aussiewench

i-601: General Moral Support, i-601 app

1,630 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Benita,, For us, it took just over 2 months from when we submitted the AOS paperwork until we got the EAD in the mail. Another thing to note is that the EAD expires one year from date of issuance. I don't know yet what we have to to renew it. The AOS for our district office is taking a year and a half according to the processing dates, but by looking at the timelines on VJ, it looks like it's actually taking 8-10 month average from when AOS is sent in until the interview date. I don't count too much on the processing dates, but for my sanity, I don't plan on him getting his greencard before the year and a half. That way if he gets it sooner, we'll have that much more to celebrate.

Have you or your husband discussed him taking ESL classes during his wait? I don't know what level of English he already speaks, but in our area there are free ESL classes for levels 1-5 and levels 6&7 are what you have to pay for at the community college. It might be something to look into; it's a good way to keep busy and to help build life skilsl in the meanwhile.

Did you come in on the I-129, K-3 visa? When you filed, did you file for the EAD and the AOS seperately or did you just file for the AOS and that automatically generated the EAD?

I know he needs to take some ESL classes, but he fusses so much because he hated school when he was younger and does not think he needs to be in school now. I told him that he could get someone else to take some classes with him.

Yes, he came in on the I129F/K3 visa. We filed for the AOS and EAD together (as in they were sent in in the same envelope/package), but they do require you file separate applications (I-765 for EAD and I-485 for AOS) and pay the fees for both of them too.

As for the ESL classes, my husband wasn't exactly thrilled at the idea of going back to college once he was already established in his career, and school isn't his favorite place to be, nor was it ever. All I can say is that he stepped up and sucked it up because he knows that is the best thing for us as a family as it will help him get a better job in the long run. :blush: Plus my husband has seen other benefits as in he's around other people, gets to know new people, and has more confidence in himself and his abilities now that he's able to communicate better with others. I don't mean any of this to sound mean or judgemental, and I hope it's not taken that way; it's just a comment or another perspective for your husband to consider. Sorry?

Jeremiah 29:11-13 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart"

our extended timeline

05/05 - Entered US
10/3 - Mailed I-485 and I-765
10/14 - NOA1 for AOS and I-765.
10/22 - I-485 Biometrics NOA received, appt 11/15
10/27 - Touched on both I-485 and I-765.
10/31 - I-765 Biometrics NOA dated 10/24. Appt on 11/29 at 12PM.
11/15 - Biometrics for I-485 and I-765 done on same day.
11/16 & 27 - Case "touched" on bcis.gov.
12/7 - EAD approval by e-mail. Card is on its way. Thank you Lord!!
12/12 - Received EAD.
1/9/06 - Applied for SSN. Received 1/17
3/30 - Got our AOS Interview notice!! Interview date 5/31
5/31/06 - Permanent residency granted! Passport stamped IR6. God is so faithful!

2/2/16 - Mailed in N-400 paperwork

2/10/16 - Received text that N-400 paperwork was received.

2/16/16 - Text that fingerprint appointment has been scheduled.

3/1/16 - Biometrics interview, Naperville, IL

3/11/16 - E-notice that case is in line for an interview

7/8/16 - Text/site updated that Interview date has been assigned

7/14/16 - Received letter dated 7/11 with interview date on 8/11
8/11/16 - Interview, given paper that said passed test but no decision can be made at this time.

10/18/16 - Received text, status online updated to say oath ceremony has been scheduled!!!!

Notice: I am not a lawyer nor legal profession; my posts on this website are just my lay opinions, formulated from my own case.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Our county has free ESL classes. I told Javier he needed to sign up for them too. I am getting the same response from him. He doesn't have time, doesn't want to go back to school, etc. I told him he still needs to do it. Javier speaks really great english. Melissa has talked to him on the phone and actually mentioned he doesn't even sound Mexican. He does have an accent but it is not very bad at all. It's actually worse now than it was before he went back. I am sure it will get better again after he has been here a while. He works with only english speaking people and we only speak english so he has to use it. I still think it would be beneficial for him to take the classes. It would help him with his reading and writing skills as well.

