Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
I'm sure I might get plenty of barbs for this, but I find it difficult to vote for someone who thinks ID/creationism should be taught in public schools. Or abstinance only education (sure worked with her daughter!). Or that it is god's mandate we go to war or build a pipeline.

I don't mind McCain so much, but let's be honest...he's on the upper end of the average life span for a male. He seems to be fairly healthy, but with people that age it can change very quickly. Look who is second in command then?

At least with Obama he is surrounded by people with experience.

This is why I don't like the Reps. They fail to learn from their mistakes. That is why her daughters pregnancy is a pertinent issue. Not because of how it reflects on her parenting skills, but on how it reflects on her lack separation between faith and government.

The UK Wiki

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I was very torn, too, but since the DNC and RNC, and all the eye-opening speeches, my decision has been made much easier. And since both McCain and Palin stand for everything I don't believe in, I couldn't ever bring myself to vote for them.

Experience must count for something?

When I look at McCains politics, regardless of experience, its just not what I want for me and my family. To vote for someone merely because they've been a politician for a long time seems a bit short-sighted to me. If we never give the new guy a chance, will we be left wondering over the next 4 years what might have been? For me, the last 8 years have been some of the darkest for the US. Do we really want to chance four more of the same?

I'm just really surprised that someone who has been such an ardent supporter of HRC could conceive of voting in the GOP for 4 more years. I mean, I love Hillary and still feel disappointed that she couldn't seal the nomination, but not so disappointed that I can abandone my beliefs.

Please note, I'm not attacking you dev, really just trying tounderstand your POV since I always thought we were polically compatible! :)

Yet you backhanded me in your 'question'? I've stated my concerns w/ both, and that I am indeed UNDECIDED, yet somehow this makes me a bad person for not following party line & voting Dem, no matter how much I question that candidate?

I'm done discussing it. Same sh*t, different forum.

Edited by illumine

Timeline
When I look at McCains politics, regardless of experience, its just not what I want for me and my family. To vote for someone merely because they've been a politician for a long time seems a bit short-sighted to me. If we never give the new guy a chance, will we be left wondering over the next 4 years what might have been? For me, the last 8 years have been some of the darkest for the US. Do we really want to chance four more of the same?

I'm just really surprised that someone who has been such an ardent supporter of HRC could conceive of voting in the GOP for 4 more years. I mean, I love Hillary and still feel disappointed that she couldn't seal the nomination, but not so disappointed that I can abandone my beliefs.

Please note, I'm not attacking you dev, really just trying tounderstand your POV since I always thought we were polically compatible! :)

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about it. However I don't get a vote. C is seriously considering the possibility of flying over to vote in Florida, rather than registering here, in what will certainly be a blue state.

The UK Wiki

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I dunno, a lot of people thought Bill Clinton was too inexperienced to be the President, and yet he led this country quite well during his 8 years. People took a chance back then because they were sick of the same old same old experienced GOP candidates and it really paid the US dividends. The White House needs a shake up. Big time.

Timeline
I was very torn, too, but since the DNC and RNC, and all the eye-opening speeches, my decision has been made much easier. And since both McCain and Palin stand for everything I don't believe in, I couldn't ever bring myself to vote for them.

Yet you backhanded me in your 'question'? I've stated my concerns w/ both, and that I am indeed UNDECIDED, yet somehow this makes me a bad person for not following party line & voting Dem, no matter how much I question that candidate?

I'm done discussing it.

I did NOT backhand you. I am seriously trying to understand your POV. And I NEVER said you were a bad person. I'm sorry if you think I'm attacking you, I really am just trying to understand.

Timeline

ok so how bout that 90210, :unsure:

My green card is in the mail this time for sure! And my boxes have arrived. They still have to clear customs, but I'm pretty excited. And I had a meeting yesterday, that I might have a job out of. Nothing for certain, and it wouldn't be my dream job, but it would pay money, and get me started.

Happy thursday everyone!!!

oh and ginger, was that the great north run in England, you were talking about?? I watched it one year, it looks tough!

