4,195 posts in this topic

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Good Morning!

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Morning, had quite an adventure yesterday, I made a thread with the details if anyone is interested.

Good Morning everyone,

I was just reading that thread, I am glad that you all made it back safely and some good positives happened from that situation.

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline
Mmm Hmmm! It does give you a new appreciation for hair. Girl, talk about mini fro after washing! My hair has always been thick, but now that it is all natural it is way thick! I didn't do a big chop. I was too afraid of wearing short hair. I was doing mini chops on my hair. When it grew out inch by inch I'd cut the old perm ends off until they were all gone. I love messing with the NG too. lol! Although, I did wear braids for a good long while while transitioning. I didn't like braids too much either because after I took them down I'd get a lot of shedding. I know that shedding was normal after braids, but I just couldn't get used to it. I used to do my own braiding. I have never had [i]healthy and natural hair before. I also never thought I'd say those two words in one sentence either, natural and healthy...and it's getting long! I've had perms and jheri curls pretty much all my life. I had the Jheri curls up til high school and then I got a perm during 12th grade up til December 2007.

I think I will check out that Motowngirl site and see what it's all about. Yep, that shrinkage will fool anybody. Once you stretch it, it is like abracadabra! I've learned that S-curl spray is the bomb for my hair as well as Aubrey Organics shampoo and conditioner! Product junkie is and understatement for me. I have a whole closet full of junk and a big box full at the bottom of my closet. I think I will sell on Ebay.lol!

LOL @ you doing mini chops. I was afraid to wear mine really short, too. I let it grow in braids/twists until I had about 2 inches of new growth and then I did the BC. I put it back in braids that very same day, lol. I STILL play with my NG. I love feeling the waviness of it. B) Yes, all of the hair shedding that comes with braids can be intimidating and you feel as if you will be bald if you continue to wear them. I read that people generally shed over 100 strands of hair per day, so if you have braids up for a few months then all of that shedded hair can be a shocker.

Please do check out Motowngirl because there was so much information on natural hair care that I didn't know where to start and I found it to be a good place to start. I've heard that Aubrey Organics can work wonders. I have yet to try it. I know what you mean about all of the junk. I have three plastic bins in my bathroom full of stuff and that doesn't even include the rest under the sink. One bin is for my essential oils, one is for my hair sprays, bottles and moisturizers, and the other is for my CONDITIONERS!

Interesting ladies!!!!! I too have been toying with that same idea and have felt the same way you both have. I have permed my hair since age 13 and I was one of the ones who would go to see my hair dresser every week. It's been about almost a year since I have seened her. I have been doing my own perms and my hair is not doing all that great I thought about doing the natural thing so many times and would go about two months without a perm. Then it would get to where I could not deal with it and I would just perm my hair again. I am in fear I guess because I know nothing about caring for unpermed hair and how to get it managable or how to style it. Hopefully I will get up enough nerve to go ahead and do it. I plan to check out those sites also. Thanks for the tips!!!!!

Your story is similar to many natural stories. That was basically how mine was...once you start doing your own perms, then all hell can break loose on your hair. Like I said, go check out both of the sites and see how you feel about it. The main key to natural hair is keeping it MOISTURIZED and CONDITIONED. Your hair will be so manageable and soft once you find a good routine to keep it full of moisture. I intend to keep it natural, but getting a press every once in a while. There are many many styles that are available for natural women, but you just have to break past the myth that "natural is hard to maintain". Let me know what you decide to do. :)

When I was in high school I permed my hair. Never again. I have been all natural since then and my hair is just past my shoulders. If I use a flat iron it adds a few more inches. My hair is the kind that is really curly but falls nice. No idea what I ever permed it :)

Do you like being natural? Wow, there seems to be so many of us on here. I know Radical Lover is, too, and I think Asante Maroon, also. Your hair sounds really nice and low maintenance. :D

I am just reaching shoulder length, but when it is shampooed and dried it is like a small afro. I hate when it shrinks like that. When a small touch of water hit my hair, it will revert. Summer time is coming and I dread how it will look then. I may just opt for braids or wear an afro puff.

By the way LL, your friend hair looks very thick and healthy too. It look like it would be long after she press it.

LOL, I know what you mean about it reverting instantly. You can try to keep it looking longer with braid outs and twist outs. Those styles help to show a little length. Yes, that picture shows pressed vs non-pressed. Her hair was closer to her bra line.

Hey Lovin

Tell me about it. I was natural for about 7 years before I got sisterlocks. My fro used to be so short (TWA) teenie weenie fro, and when I pressed it out it wuld come down my shoulders. I would also be amazed. I love my locks but I miss the versality of my natural styes.

Happy 2 B Nappy

YOU TOO!!!! I didn't know you were one of "us", LOL! Oooh, speeaking of sister locs, the same friend that I posted before (her name is Free), she just got her SL in December. Hers are beautiful. I think I actually like SL better than the regular ones, even though I say I will never get locs. Free is trying to convince me to get some, but I keep telling her "mayyybe", lol. I love how they look, but I always love the ability to change my styles and like you said, the lack of versatility would get to me after a while. Here are some pictures of her new Sisterlocs:

322237887.jpg

322237888.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Mmm Hmmm! It does give you a new appreciation for hair. Girl, talk about mini fro after washing! My hair has always been thick, but now that it is all natural it is way thick! I didn't do a big chop. I was too afraid of wearing short hair. I was doing mini chops on my hair. When it grew out inch by inch I'd cut the old perm ends off until they were all gone. I love messing with the NG too. lol! Although, I did wear braids for a good long while while transitioning. I didn't like braids too much either because after I took them down I'd get a lot of shedding. I know that shedding was normal after braids, but I just couldn't get used to it. I used to do my own braiding. I have never had [i]healthy and natural hair before. I also never thought I'd say those two words in one sentence either, natural and healthy...and it's getting long! I've had perms and jheri curls pretty much all my life. I had the Jheri curls up til high school and then I got a perm during 12th grade up til December 2007.