Just couldn't stay my @ss away!

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Ok I got the automated response. Took it long enough to get here. I'm feeling a bit anxious now. Good old butterfly, heart racing, mind racing feeling.

As for the ESL classes, Javier says he'll take them but I have a feeling when he actually gets here, he'll give me a hard time about it. Well, tough. He's going and he'll learn to like it. I want him to at least have that basic fundamental understanding of the English language so, if he ever did decide to go back to school, or if one day we open our own business, he'll be all set. Plus it will help him remember how to learn (a skill I think is valuable to most people)!

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
As for the ESL classes, my husband wasn't exactly thrilled at the idea of going back to college once he was already established in his career, and school isn't his favorite place to be, nor was it ever. All I can say is that he stepped up and sucked it up because he knows that is the best thing for us as a family as it will help him get a better job in the long run. :blush: Plus my husband has seen other benefits as in he's around other people, gets to know new people, and has more confidence in himself and his abilities now that he's able to communicate better with others. I don't mean any of this to sound mean or judgemental, and I hope it's not taken that way; it's just a comment or another perspective for your husband to consider. Sorry?

I did not take it personally, I would love for him to get his butt into some type of class. He is so stuck in his ways, you would think he was 100 years old. I know that he has to have basic english skills (reading and writing) to become a citizen anyway, so why not get started now. Because he does understand more than he speaks it sometimes causes problems, he will swear that I said something I did not, so we get into an argument. I also think he would feel so much better in public, he always wants to know what people are saying or if they are talking about him.

~~~~~~~~~~Time Line~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

02-03-2006 Received K-3 Visa.

02-21-2006 Filed I-485 and I-765 with lawyer.

03-04-2006 Received NOA on both AOS and EAD.

03-21-2006 Biometrics for AOS & EAD.(Our 3rd Wedding Anniversary)

03-22-2006 AOS & EAD Touched.

03-23-2006 AOS & EAD Touched.

03-31-2006 Emily's Birthday ~ 2 Years Old

03-31-2006 AOS & EAD Touched. (Could be from the AR-11 and I-865 Change of address forms).

04-03-2006 AOS & EAD Touched.

05-09-2006 USCIS Site states that EAD was approved.

05-11-2006 Received EAD Card in the mail.

06-05-2006 Received AOS Interview letter.

07-26-2006 AOS Interview - APPROVED.

07-31-2006 Received WELCOME letter in the mail.

07-31-2006 Received E-mail -- Card is on the way.

08-05-2006 Received Green Card -- Good for 10 years.

11-08-2006 New addition to the family - Anali Grace was born

Where in the heck is everyone today? I feel like we stink or something and we have run everyone off. I promise I showered. I smell good. Come out and play.

:lol::lol: Are you sure? I think I caught a wiff all the way here in Texas! I have just been doing some research on the school that my son will have to attend once we are in El Paso. It is a year round school. How awesome is that!

Married EWI May 2003

Filed I-130 August 13, 2003

I-30 Approved May 2005

Rec packet from NVC July 2005

Sent back packet Sept. 3, 2005

Case completed by NVC Sept 15, 2005

Case transferred to CDJ Sept 20, 2005

Still waiting for appointment!

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Elvia, I doubt he'll think that's quite so awesome!

I'm starting to get pissed off. Javier still hasn't called and he didn't answer just a few minutes ago when I called. I'm not worried-I know he's real busy but he should have called me by now.

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

Elvia: I am pretty sure I showered. Yes, I did, I remember shaving my legs. It's not me smelling. It must be someone else. :lol::lol:

I don't think your son will like the year round school idea either. We used to have one here like that but they missed too much for snow so they changed it back to a regular school year.

