Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Oooh Indian snack food is yummy :D And that is a great cake - you should give it a go anyway - I mean, how hard can it be? And if it looks ####### at least you will still get to eat it :D

LOL...but look at how perfectly coiffed Tom's hair, eyebrows and 'stache are on that cake? I would fail as a human being if I didn't get it right :P

It's quite a crowd...the group ranges from Americans to Brits to Canadians to Indians so I wanted to have a bit of something everyone could enjoy.

Go with a "Foods from around the world" theme and pick a treat from each of the countries you are entertaining.

What would I do for Canada eh?

wtf-picard.jpg

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something with maple syrup???

I didn't look very hard but there are a few sites out there like this:

http://gocanada.about.com/od/recipesfromca...ink_Recipes.htm

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Oooh Indian snack food is yummy :D And that is a great cake - you should give it a go anyway - I mean, how hard can it be? And if it looks ####### at least you will still get to eat it :D

LOL...but look at how perfectly coiffed Tom's hair, eyebrows and 'stache are on that cake? I would fail as a human being if I didn't get it right :P

It's quite a crowd...the group ranges from Americans to Brits to Canadians to Indians so I wanted to have a bit of something everyone could enjoy.

Go with a "Foods from around the world" theme and pick a treat from each of the countries you are entertaining.

Poutine? Timbits? (lol - do you guys have Tim Horton's in Chi-town?) I'll check with my Canadian friends in the Canada forum & get back to you!

Timeline

Poutine? Timbits? (lol - do you guys have Tim Horton's in Chi-town?) I'll check with my Canadian friends in the Canada forum & get back to you!

Haha I did think about Tim Hortons...unfortunatly Dunkin Donuts rules the city. I thought maybe doing something with Canadian Bacon...

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline

*Marilyn* offered the following dessert idea:

Nanaimo bars...

img-resized.png Reduced: 91% of original size [ 560 x 420 ] - Click to view full image1942255-Travel_Picture-Nanaimo_B-1.jpg

The Nanaimo bar is a dessert of Canadian origin popular across North America. A type of chocolate no-bake square, it receives its name from the city of Nanaimo, British Columbia. It consists of a wafer crumb-based layer, topped by a layer of light custard or vanilla butter icing, which is covered in chocolate made from melted chocolate squares. Many varieties are possible by using different types of crumb, flavours of custard or icing (e.g. mint, peanut butter), and types of chocolate. Two popular variations on the traditional Nanaimo bar involve mint flavoured custard or mocha flavoured custard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanaimo_bar

The Original Nanaimo Bar

Ingredients:

***Bottom Layer ***

* 1/2 cup unsalted butter (European style cultured)

* 1/4 cup sugar

* 5 tablespoons cocoa

* 1 egg beaten

* 1 1/4 cup graham wafer crumbs

* 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds

* 1 cup coconut

***Second Layer ****

* 1/2 cup unsalted butter

* 2 tablespoons cream PLUS

* 2 teaspoons cream

* 2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder

* 2 cups icing sugar

***Third Layer ***

* 4 squares semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz. each)

* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions:

Bottom Layer

Melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts. Press firmly into an ungreased 8" x 8" pan.

Second Layer

Cream butter, cream, custard powder, and icing sugar together well. Beat until light. Spread over bottom layer.

Third Layer

Melt chocolate and butter overlow heat. Cool. Once cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill in refrigerator.

This recipe for Nanaimo Bar (Official) serves/makes 24 bars.

http://www.nanaimo-info.com/gpage.html

Timeline
Oh and Ginger, so obvious, but someone else suggested a Canadian classic - beer! :lol:

LMAO...well that will never be a problem! Though I honestly will pass on the Molson...I don't mind LaBlatt though.

Maybe I could do just a "beers of the world" theme. We have a fancy schmancy beer shop down the street and they carry beer from about every corner of the globe.

wtf-picard.jpg

Mmmm - they do look yummy... fell off the wagon yesterday though so back in diet mode again :( Ah well - I'll feel better about it when I can fit into my clothes again :o

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Timeline
Oh and Ginger, so obvious, but someone else suggested a Canadian classic - beer! :lol:

LMAO...well that will never be a problem! Though I honestly will pass on the Molson...I don't mind LaBlatt though.

Maybe I could do just a "beers of the world" theme. We have a fancy schmancy beer shop down the street and they carry beer from about every corner of the globe.

yeah...get all your guests completely pissed then you can feed them anything! :lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

those things look super yummy. I've had a bit of a baking addiction recently. It's great to have a proper oven again, I didn't have one for sooo long. And I gave myself a joining the union present - a kitchenaid mixer. Omg I love it. it's just a plain white one, the cheapest of all of them, the lovely coloured ones are wayy more expensive for no reason.

So far this week I've made cornbread muffins, 2 loaves of bread, banana bread, oh yeah, and I got a slow cooker and made some pulled pork. God, I need a job.

The UK Wiki

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

My parents are coming over next monday!! whoo hoo.

What should I ask them to bring over. I'm not sure I want them to bring tons of sausages or anything on a plane for that long. hmmmm

The UK Wiki

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

happy hump day everyone.

and i've now officially seen everything. a tom selleck cake. :blink:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.