Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

I lived in Scotland for a few years when I was a child and LOVED Irn Bru. Back when we returned to the US (mid 80s) the only place you could get Irn Bru was a few select places in Canada - Windsor being across the river from Detroit, though still a big effort to go for a can of soda.

Anyways, when I returned to the UK as an adult I remember being very excited about getting an Irn Bru - tasting it and then thinking, "how did i drink this syrupy $hit."

90day.jpg

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in Scotland for a few years when I was a child and LOVED Irn Bru. Back when we returned to the US (mid 80s) the only place you could get Irn Bru was a few select places in Canada - Windsor being across the river from Detroit, though still a big effort to go for a can of soda.

Anyways, when I returned to the UK as an adult I remember being very excited about getting an Irn Bru - tasting it and then thinking, "how did i drink this syrupy $hit."

and I cant wait to get to the States for diet Dr Pepper Berries and cream but I could not get it on my last visit so now on the raspberry vanilla version ha ha

My husband tells me that Irn Bru is not made in Scotland with girders but made in Kent - can this be true?

Nicky - have you seen this?

http://www.irn-bru-usa.com/orderonline.html

Irn Bru is still made in Cumbernauld (near Glasgow). Its possibly your husband is referring to one of the imitation brands? There are several different firms that produce Irn Bru. Barr original is still made in Cumbernauld.

Yes I've seen that website. I'm not sure if I want to order from that site or not. Irn Bru is actually illegal in the US. So they have to make it with a different colouring additive. Anyone tried the US version? They use a different sugar as well I believe.

We have a import store, that sells the Glasgow stuff. :D

Feb 2005 - Met online through brit band doves

Dec 15th 2005 - Met for first time at U2 concert in NE, USA

Apr 30 2008 K1 Interview Approved

Dec 11 2008 AOS approved

Dec 18 2008 Permanent Resident card received

Oct 22 2010 ROC NOA 1 Received

Jan 31 2011 ROC Approved

Doves Music Blog / Doves Official

Holy cr@p people -- stop the presses. We had RAIN here in Burbank! I went outside and stared at the sky, like I had never seen the stuff before or felt the drops on my skin. I'm such a dork. :star:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
babbles -- the video for Cemetry Gates is

Went to World Market yesterday and made the boy happy by returning with some Bounty bars and a packet of Paxo sage and onion stuffing. Also threw down waaaay too much money at Sephora at the totally b!tchin' Glendale Galleria.

Feeling a bit blue today -- I'm off to Connecticut on Thursday for 2 weeks, but I alas will be alone. B is staying here in Burbank, and I will be running around like a maniac. I have visits to New York City, Long Island, Portland Maine, and then another NYC trip all in the space of about 12 days, plus two events to attend with some mega-captains of industry. So I have to find and wear work clothes for the first time in nearly four months (I've been in flip-flops almost every day since the end of June, god knows what heels are going to feel like), locate autumn attire and try not to feel too horrible about leaving my husband behind for nearly a fortnight.

The video was great but I was dissapointed the dog did not have a cigar in it's mouth.

Btw...thanks for the compliment! I'll tell the property manager his center is bitchin'! :thumbs:

Was Ginger made to eat haggis?

She tried a wee bit. I think she liked it better than she let on. I know Ginger definitely enjoyed her fish n chips. :D

Liked it better than I let on LOL? It isn't the most horrible thing I've ever ate, but I don't fancy trying it again. Growing up my dad would make us kids liverwurst sandwiches, which make my stomach turn to this day. I could definitly taste the liver in the haggis... :blink:

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
Holy cr@p people -- stop the presses. We had RAIN here in Burbank! I went outside and stared at the sky, like I had never seen the stuff before or felt the drops on my skin. I'm such a dork. :star:

I was out, and C actually called me to say that that it was raining!!

he also told me that his mum asked us to stock up on water and canned goods, you know, because the sky is falling down :wacko:

The UK Wiki

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I was out, and C actually called me to say that that it was raining!!

he also told me that his mum asked us to stock up on water and canned goods, you know, because the sky is falling down :wacko:

Rain here too in Bakersfield. A few heavy drops and it passed, but the first rain here since I came here in March.