I think I will check out that Motowngirl site and see what it's all about. Yep, that shrinkage will fool anybody. Once you stretch it, it is like abracadabra! I've learned that S-curl spray is the bomb for my hair as well as Aubrey Organics shampoo and conditioner! Product junkie is and understatement for me. I have a whole closet full of junk and a big box full at the bottom of my closet. I think I will sell on Ebay.lol!

LOL @ you doing mini chops. I was afraid to wear mine really short, too. I let it grow in braids/twists until I had about 2 inches of new growth and then I did the BC. I put it back in braids that very same day, lol. I STILL play with my NG. I love feeling the waviness of it. B) Yes, all of the hair shedding that comes with braids can be intimidating and you feel as if you will be bald if you continue to wear them. I read that people generally shed over 100 strands of hair per day, so if you have braids up for a few months then all of that shedded hair can be a shocker.

Please do check out Motowngirl because there was so much information on natural hair care that I didn't know where to start and I found it to be a good place to start. I've heard that Aubrey Organics can work wonders. I have yet to try it. I know what you mean about all of the junk. I have three plastic bins in my bathroom full of stuff and that doesn't even include the rest under the sink. One bin is for my essential oils, one is for my hair sprays, bottles and moisturizers, and the other is for my CONDITIONERS!

Interesting ladies!!!!! I too have been toying with that same idea and have felt the same way you both have. I have permed my hair since age 13 and I was one of the ones who would go to see my hair dresser every week. It's been about almost a year since I have seened her. I have been doing my own perms and my hair is not doing all that great I thought about doing the natural thing so many times and would go about two months without a perm. Then it would get to where I could not deal with it and I would just perm my hair again. I am in fear I guess because I know nothing about caring for unpermed hair and how to get it managable or how to style it. Hopefully I will get up enough nerve to go ahead and do it. I plan to check out those sites also. Thanks for the tips!!!!!

Your story is similar to many natural stories. That was basically how mine was...once you start doing your own perms, then all hell can break loose on your hair. Like I said, go check out both of the sites and see how you feel about it. The main key to natural hair is keeping it MOISTURIZED and CONDITIONED. Your hair will be so manageable and soft once you find a good routine to keep it full of moisture. I intend to keep it natural, but getting a press every once in a while. There are many many styles that are available for natural women, but you just have to break past the myth that "natural is hard to maintain". Let me know what you decide to do. :)

When I was in high school I permed my hair. Never again. I have been all natural since then and my hair is just past my shoulders. If I use a flat iron it adds a few more inches. My hair is the kind that is really curly but falls nice. No idea what I ever permed it :)

Do you like being natural? Wow, there seems to be so many of us on here. I know Radical Lover is, too, and I think Asante Maroon, also. Your hair sounds really nice and low maintenance. :D

I am just reaching shoulder length, but when it is shampooed and dried it is like a small afro. I hate when it shrinks like that. When a small touch of water hit my hair, it will revert. Summer time is coming and I dread how it will look then. I may just opt for braids or wear an afro puff.

By the way LL, your friend hair looks very thick and healthy too. It look like it would be long after she press it.

LOL, I know what you mean about it reverting instantly. You can try to keep it looking longer with braid outs and twist outs. Those styles help to show a little length. Yes, that picture shows pressed vs non-pressed. Her hair was closer to her bra line.

Hey Lovin

Tell me about it. I was natural for about 7 years before I got sisterlocks. My fro used to be so short (TWA) teenie weenie fro, and when I pressed it out it wuld come down my shoulders. I would also be amazed. I love my locks but I miss the versality of my natural styes.

Happy 2 B Nappy

YOU TOO!!!! I didn't know you were one of "us", LOL! Oooh, speeaking of sister locs, the same friend that I posted before (her name is Free), she just got her SL in December. Hers are beautiful. I think I actually like SL better than the regular ones, even though I say I will never get locs. Free is trying to convince me to get some, but I keep telling her "mayyybe", lol. I love how they look, but I always love the ability to change my styles and like you said, the lack of versatility would get to me after a while. Here are some pictures of her new Sisterlocs:

322237887.jpg

322237888.jpg

I'm trying to insert the picture of my SL and having a difficult time :blink: .

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Hey Lovin

Happy 2 B Nappy

322237887.jpg

322237888.jpg

Wow! Those are some nice locs. I like. Yeah, I am quite versatile with my hair. Once I'd have those, I'd want to take them down again a few days later. I have a girlfriend that did a big chop . Her permed hair was past her shoulders. The perm broke her hair off in the back so she'd wear her hair in a bun to cover it. When that finally didn't work, she wore wigs. Then she decided to chop it off. She let it grow back and had sister locs done. Til this day, she still has them. Her hair is so long now. It's ridiculous!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

FYI: Zainab made it to Ghana safe and sound. She and Bassi met up with Inusah briefly :)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That is great to hear. God is good.

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.