~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Guys, all this walk down hair's memory lane and I am crying laughing here at my desk. Now my colleagues will know with certainty that I am insane!

My hair was asymmetric from about 84 to 86. Had a few of what I will term normal years, where it was cute with some professional highlights. I think it was late 88 when I decided that a perm was in order. Stuck with that misguided look for a few years.

:rofl: @ Ginger's mullet. Pretty sure I had something similar in the 70's. Makes me hate my Mom that she made such terrible hair choices for me. :hehe:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Guys, all this walk down hair's memory lane and I am crying laughing here at my desk. Now my colleagues will know with certainty that I am insane!

My hair was asymmetric from about 84 to 86. Had a few of what I will term normal years, where it was cute with some professional highlights. I think it was late 88 when I decided that a perm was in order. Stuck with that misguided look for a few years.

:rofl: @ Ginger's mullet. Pretty sure I had something similar in the 70's. Makes me hate my Mom that she made such terrible hair choices for me. :hehe:

I think it was about 1989/1990 when I got my first spiral perm. I have a picture of it somewhere...I think I'll have to scan it when I get home. It was truly atrocious...it always looked poodle-ish with a nice little poofball bang to it.

That picture is truly of it's era. I was wearing a little pink outfit that had pink bikeshorts with lace appliques and lace around the bottom hem of the legs...and my hair was about 3 feet in diameter. At some angles I could block out the sun.

Why did our mothers hurt us with mullets? I'm still going to therapy :rofl:

wtf-picard.jpg

My hair evolution is thus:

early 70s - born with short curly hair followed by lopsided hair cuts, as a result of mother being my stylist

mid 70s - hair is allowed to grow as long as possible, crystal gayle style

late 70s to early 80s - dorothy hamill

mid 80s - "feathered" hair; first perm. Aqua-net and an oversized comb essential

86-88 - assymetric.

1988-1992 - mall hair

1992-present - various bobs

90day.jpg

Timeline

Loving the hair histories! When I was a kid my Aunt Mickey was a hairstylist and we always had to go to her for our haircuts. She was evil! She'd yank the tangles viciously out og your her and cut my ear on more than one occasion, never apologizing for anything. I remeber on time in the late 70's she burned one of her customer's with the curling iron (!) and got mad when the lady complained. She was and is a real peice of work.

So, I couldn't wait for the day that I could choose where I got my haircut and would pay for it myself. The year is 1982 and I have my own paper route, making money! Yeah. Cut a pic out of a magazine, and clutching it firmly in hand enter Eri Gene's salon. The excitement at getting the haircut of my choice was unbearable. How every one will envy my stylish new haircut, I thought to myself. Thirty minutes later, after the "stylist" complaining bitterly about how thick my hair is, I walked out of there with what I can only describe as a bowl haircut. I was crushed. It was the exact same haircut Aunt Mickey had given me in 1978. As an 8 year old it wasn't so bad, but as a 12 year old I wanted to die. :lol:

The good thing about aging is that you come to realize that your hair will grow back. And that what looks good right now will likely look really funny in 20 years! So what the heck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I operate under the same philosophy...I don't mind taking risks with my hair. It grows back fast to boot...right now I'm growing it back out a bit as for the last couple years it has been pretty short. I want to see how I rock a bob now.

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline
Obviously we need pics or it didn't happen. ;)

I already posted mine awhile ago.

Need to find and scan. My mom still has most of the pics of me that hail from my first 20 years.

Seems like all the ones I have available scanned in are from the ratty long hair era, though I know I have some from the early 90s pitch black bob (a la Louise Brooks) phase. I never went for a perm -- I saw what the 80s had done to my mother's hair and said no thanks. My hair journey is fairly similar to Robin's at the beginning, including a HORRIBLE Dorothy Hammill-cum-asymmetric cut in 1986 that was so short one of my teachers actually thought I was a boy. For 3 months! (Jesus, did I just say that in public?) The funny thing was, I was wearing ra-ra skirts, jelly bracelets all the way up my forearms and even had boobs.

And I was all about the teasing too, though not really in a big hair way. My hair was all one length when it was very long, but I would tease the front section up to make a tsunami-effect wave thing. I used not only Aqua Net but something called Hair Epoxy. Man, that stuff was the bomb. Your hair *never* moved. There were several experiments with egg whites as well, and even a beehive once after the original Hairspray movie came out.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Okay, this is the only one I can find right now, but as it's black and white you don't get the true horror:

n550620304_3925162_6111.jpg

I think I am 16 there, and very very deep. Also, my hand looks freakishly large.

I am still misunderstood! That was no phase. I couldn't go for pale and interesting with my colouring, so I just wore a whole lotta black, as I still do. In fact, I've often thought that my whole "Hey, I should move to London!" lark started with the idea that somehow people were a lot more in touch with their tortured, morbid souls and that all the guys would be just like Morrissey and Robert Smith. WRONG.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.