Thanks guys, I feel....so special :cry:

Edited by Laura+Tom

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Ginger - I can totally relate... it was worse studying it in uni because you have to meet criteria, deadlines, time frames... fit in with tutors' ideals as to what is "art" and the pressure really sends your muse running :lol: I love painting but frustrate myself trying to make the things look like photographs then get disappointed when they don't... My best painting (in my head) was a small one of the Musee D'Orsay (sp?) in Paris on the banks of the Rhine by night - thing is, it was for my A-level and it was a lettering piece so I had to stick some crappy text on top of it which I took about three seconds over - the painting took a couple of months I think :lol: But the text ruins it :(

I moved onto installation art in my degree because it allowed more room for interpretation... thing is all our tutors were ceramicists or painters so I don't think they really "got" me :rolleyes:

On another note, I am having a blub to Band Aid's "Do they know it's Christmas" particularly at the lyrics "but there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime" and thinking "THERE WON'T BE BLOODY SNOW IN PALM SPRINGS EITHER!!!" :cry: Then feeling a bit sad and pathetic... I've been looking up old carols I sang in primary school and getting all nostalgic... I think I need to invest in a Christmas Carol CD or something :lol:

I did ceramic and I have some very nice pots and mugs to show for it lol. I just have an idea right now that involves a very large canvas, a paintball gun and some paintballs. I would consider my idea more in the realm of conceptual art than anything else. Maybe Jackson Pollock with fire power.

Are you talking of the Van Gogh Starry Night over the Rhône? I saw that at the D'Orsay a few years ago...I believe the famous one in the starry night series is at the MOMA.

800px-Starry_Night_Over_the_Rhone.jpg

Speaking of which, Nicky and I are heading down to the Art Institute today. You may remember it from Ferris Beuller's Day Off, as they have the famous Seurat painting there:

Georges_Seurat_-_Un_dimanche_après-midi_à_l

The nice thing is the Chicago Public Libraries let you check out museum passes so you can get into most of the major Chicago museums for free. Now that the weather is crappy I think we're going to be spending more time inside the museums.

I agree Pointy that it is way better to be a starving unemployed artist than to be a starving unemployed executive assistant. It sounds more glamorous :-p

On another note, I am having a blub to Band Aid's "Do they know it's Christmas" particularly at the lyrics "but there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime" and thinking "THERE WON'T BE BLOODY SNOW IN PALM SPRINGS EITHER!!!" :cry: Then feeling a bit sad and pathetic... I've been looking up old carols I sang in primary school and getting all nostalgic... I think I need to invest in a Christmas Carol CD or something :lol:

Yeah, but when is there ever snow in England at Christmas? England generally does not get good snow, which aside from at Christmas is very overrated.

I'm telling you Jer - get yerself to Idylwild (sp?). The snow there is lovely. And the best part is you can drive away from it back to warm weather in no time.

Where are you ladies on the facebook? I tried searching for maven, but she is unfindable. I don't think I know the rest of yis names to go looking for you.

And greetings from Tokyo! I am staying at the Park Hyatt, which is probably the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed at with absolutely impeccable service. But now that the yen is really strong - whoa is Tokyo expensive. Good thing I'm not paying for it.

Ooo Tokyo!!! Are you going to do any shopping in Ginza?

Edited by ginger1981
wtf-picard.jpg

Oh I remember studying that Seurat pic for my Art GCSE!! And it wasn't a copy of a painting I did - it was a painting of the actual museum by night :)

As an aside - does anyone know how to prevent confused kittens from trying to eat Christmas trees? This one keeps trying to climb in it then just sits next to it and miaows at it - it's driving me nuts!!!

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Ok I think I figured it out - I went over to him and leant over on the floor and he curled up under me (I have a blanket around me) so I figured he was cold. I just put a different blanket on the floor and he curled up on it... although I think I have spoken too soon as he is off of the blanket and back on the presents... but he isn't eating the tree... yet... :rolleyes:

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hey!! Robin - you have the same settings!! I can't add you even though I can see your name!

OK - I need present ideas, for my dad. I totally did not stick to the plan and have all the presents ready for sending yesterday. I'm still down my dad, and i want something extra for my mum and sister. My dad does a lot of driving, maybe something to do with that...

The UK Wiki

Hey!! Robin - you have the same settings!! I can't add you even though I can see your name!

OK - I need present ideas, for my dad. I totally did not stick to the plan and have all the presents ready for sending yesterday. I'm still down my dad, and i want something extra for my mum and sister. My dad does a lot of driving, maybe something to do with that...

I'll send you an introduction -- hope it helps!

No ideas for Xmas -- haven't done ANYTHING about it yet meself.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

:lol: It's ok Maven - I saved your sorry @$$ with my superior FB skillz :D

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

How come I can create the wondrous, life-affirming Clay Aiken Pin Extravaganza! app but I can't introduce friends? I am a sorry FBer indeed. Speaking of which, I caved in to my mom's request to friend her on FB. Now the self-editing begins... :wacko:

I have added the Point (now she must accept me). The good thing about stealth privacy settings is that it keeps the crazies away....and your mother from finding you (my mother is on it, god knows why!)....bad thing is it keeps people you want to find you from finding you.

90day.jpg

Oooooh... Sh!t storm brewing about the London Embassy in the Embassy forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...owtopic=165797.

I always love it when people who have zilch practical knowledge of how the process works in a particular consulate start chiming in. RJ's fighting the good fight for reason there, although I seem to recall that others with non-UK passports (in particular from Pakistan and Nigeria) get asked more questions at interview and tend to go into AP more often. But she's right in general -- people send off the checklist before everything's together all the time and just get approved pending submission of the doc.

Notice how I post here instead of stepping into the fray... I'm a chicken sometimes.

Oh yes, I forgot to recognise the VJ deity. Oops. Looks like he has an acolyte now too!

Are you still in Tokyo, Robin? When are you back in LA so we can do the Xmas party?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.