Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

bloody yanks, always gotta be different :P

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I'm having a tough time feeling bad about your weather, guys. It seems like not that long ago you were all missing the rain and complaining that you wanted to be able to wear sweaters. Its bloody cold and awful here and will be until the end of April.

Filed: Timeline

Learn something new every day!

While the solstice is typically observed for a 24-hour period, the actual event lasts only one second. At the moment of winter’s solstice, the Sun is at its greatest distance from the equatorial plane and shines directly over the Tropic of Capricorn(for the northern hemisphere). The word "solstice" comes from the Latin “sol” – meaning sun – and “sistere” – meaning to stand still. Upon the winter solstice, the sun appears at its lowest in the sky, and its noontime elevation seems to stay the same for several days before and after this day. The Sun’s gradual decrease in the sky reverses upon the winter solstice, marking what many cultures believe to be a “rebirth” of the Sun as the hours of daylight become longer.

Depending on what region of the world you are in, the winter solstice is thought to signal either the beginning or the middle of winter. Celtic cultures mark the start of winter on November 1 (All Hallows or Samhaim) and its end on Candlemas (February 1st or 2nd). Other European cultures observe midwinter celebrations the night of December 24. Pacific Islanders have marked midwinter by the occurrence of the full moon. East Asian countries define their seasons by solar terms. North American and Jewish cultures recognize the winter solstice as marking the beginning of winter.

The winter solstice has been celebrated since ancient times. Throughout the centuries, the winter solstice has been celebrated with family gatherings, festivals, singing, dancing, and the burning of fires throughout this longest night of the year. This year, the winter solstice occurs precisely at 7:04 am on December 21. Look into the sky the night of the solstice, and you will see the three stars of Orion’s Belt aligned with the Sirius, the brightest star in the eastern sky, which points to where the Sun will rise in the morning.

link

Timeline
When in Rome and all that.... :P

if I was in Rome you wouldn't hear a peep out of me :P

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

wish I hadn't complaind at the 4F yesterday...-10F this morning when I was out walking the pooches as work.!!!!

MY TIMELINES

K1

06/21/2007 - petition mailed....finally

07/09/2007 - NOA1 (hard copy 07/11/2007)

11/13/2007 - NOA2...127days after filing (hard copy 11/17/07)

12/22/2007 - packet 3 rec. (12/28/2007 returned)

01/11/2008 - medical (allergic to tetanus shot, requirement waived)

02/05/2008 - interview @ 10am - APPROVED!!!!!!

03/12/2008 - Flying Glasgow - Dublin - Chicago - Omaha

05/31/2008 - WEDDING

AOS

07/31/2008 - AOS and EAD finally mailed

08/02/2008 - Delivered

08/08/2008 - Check cleared

08/11/2008 - NOA1's for AOS and EAD recieved (reciept date 08/07/2008)

08/16/2008 - Biometrics letter recieved

09/09/2008 - Biometrics at 1pm, Omaha

09/26/2008 - AOS transferred to CSC

09/29/2008 - AOS touched (took out envelope at CSC and put in new pile)

10/03/2008 - AOS touched (probably that RFE coming soon!!!!)

10/06/2008 - AOS touched AGAIN!!! (surely it's an RFE)

10/15/2008 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!YEY!!!

10/27/2008 - EAD IN HAND

01/12/2009 - AOS touched

01/26/2009 - Email from CRIS. GREENCARD PRODUCTION ORDERED..YIPPPPEEE

ROC

10/25/2010 - ROC mailed

11/15/2010 - NOA1 and check cashed

It's been a beautiful day in Charlotte today. When I walked out of work it was 67F. :D

Shut up, you. We don't need you "good weather" types round these parts. :P

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline
I just knew you wouldn't be able to resist commenting on that cliche! :lol:

I wasn't commenting on the cliché, just saying that I'd INFINITELY prefer Rome to Houston :P

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes yes yes, Winter solstice marks the middle of winter, not the beginning. It's when the suns the most far away, and therefore it's most wintery (in the northern hemisphere at least). And when all the light lines up and makes that great shaft down the corridor in Newgrange! I miss home, can you tell?

it's funny about the cold and the rain, i wouldn't go so far as to say that I like it, but there is something satisfyingly familiar about it, and particularly about wearing jackets and scarves and wrapping up. I feel much more comfortable in my chunky warm clothes than I do in my light sunny clothes.

Did you guys get snow in Houston, StP?

The UK Wiki

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.