The UK Wiki

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Experience does count for something, but it is not everything. I was rather shattered by the primaries as I liked both Hilary and Obama...I thought that had they ran better campaigns they would have had an unbeatable ticket. But that isn't the case.

The republicans...I would maybe say more pointedly their evangelical base...go against many things I believe in. They say don't have an abortion, it kills a life...but I rarely hear from them how to give a child a good life after it is born. I hear that gays are somehow "threatening" my marriage, but yet they get their only defense from a couple verses in a 2500 year old book. I'm attacked for not being a patriotic American because I question the decisions made by my leaders...not because I'm some sort of commie but because I love my country enough that I don't want it f'ed up.

I admit that not all the democrats stances ring true with me, and I'm not convinced that Obama will really make any fundemental changes if elected. But at least to me, the democrats aren't interested in opposing semi to outright religious views on my life.

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline
oh and ginger, was that the great north run in England, you were talking about?? I watched it one year, it looks tough!

The one in Newcastle...that would be the one :-) I'm doing the Chicago Half in about 10 days, and I have a few others lined up I want to do next spring/summer. I'm not so concerned with the distance but the hills...I have no way of training for those except on ye auld treadmill.

Do you know much about the Dublin Marathon? If I don't do the Great North Run that was the other race I was thinking about doing when we go back over next fall.

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline

can't say that I do know much about the Dublin Marathon, my sister did the Women's mini marathon one year, but I don't know how long it was. Dublin still has some hills, but I don't think it would be quite as bad as the great north run, hill wise. It's also probably a smaller event, so depending on your perspective that could be good or bad. There are still crowds by the side, cheering you on and there's all the usual stuff, the roads closed off, medical personnel standing by, etc etc.

The UK Wiki

Filed: Timeline
I admit that not all the democrats stances ring true with me, and I'm not convinced that Obama will really make any fundemental changes if elected. But at least to me, the democrats aren't interested in opposing semi to outright religious views on my life.

So it only applies if Dems are elected, not Reps?

I'm done discussing it.

I did NOT backhand you. I am seriously trying to understand your POV. And I NEVER said you were a bad person. I'm sorry if you think I'm attacking you, I really am just trying to understand.

I'm not mad at you Julez. And to your point, I *AM* that disappointed with the Dem pick, that I may vote Rep for the first time ever.

Edited by illumine

Timeline

I think the experience question is a distraction from far more pertinent questions about policy, and not if they can govern, but how they would govern. Let's face it, if dubya can manage to do it, getting by must not be that hard. Doing it well is another matter.

The UK Wiki

Timeline
I think the experience question is a distraction from far more pertinent questions about policy, and not if they can govern, but how they would govern. Let's face it, if dubya can manage to do it, getting by must not be that hard. Doing it well is another matter.

Amen sister Pointy! :thumbs:

Timeline

So it only applies if Dems are elected, not Reps?

I have a greater uneasiness of the kind of "changes" - or non-changes that could happen with a republican leadership than with a democratic leadership. For example, a greater chance of troops coming home with democrats than republicans. I think there is a greater shot at rebuilding international confidence in the United States with Obama than with McCain (and note...I think the same would have been true with Hilary).

Those are just a few examples of my point of view. Everyone is entitled to what they believe and what they hold dear...I tend to give more respect to someone who has thought their position through first rather than someone blindly supporting the other candidate just because there is a D or an R behind their name. ;) I come from the deepest of redest of states and I now live in Obamaramaland...so I understand how it can work both ways :yes:

Edited by ginger1981
wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline
can't say that I do know much about the Dublin Marathon, my sister did the Women's mini marathon one year, but I don't know how long it was. Dublin still has some hills, but I don't think it would be quite as bad as the great north run, hill wise. It's also probably a smaller event, so depending on your perspective that could be good or bad. There are still crowds by the side, cheering you on and there's all the usual stuff, the roads closed off, medical personnel standing by, etc etc.

The Dublin course didn't look too bad...it seemed to stay along the southside and around Phoenix Park. I like their course better...but at the GNR I would have people cheering me on. Eh...I might do the one race this year and another the next. I'll just have to work out in which order.

wtf-picard.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.