anastasia_beaverhausen

fake marriage question

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello. A friend of my husband's asked him to be witness at his marriage, my husband went, and couple of days later we found out it was a fake marriage just for greencard thing. Now, the guy has called my husband to ask him for a recommendation letter to send to immigration, he says its mandatory since my husband was witness, and this guy also told him that he has to give him a copy of his citizenship certificate too. I told my husband not to get involved in any of this anymore, what if t hey catch this guy and my husband's name is on that letter? that guy has had problems with immigration before and I'm sure it's all in his records. My husband has been friends with him for a long time and doesnt want any problems with him, how can we handle this situation?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Hello. A friend of my husband's asked him to be witness at his marriage, my husband went, and couple of days later we found out it was a fake marriage just for greencard thing. Now, the guy has called my husband to ask him for a recommendation letter to send to immigration, he says its mandatory since my husband was witness, and this guy also told him that he has to give him a copy of his citizenship certificate too. I told my husband not to get involved in any of this anymore, what if t hey catch this guy and my husband's name is on that letter? that guy has had problems with immigration before and I'm sure it's all in his records. My husband has been friends with him for a long time and doesnt want any problems with him, how can we handle this situation?

NO WAY is it mandatory, I would just say "I will have to respectfully decline".

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

NO WAY is it mandatory, I would just say "I will have to respectfully decline".

I agree.

Don't do it.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

is a recomendation letter something new? i cant even tell u who witnessed our marriege cuz we just grabbed a couple people in the court house. no letter was needed at that time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It's certainly not mandatory for your husband to be one of the people to provide an affidavit of a bona fide marriage just because he was a witness.

is a recommendation letter something new? i cant even tell u who witnessed our marriage cuz we just grabbed a couple people in the court house. no letter was needed at that time.

The affidavits of a bona fide marriage is something new being required with I-130's, yes. I think it started with the new forms issued in July.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I would also decline and most certainly do not give this scammer anything like his own citizenship certs.

However, tell your friend to be honest and say that it is not worthwhile to become involved in immigration fraud. If he loses a friend so be it... but stay away from that mess with a barge pole.

I 130 & I129F (K3) and AOS info in timeline

It's certainly not mandatory for your husband to be one of the people to provide an affidavit of a bona fide marriage just because he was a witness.

is a recommendation letter something new? i cant even tell u who witnessed our marriage cuz we just grabbed a couple people in the court house. no letter was needed at that time.

The affidavits of a bona fide marriage is something new being required with I-130's, yes. I think it started with the new forms issued in July.

Hmm. I think the affidavits requested with an I-130 are only necessary if a document of an event, such as a marriage, is not available. In the case that is being discussed here, why would there be no marriage certificate?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

No, they are required in addition to the marriage certificate. In July, London started chucking out RFE's left, right, and centre for the missing information and there are a few on this board (Poiteen springs to mind) that have had their approvals delayed because of this.

NOTE: In addition to the required documentation listed

above, you should submit one or more of the following

types of documentation that may evidence that bona fides

of your marriage:

E. Documentation showing joint ownership or property;

or

F. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence;

or

G. Documentation showing co-mingling of financial

resources; or

H. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the

petitioner, and your spouse together; or

I. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having

personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital

relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full name

and address, date and place of birth of the person

making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the

petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete

information and details explaining how the person

acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage); or

J. Any other relevant documentation to establish that

there is an ongoing marital union.

this is in addition to the marriage certificate, which is the first thing that is required, and has been in place only since July.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Your husband's friend is asking him to do knowingly state something that's wrong (and potentially illegal). If his friend has already had immigration trouble before, I would expect that his documents will be closely scrutinized. Would your husband do other illegal things for this person? Perhaps making it clear to him that it's something that will likely make his life difficult in the future can help him to make the right choice.

One thing is for sure: It's by no means mandatory for your husband to make false statements, regardless of what his friend wants. I know how hard it is for me to get my green card. There isn't anything that would make me risk it afterwards.

Good luck!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
No, they are required in addition to the marriage certificate. In July, London started chucking out RFE's left, right, and centre for the missing information and there are a few on this board (Poiteen springs to mind) that have had their approvals delayed because of this.

of your marriage:

or

or

resources; or

this is in addition to the marriage certificate, which is the first thing that is required, and has been in place only since July.

well to be fair.. you don't need to send in affidavits if you send in some of the other examples...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

of your marriage:

or

or

resources; or

Exactly. Note, the bolded text, "one or more", not all of the list.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

This doesnt sound like a very good friend. maybe a long friend, but certainly not a considerate or respectful friend. basically asking your husband to lie. That kind of friend is so not worth the jail time and/or fines. Hell no.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

It sounds like the friend is just asking for a letter saying that your husband was present at the wedding. He can just state the facts as they happened. He was asked to be a witness and he attended the wedding. There is nothing illegal about his stating the facts as they happened.

2NS

I-130 NOA1: 9/17/04

He picks up packet in Havana: late March/05

Interview at US Interests in Hav: 4/26/05

Informed of need for second security check

Dept of State completes security check: 5/17/05

He picks up Visa: 5/26/05

Arrived 7/22/05

Applied for removal of GC conditions 4/07

Interview for application to remove GC conditions 11/07

Received 10 year GC 12/07

It sounds like the friend is just asking for a letter saying that your husband was present at the wedding. He can just state the facts as they happened. He was asked to be a witness and he attended the wedding. There is nothing illegal about his stating the facts as they happened.

2NS

Not necessarily illegal (though it could be), but I would say it's certainly immoral for the husband to do so knowing that the friend is planning to submit that letter as evidence in order to commit immigration fraud.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.