Flames9_RN

Any of Our Canadian VJ members Inuit

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I recall my micro course!! We were culturing samples and doing all these tests and at the end you had to ID what you had!! Everything was going well. I used the book, used the flow chart thingy and did the appropriate tests. Well except for one!! As I recall I required ONE more test to separate what I had, was one of two things! BUT I made the mistake of throwing out my test tubes!!! DUH!! Everyone kept saying just lie, it has to be this, as no one else has this other culture, but a few of this one!! NOPE!! I was honest, in my report I stated I made the mistake of throwing out the required material early. By my reports it had to be either "A" or "B" but to confirm it I need to do one my test, which i could not because I accidentally threw out the test tubes! RESULT: Full Marks, and it turned out I was the only one with that culture in the class!! Normally she would have docked marks because I screwed up, but since I was honest and explained why i screwed up, ful points!! Honesty always pays,lol My story of the day!!

I would dock a lot more than 10% if a student used Wikipedia, especially when being told numerous time and was in the syllabus that the prof handed out!!

Luv those flowchart thingys. Good for you. Honesty is always good in science, so many times great scientific discoveries come from serendipity. :thumbs:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Micro was pretty interesting, but soooo much to know!!! I think the best was that we had to bring in a stool sampl! lol Wel ljust part of the water from that "outing" lol!! Only a few of us did it, the prof was sooo ticked off that the majority of the class didnt do it,lol And what was funny, many of the students didnt want to do it, because they thought it was gross, but were going into some sort of medical field!! man that class was fun, well more so the lab time was fun!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Micro was pretty interesting, but soooo much to know!!! I think the best was that we had to bring in a stool sampl! lol Wel ljust part of the water from that "outing" lol!! Only a few of us did it, the prof was sooo ticked off that the majority of the class didnt do it,lol And what was funny, many of the students didnt want to do it, because they thought it was gross, but were going into some sort of medical field!! man that class was fun, well more so the lab time was fun!

I don't know how much anatomy you've studied, but that course is a real pain. When they throw that "what happens when this is damaged" #######, you'd better know your innervations. "C-3-4-5 keeps the diaphragm alive." That's the cleanest one I can think of. :lol: Worst part of anatomy? Dissection of the pudenda. I don't care how macho you are, you will cross your legs when that scalpel slices through Mr. P. Talk about instant shrinkage. :lol: Some of the less enlightened males in the class got plenty of payback from the grrrls over this, all they had to do was make the slicing motion. :lol:

BTW, How are your fellow students going to handle all the smells, ooze and fun that is nursing? "Ewww,...that's gross." :lol: Micro has a fair amount of memorization to be sure. Histology is like Micro but more practical, lots of microscope time. Parasitology is more interesting, lots of kewl pics of prolapsed rectums and the like. Somehow I don't think that the patients thought it was kewl. Before they got rid of the outdoor practical field trips (cost-cutting measure, before my time), students used to go to parks to pick up dog poop to see what parasites they'd find. Surprising and disturbing what one finds at the park!

IR5

Timeline

First semesters hospital rotations were full of "#######" lol I lucked out and didnt do any real "wiping" Luckily a tech was always close by! lol I was always nice to the techs!! I did help, and man, the smell!! I thought for sure I was going to be calling Barf! Both my younger sisters back in Canada are RN's! I wasnt about to give them the pleasure of me puking,lol!! This semester is Obstetrics and then working in a small no insurance clinic, which, from my understanding few speak English!! Maybe I will bring my wife with me to translate,lol

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
First semesters hospital rotations were full of "#######" lol I lucked out and didnt do any real "wiping" Luckily a tech was always close by! lol I was always nice to the techs!! I did help, and man, the smell!! I thought for sure I was going to be calling Barf! Both my younger sisters back in Canada are RN's! I wasnt about to give them the pleasure of me puking,lol!! This semester is Obstetrics and then working in a small no insurance clinic, which, from my understanding few speak English!! Maybe I will bring my wife with me to translate,lol

Only thing that smells worse than poop is decomposing flesh. Glad you didn't puke, what would your sisters think of you? :lol:

It's always good to be nice to those around you in the healthcare setting. My brother is the "I lead by example" type. Not too many doctors are willing to put in foleys, but he does it and the nurses really appreciate it. Hopefully you run into a few like my bro and not the typical "candy-azz, sh*t on the nurse and everyone else" type.

Do they even speak English in Virginia, I always thought that they only spoke American. :lol:

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

Timeline

Scott, have you considered the whole brown fat-white fat (I know, human fat is yellow, no idea why it is called white fat) business with the Inuit and how it changes the etiology of disease since it is metabolically active?

IR5

Timeline

Nope, and I don't plan to,lol Its a very basic research thing we are doing. we have 15 questions to answer, and 6 of us in a group!! It will be short and to the point,lol This is a pretty minor class, so don't plan on spending much time on it. And none of my 3 questions deal with that,lol Yep, I'm a slacker!!

Timeline
Nope, and I don't plan to,lol Its a very basic research thing we are doing. we have 15 questions to answer, and 6 of us in a group!! It will be short and to the point,lol This is a pretty minor class, so don't plan on spending much time on it. And none of my 3 questions deal with that,lol Yep, I'm a slacker!!

Now that's the spirit soldier! :lol: I'll get you started, the answers, in particular order, are: yes, no, maybe, possibly, only on Sunday, we're just good friends, none of your damn business and New Jersey.... :lol:

IR5

Timeline
This thread really needs a rating of some kind, or a grossness warning :lol:

You mean life isn't about slicing penises and prolapsed rectums? :lol: Parasitology's not so bad; if you follow politics, you know all about parasites. :lol:

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

Timeline

this seems appropriate for the turn that this thread has taken. Anyone else watching the American Experience about lobotomy on PBS tonight? I have nearly a stomach of steel. blood, guts, dissecting a #######, etc I can handle. However an ice pick through the ocular orbit is a bit much. Anyway, an interesting take on a procedure that was considered a near miracle cure for a while.

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Timeline
this seems appropriate for the turn that this thread has taken. Anyone else watching the American Experience about lobotomy on PBS tonight? I have nearly a stomach of steel. blood, guts, dissecting a #######, etc I can handle. However an ice pick through the ocular orbit is a bit much. Anyway, an interesting take on a procedure that was considered a near miracle cure for a while.

I have seen some of the horrors of playing around with the corpus callosum. Trephining, lobotomies, electroshock; it's amazing what we do to fix aberrant bevaviour. Thanks for the heads up about the American Experience, I'll try to catch it. Dissecting a #######? Oh do tell....

IR5

Timeline

Maybe we should start a gross out forum, who's with me? :lol:

IR5

Timeline

Ok, I wont talk about the partially detached ####### I saw last semester!! Poor guy!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.