aussiewench

i-601: General Moral Support, i-601 app

1,630 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Some of the requirements are same but the time frame and local requirements may vary from state to state in Mexico. It may be shorter where you are trying to marry, they told me it would take about 1.5-2 wks to get everything done.

Melissa, I found this:

Marrying A Mexican National

So far, the above requirements have assumed that a foreigner is marrying a foreigner in Mexico. If you plan to marry a Mexican National in Mexico, you'll need to fulfil some additional requirements:

In addition to all of the above documentation, you will need to obtain permission from the "Secretaria de Gobernacion - Oficina de Migracion" where for a fee of around US$200 you'll need to acquire a permit to marry a Mexican national. The document is known as "Permiso para contraer matrimonio con un nacional".

The office issuing this permit must be the same office that has jurisdiction over the area where the marriage is to take place - so check beforehand!

This process can take from two days to two weeks, depending on the State and the people at the local government office: be prepared to be patient if you have to!

Here is the website:

http://www.mexperience.com/guide/weddings/...ing_married.htm

K-1

09/14/05 sent in petition

12/20/05 case at CDJ

1/09/06 Had interview and placed on Administrative Processing/221(g) for 6 months.

07/06/06 Interview, Successful!!!

07/06/06 Fiance receives Visa and enters U.S.!

09/02/06 Wedding Day!

AOS

12/09/06 Mailed AOS package.

12/11/06 USCIS receives AOS package

12/14/06 NOA1

12/26/06 Rec'd Bio Letter

12/28/06 Rec'd email: Transferred to CSC!!!

12/31/06 *Touched*

01/02/07 Original Biometrics appt. (postponed)

01/05/07 Rec'd email: Case pending at CSC

01/08/07 Infopass for Biometrics *Touched*

01/09/07 Rec'd email Case transferred to CSC(again)

01/15/07 *Touched*

01/17/07 Received email case pending at CSC(again)

01/18/07 *Touched*

01/20/07 *Touched*

06/27/07 Letter welcoming new resident mailed!

07/02/07 Recv'd 2 yr conditional GC!

EAD

02/28/07 efiled

03/01/07 Rec'd at CSC, NOA1

03/01/07 mailed supporting documents to CSC

03/02/07 pending at CSC

03/05/07 Rec'd Bio Letter

03/13/07 *Touched*

03/16/07 Bio Appt. *Touched*

03/17/07 *Touched*

03/20/07 Rec'd approval email

03/23/07 EAD received!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

miss liss, i was married in mexico and we did it in 3 days. but, make sure you have everything prepared and ready. i was married in july of 2005. my husband had all the proper paper work and i made sure i had everything (my birth cert trans in spanish, copy of passport, copy of mexican passport). i might be forgetting some things. sorry, i'm trying to remember exactly what we did . i know my husband did the research and talked with a lady at the immigation office (who incidently processed our paperwork) it's actually easier than it sounds, as long as you have everything in order (to me, gathering the paperwork was the hardest and pain in butt.) i'll ask my husband if he remembers and what exactly he did. i only took off for a week. oh yeah, do your bloodwork a day before you go to immigration. we did bloodwork wednesday, paperwork, paid fee, and running around on thursday. we were wed on friday morning.

i have read that it could take up to 30 days for immigration to issue a permit. it only took them 1 day to issue ours. i hope this helps. don't get discouraged! :no: hang in there! :thumbs:

------------------------------------------------------

09-00-1995______Husband EWI

02-04-1999______Meet Husband

07-02-2005______Husband returned to Mexico

11-11-2005______Married in Mexico

01-25-2006______Filed I-130

02-14-2006______Rec'd NOA1

05-02-2006______I-130 APPROVED!!!

05-30-2006______Rec'd Case # & AOS Bill

06-05-2006______Overnight AOS Bill

07-28-2006______Rec'd Visa Bill

12-18-2006______Rec'd DS-230

03-07-2007______Case Complete

currently awaiting instruction packet and appt!!!!

miss liss, i found my thread at visapro when i was inquiring about marrying in mexico. hope this helps too!

https://www.visapro.com/Message-Board/showthread.php?t=15493

------------------------------------------------------

09-00-1995______Husband EWI

02-04-1999______Meet Husband

07-02-2005______Husband returned to Mexico

11-11-2005______Married in Mexico

01-25-2006______Filed I-130

02-14-2006______Rec'd NOA1

05-02-2006______I-130 APPROVED!!!

