oh no! Those bleeding colours were ESSENTIAL to having pretend lipstick! You would get the red ones wet then rub them all over your lips! Plus I liked the psychedelic colours it left all over your hand. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

With the Ketchup chips, Walmart at one point had them selling here and my friend at work bought be a few big bags. They discontinued them a short time later before I could get anymore. They where Herr's and tasted just like any other brand. Not sure what dollar stores we have around here, but I might have to go check...

phew, so I am not the only one.. yeah I thought Smarties were too sweet too... I will stick with the dark chocolate M&M's ...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.