:wacko: Funny, a friend of mine told me today to stock up on water and canned goods - as a result of Pelosi reportedly declaring a state of martial law. He (my friend) might have a point tho!

Edited by bakofoil

Well, if we are supposed to be stocking up, Bruce is set. I just threw down nearly $250 on provisions for him while I'm away on the East Coast. Some of the stuff from Trader Joe's looks so good, I am seriously jealous! All these taquitos and enchiladas... :drool: Also, by special request, 6 tins of Stagg chili, 2 tubes of Pringles and some giant cashews.

Can't believe I'll be back in CT in 3 days -- it feels like 3 years, not 3 months since I left. I'm looking forward to seeing the foliage turning, and crisp evenings, and my wool jumpers... God, I can't believe I actually want to wear wool, but I do! Gah, LA summer, when will you end?

Edited by elmcitymaven

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

her reasoning was if the water employee's weren't paid they might walk out, and us living in an effective desert. Well I had already left the grocery store, and I wasn't going to go back. I suppose she's coming from the hurricane mentality. Most people never have to deal with all services shutting down, she deals with it most years in Miami. (she never evacuates, cos she can't - she's a nurse, and they get called in to work)

The UK Wiki

Timeline

I've thought about calling my grandma and asking her how to survive a depression. I imagine she would tell me to make clothes out of flour sacks and to start making chicory coffee!

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline

WAHOO!!!! Gareth and I had our interview today for his Green Card.....he's approved! So excited!! Off to celebrate!

Please buy Gareth's Flat....http://www.taylorsestateagents.co.uk/content/006_Results/002_Property/property-sales-tayrps-LWC080078-1213606331

Timeline

Congratulations :dance:

met on 29-5-2005

filed k1 25-07-2008

noa1 11-08-2008

touch 14-08-2008

touch 06-10-2008

touch 07-10-2008

visited 14 times since 2005

first visit august 19th 2005

10146.gif

.png

NOA2 16th DECEMBER!!!!!!!

We paid $5 for a can of Irn bru!! Just as well we have somewhere local where we can get it for $1.70.

:o That's cheaper than the UK!!! Did you check the BBE?!?!? Also - do you remember the Irn Bru bars? I used to *love* those when I was in school :D

"Rain"? :wacko: What's that? :unsure:

Well, if we are supposed to be stocking up, Bruce is set. I just threw down nearly $250 on provisions for him while I'm away on the East Coast. Some of the stuff from Trader Joe's looks so good, I am seriously jealous! All these taquitos and enchiladas... :drool: Also, by special request, 6 tins of Stagg chili, 2 tubes of Pringles and some giant cashews.

Can't believe I'll be back in CT in 3 days -- it feels like 3 years, not 3 months since I left. I'm looking forward to seeing the foliage turning, and crisp evenings, and my wool jumpers... God, I can't believe I actually want to wear wool, but I do! Gah, LA summer, when will you end?

Ohhhhh don't - we are on a diet as of tomorrow - I have been through our weightwatchers recipe binder which has made me feel quite hungry as some of the foo looks yummy!! But still... I want to live in TJs because I love it so much...

Totally hear you with the wool thing... I was reading something about someone who wanted to fill in their fireplace and wanted advice on how to do so. The advice was that every good American household should have an open fire to snuggle in front of. I'm thinking "yeah right - even in PS?!?!?!". It was in the local paper as well :wacko:

I am thinking eventually we will move somewhere with four seasons - three months each of spring, summer, autumn and winter. I never thought I would say it! But I think with the UK is that it just rains all the time and it is so unpredictable that you don't even get a summer... We'll be on the lookout ;) Right now though I am hankering after wearing trousers and snuggling up with the heating on. As it is it was over 100 again today... It doesn't help when I talk to mum who tells me about the dewy cobwebs and crisp mornings...

WAHOO!!!! Gareth and I had our interview today for his Green Card.....he's approved! So excited!! Off to celebrate!

Great news! Gratz!! Still no news here - nothing online and nothing in the mail since biometrics on the 16th...

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.