05-30-2006______Rec'd Case # & AOS Bill

06-05-2006______Overnight AOS Bill

07-28-2006______Rec'd Visa Bill

12-18-2006______Rec'd DS-230

03-07-2007______Case Complete

currently awaiting instruction packet and appt!!!!

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Well....I guess all that remains to be asked is....

How the HECK are you supposed to tell them what date, time, judge, etc. you're going to get married if you don't know how long it's going to take them to approve it!!! :wacko:

Maybe since it's Michoacan, there won't be a huge backup...ideally, we will do this in one week. If not possible, I will have to shift around schedules and that's ugly....

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I will look for the letter we filed for the permiso this weekend. I think I probably have it somewhere with my work visa papers- I tend to keep all of that stuff.

I don't remember it saying the time,date, etc we would get married because we didn't know when either when we filed. We had a lawyer prepare ours too.

I think a lot is going to depend on the local immigration office and how willing they are to work with you. A lot of them have good relationships with local lawyers because they see them all the time, but I had good luck with my work visa doing it on my own too.

Jeremiah 29:11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart"

our extended timeline

05/05 - Entered US
10/3 - Mailed I-485 and I-765
10/14 - NOA1 for AOS and I-765.
10/22 - I-485 Biometrics NOA received, appt 11/15
10/27 - Touched on both I-485 and I-765.
10/31 - I-765 Biometrics NOA dated 10/24. Appt on 11/29 at 12PM.
11/15 - Biometrics for I-485 and I-765 done on same day.
11/16 & 27 - Case "touched" on bcis.gov.
12/7 - EAD approval by e-mail. Card is on its way. Thank you Lord!!
12/12 - Received EAD.
1/9/06 - Applied for SSN. Received 1/17
3/30 - Got our AOS Interview notice!! Interview date 5/31
5/31/06 - Permanent residency granted! Passport stamped IR6. God is so faithful!

2/2/16 - Mailed in N-400 paperwork

2/10/16 - Received text that N-400 paperwork was received.

2/16/16 - Text that fingerprint appointment has been scheduled.

3/1/16 - Biometrics interview, Naperville, IL

3/11/16 - E-notice that case is in line for an interview

7/8/16 - Text/site updated that Interview date has been assigned

7/14/16 - Received letter dated 7/11 with interview date on 8/11
8/11/16 - Interview, given paper that said passed test but no decision can be made at this time.

10/18/16 - Received text, status online updated to say oath ceremony has been scheduled!!!!

Notice: I am not a lawyer nor legal profession; my posts on this website are just my lay opinions, formulated from my own case.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Mexico
Timeline
Well....I guess all that remains to be asked is....

How the HECK are you supposed to tell them what date, time, judge, etc. you're going to get married if you don't know how long it's going to take them to approve it!!! :wacko:

Maybe since it's Michoacan, there won't be a huge backup...ideally, we will do this in one week. If not possible, I will have to shift around schedules and that's ugly....

THey told us one of the necessary things would be to have the date , time, place, etc. of the actual marriage. Is what you have to do is go to the registro civil, turn in all your papers, then you selest a date. After that you go to immigration and turn in your stuff there. they will give you the permiso, and you take that back to the registro civil in order for them to perform the ceremony

Now that my husband is a citizen, we are preparting documents to apply to bring his parents here.

CSC

04/24/10: I-130 package mailed

05/04/10: Notice Date

10/06/10: Approval Date

NVC

10/12/10: NVC Case# generated

10/22/10: Updated both email ids. DS-3032 e-mailed

10/26/10: IIN Received. AOS fee IN PROCESS. Emailed barcoded

10/30/10: AOS fee PAID, AOS package mailed

11/03/10: IV fee PAID, IV package mailed

12/07/10: RFE for I-864 Entered into System

12/13/10: RFE for DS-230 entered into system

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Oh, wow. I didn't even notice that. How do I do that?

8/2002: Married

11/18/02: Filed 1-130 at NSC

07/26/04: I-130 approved.

11/14/04: NVC sends file to CDJ

07/05/05: Interview in CDJ - visa denied

07/06/05: I-601 waiver submitted

11/01/05: I-601 WAIVER APPROVED!!!

