Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Aw, Robin, you know its just some good-natured ribbing! :)

On a more serious note, if you are encountering bears on such a regular basis, I must insist that we do sit down and work out the details of your life insurance policy! :P

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, this weekend my mother put down my beloved cat Phoebe. I found her abandoned in an alley as 4-week old kitten in the middle of winter in 1993. I knew she was weak but I'd hoped to at least see her again at Christmas. Although I don't think I'm as upset as my 12 year old niece, who has apparently been inconsolable.

Aww I'm sorry to hear about your cat :( Daisy has been grumpy since I got back and Riley has started "making friends" with the neighboring kitties - he plays with the tabby - they kinda play fight and chase each other a bit but it all seems good natured. The tortoiseshell one just miaows at him though so I am not holding out much hope there!! Ok - tabby has just had a poo in our garden (as the gardeners have decided against the gravel and are attempting to grow grass again :rolleyes: ) and Riley was watching it... nice(!) No wonder our garden smells...

no, not dissing the weekends, I've just never been good at really using them to their full potential. I lay around, then I feel like doing something, but it's already to late to organise, and I go back to laying around, watching TV and feeling like a slob.

Hmmm ok I'm not one to talk as I don't work (although got EAD so that will hopefully change soon - am nervous tho'!) but when Jeremy gets his days off we tend to spend the first day just doing things we need to, visiting family, taking recycling to wherever it needs to go etc... then we spend the next day just chilling out, watching TV, playing videogames or surfing the net - all very chilled :)

We saw a bear in Yosemite! Naturally I was so excited I was shaking and the thing turned out blurry - you kind of can see him though

Cool! I am yet to see a bear although we did see a few mahoosive blood smears on the roads during our trip - one of them was shortly followed by a huge horse/deer/cow (couldn't make it out) on the shoulder... nice(!) There was also what looked like a dead bobcat and a skunk... nothing alive though :lol:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
What's everyone doing for Xmas?

Having the family over to my house for all the Christmas festivities. And a long weekend afterward, since they will undoubtedly overstay their welcome!

Filed: Timeline
Nada. I get 1, count them, 1!!! days off.

!!!

We have a half day 12/24 (as if anyone will be here?), both 12/25-26 off & then half day 12/31 (once again, who will be here?), then off 1/1-2.

So I am taking 12/29-30 & I got a whole 10 days off! Most to be enjoyed back in Ohio with the family.

:dancing:

What's everyone doing for Xmas?

Having the family over to my house for all the Christmas festivities. And a long weekend afterward, since they will undoubtedly overstay their welcome!

;)

Awww, I know Julez. Although let's just say I doubt Ansel Adams feels his position as Yosemite photographer is under threat.

Aww I'm sorry to hear about your cat :( Daisy has been grumpy since I got back and Riley has started "making friends" with the neighboring kitties - he plays with the tabby - they kinda play fight and chase each other a bit but it all seems good natured. The tortoiseshell one just miaows at him though so I am not holding out much hope there!! Ok - tabby has just had a poo in our garden (as the gardeners have decided against the gravel and are attempting to grow grass again :rolleyes: ) and Riley was watching it... nice(!) No wonder our garden smells...

Thanks Jer - I've jsut about stopped getting teary eyed about it, though I'm sure when I go back to Detroit and see the gravestone created by my 12 yo niece for her I'll start bawling again.

I have a whole week off for Christmas - sometimes I love my company

90day.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
We saw a bear in Yosemite! Naturally I was so excited I was shaking and the thing turned out blurry - you kind of can see him though

bears.jpg

For a second I thought it was Sasquatch!

I placed a rather large order on www.britsuperstore.com on Saturday. They shipped it Monday & I received it today in California.

Very impressive!!

Now I have 20 packets of Mr. Porky :D , plus some Frazzles, Bisto & Nik Naks. :dancing:

And my Mom has 20 packets of cheese crispies, M&S Shortbread, orange & whisky marmalade and strawberry & champagne conserves.

Mmmm....M&S Shortbread. Hopefully we will be getting a box of those soon!

I'm having the thanksgiving for misfit people. Basically, it is everyone who can't go home or has no other place to go on Thanksgiving. So my roster (including my husband and myself) includes:

3 Brits

1 Canadian

1 Nebraskan

1 Tennessean

1 Ohioan

1 Downstater (downstate Illinois that is)

I'm making the turkey (I'm brining it the night before), stuffing and mashed potatos along with a pecan pumpkin pie. My friends are bringing various sides and booze.

We haven't planned for Christmas really to be honest. I was thinking of roasting up Cornish hens. I do believe at the moment it will be just Nicky and I celebrating together...but basically we're cancelling it for the most part. With both our job security wobbly for the next year we're not exchanging gifts amongst ourselves or with our friends and family.

Oh, Nicky started his job yesterday at Wal-Mart. To give you an idea of how ####### the economy is....he said the first thing they said at orientation was "this is the first year we've been able to be picky about who we hire." Basically, most of the people there had bachelor's degrees and had all lost their jobs at other places. He said they all stated that Wal Mart was the only place they could get a job at. Some of them were even business owners whose businesses had gone under in this economy.

Edited by ginger1981
wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I'm having the thanksgiving for misfit people. Basically, it is everyone who can't go home or has no other place to go on Thanksgiving. So my roster (including my husband and myself) includes:

I've been invited to a very similar Thanksgiving. Someone I met through meetup.com has invited me along with about 10 other single adults who have no family nearby. Her husband is British and it's his first Thanksgiving too so I won't be the only person not knowing quite what I'm eating. :D

What are 'candied yams' exactly? :huh:

Now I just need to find some poor unsuspecting soul to invite me for Christmas and I'm set. :thumbs:

Edited by English Muffin

Thanksgiving is now at Jeremy's grandpa's which will be nice :) Christmas is going to be Jeremy's family here which will be interesting - no pressies 'til the afternoon or the day is over before it has begun!!! We'll prolly cook up a Turkey and veggies and things like in the UK and have my infamous prawn cocktail for starters :) Then pressies then games from my dad's game compendium :D

Gonna have to call the UK fam in the morning though and am not looking forward to that - I think I will be sad :(

As for days off... it all depends on whether I have a job or not (!) I have just found an opening for an assistant manager at a jewelry store which would be awesome as I want to set up my own jewelry business so I can gain insight into the industry at the same time :D But I haven't a clue where to start with a resume - I have my CV but apparently they are completely different... once I get done checking my 180 e-mails (no joke) I will see if I can find samples online or something...

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have two weeks off at Christmas as basically government shuts down the week between Christmas and New Year. Me an my sister are going to a friends for Christmas dinner as my parents will be away and we have no other family in the area.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.