Elvia, I doubt he'll think that's quite so awesome!

True... I just think I got carried away thinking of how much money I will save in daycare expenses. (well not really save) It is so hard to pay $95 a week for 3 months.... this way I will have to do it one month at a time... :lol:

Married EWI May 2003

Filed I-130 August 13, 2003

I-30 Approved May 2005

Rec packet from NVC July 2005

Sent back packet Sept. 3, 2005

Case completed by NVC Sept 15, 2005

Case transferred to CDJ Sept 20, 2005

Still waiting for appointment!

Well girls, it's been a blast today! :no: Maybe tomorrow will be better. I hope you all have a great night! :yes: See you all tomorrow. :dance::thumbs:

Oh and who ever forgot to shower and ran everyone off today. Please remedy that situation so we can have some fun tomorrow. :lol::lol:

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Oopsss I was hoping you guys couldn't smell me.... :lol:

Sorry I have not been able to post but we had to pack up 50 boxes worth of files so they could go to offsite storage and it has taken the last two days to do this.But its done and I really do smell right now from running around here all day..But I promise I will shower again this afternoon when I get home.. :D

Dont worry Melissa...Javier will call you.... (F)

Well everyone see you tomorrow maybe I can post more then..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

AHHHHHHHHH. Crazy day at work with crazy clients! Thank god going home in 10 minutes. Hope you all have a good night.

8/2002: Married

11/18/02: Filed 1-130 at NSC

07/26/04: I-130 approved.

11/14/04: NVC sends file to CDJ

07/05/05: Interview in CDJ - visa denied

07/06/05: I-601 waiver submitted

11/01/05: I-601 WAIVER APPROVED!!!

01/17/06: Pick up visa in CDJ

01/18/06: Arrival in USA

01/23/06: Applied for SSN card

01/28/06: SSN card arrived

01/31/06: Welcome to USA letter arrives

02/03/06: 2nd Welcome to USA letter arrives

02/03/06: 10 year Green Card arrives

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Sorry I could not play yesterday... took Emily for her follow-up with the surgeon on her ears. They are fine, the tubes are still in and she said if there is drainage that Emily probably has an ear infection and to call her office and she will prescribe antibiotics over the phone. How cool is that?

I did go through all the stuff that we need to file for the AOS and EAD, each says it requires 2 passport photos. We have the ones that were done in CDJ I wonder if they would work for the US, does anyone know? They just seem to be a little lighter in color than the ones we have done here.

There is a butt load of information to file, but I believe we have everything. The thing that sucks is that since we did not get the 5 year passport in CDJ that everything expires on July 12th and I am not sure what to do. Even his state ID that we got yesterday (we still had to pay the full $12) expires in July. I have written to the Indianapolis Mexican Consulate to find out what we need to get his passport renewed here. He is still threatening to make his parents get married to provide another document, (they only did the church wedding).

~~~~~~~~~~Time Line~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

02-03-2006 Received K-3 Visa.

02-21-2006 Filed I-485 and I-765 with lawyer.

03-04-2006 Received NOA on both AOS and EAD.

03-21-2006 Biometrics for AOS & EAD.(Our 3rd Wedding Anniversary)

03-22-2006 AOS & EAD Touched.

03-23-2006 AOS & EAD Touched.

03-31-2006 Emily's Birthday ~ 2 Years Old

03-31-2006 AOS & EAD Touched. (Could be from the AR-11 and I-865 Change of address forms).

04-03-2006 AOS & EAD Touched.

05-09-2006 USCIS Site states that EAD was approved.

05-11-2006 Received EAD Card in the mail.

06-05-2006 Received AOS Interview letter.

07-26-2006 AOS Interview - APPROVED.

07-31-2006 Received WELCOME letter in the mail.

07-31-2006 Received E-mail -- Card is on the way.

08-05-2006 Received Green Card -- Good for 10 years.

11-08-2006 New addition to the family - Anali Grace was born

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.