01/17/06: Pick up visa in CDJ

01/18/06: Arrival in USA

01/23/06: Applied for SSN card

01/28/06: SSN card arrived

01/31/06: Welcome to USA letter arrives

02/03/06: 2nd Welcome to USA letter arrives

02/03/06: 10 year Green Card arrives

Timeline

That's what I was afraid of. Looks like we're going to be making a few looooonnnngggg trips to Morelia. I was hoping to fly into Morelia, get the immigration stuff started, then go to La Piedad and wait...now we have to drive from Morelia to La Piedad, back to Morelia, back to La Piedad, and again to pick up the Permiso. Unless we can figure out how to do the ceremony in Morelia...now there's an idea!

-Oscar the Grouch

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Here's the official Migracion website link: http://www.inami.gob.mx/paginas/tramitesre...itos/222320.htm Check it out because there's lots of information on it. I specifically copied this part because its the list of requirements - #5 talks about the letter and what it needs to say

Documentos específicos que se deben adjuntar al trámite:

1. Formato oficial de "Solicitud de Trámite Migratorio".

2. Documento migratorio vigente del extranjero.

3. En caso de que el extranjero esté en México como turista, pasaporte vigente.

4. Comprobante de pago de derechos.

5. Carta firmada por ambos contrayentes, dirigida al Instituto Nacional de Migración, en la que declaren bajo protesta de decir verdad que ni uno ni otro tienen impedimento legal alguno para contraer matrimonio, indicando:

a) Número de la oficialía o del juzgado del registro civil

B) La ciudad y la entidad federativa donde se ubica el mismo, y

c) Fecha en la que se llevará a cabo la ceremonia del matrimonio

6. En caso de contrayentes menores de edad, original del permiso de los padres, tutores o documento de emancipación, debidamente legalizados, y

7. Documento que acredite la nacionalidad del contrayente mexicano. (Pasaporte o acta denacimiento)

8. Identificación oficial vigente del contrayente mexicano. (Pasaporte o credencial de elector)

Also this girl who wrote this article about getting married in Mexico lives in Morelia Michoacan so maybe she'd be a good contact to ask specifics about Michoacan: http://www.mexconnect.com/MEX/jrose/jrmarriage.html

This is for Monterrey but it's in English at least

http://www.usembassy-mexico.gov/monterrey/meacs_marrlist.htm

Someone mentioned something about not needing witnesses: we were required to have 2 witnesses each, and we had to have them sign papers ahead of time for the registro civil and provide copies of their credencial de elector to the registro civil too. They also had to be present at the wedding and sign our marriage license. And they can't be late (a big worry of mine at the time!!) or the registro can cancel the wedding. Just make sure your witnesses drive with you in your car to the ceremony and you'll be fine :)

Jeremiah 29:11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart"

our extended timeline

05/05 - Entered US
10/3 - Mailed I-485 and I-765
10/14 - NOA1 for AOS and I-765.
10/22 - I-485 Biometrics NOA received, appt 11/15
10/27 - Touched on both I-485 and I-765.
10/31 - I-765 Biometrics NOA dated 10/24. Appt on 11/29 at 12PM.
11/15 - Biometrics for I-485 and I-765 done on same day.
11/16 & 27 - Case "touched" on bcis.gov.
12/7 - EAD approval by e-mail. Card is on its way. Thank you Lord!!
12/12 - Received EAD.
1/9/06 - Applied for SSN. Received 1/17
3/30 - Got our AOS Interview notice!! Interview date 5/31
5/31/06 - Permanent residency granted! Passport stamped IR6. God is so faithful!

2/2/16 - Mailed in N-400 paperwork

2/10/16 - Received text that N-400 paperwork was received.

2/16/16 - Text that fingerprint appointment has been scheduled.

3/1/16 - Biometrics interview, Naperville, IL

3/11/16 - E-notice that case is in line for an interview

7/8/16 - Text/site updated that Interview date has been assigned

7/14/16 - Received letter dated 7/11 with interview date on 8/11
8/11/16 - Interview, given paper that said passed test but no decision can be made at this time.

10/18/16 - Received text, status online updated to say oath ceremony has been scheduled!!!!

Notice: I am not a lawyer nor legal profession; my posts on this website are just my lay opinions, formulated from my own case.

Timeline

Oh no!!!! I typed out this long e-mail to her and it was bounced back to me undeliverable..... :(

That's alright, I've got more than enough help right here! You all are the bestest amigas EVER!!!

-Oscar the Grouch

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.