~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline
Hahaha...Iowa's speed limit is ridiculously slow (on I-80). It was always hard for me going from Nebraska (I-80 speed limit 75) to Iowa (65...or at least that was what it was last time I drove through).

Have you given gravel roads a try yet?

Yeah, speed limits around here are kinda weird. I-80 keeps randomly bouncing back and forth between 65 and 70. Just "national speed limit" the lot and have done with it ><

Gravel roads are interesting, I don't recommend them if you've recently cleaned the car!

Stu

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

hi guys, yes, maven, we brought you home. When Robin and Dev were leaving you seemed pretty fine, you ordered another drink, but I think the previous drinks were just hitting you. We went outside to get some air, and I ended up calling C, to take us home.

Bruce did not look at all impressed when I got there. I'm sure he'll get over it, but I hope you have a REAL big birthday plan for him. >>hugs<<

The UK Wiki

Filed: Timeline
You were falling asleep. There, I outed you.

*shakes fist*

And you owe salad girl some cash. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Good times. :lol: And don't worry Maven. Your hubby will get over it. He's not going to leave you for coming home drunk one night. I'm sure you can think of ONE thing that he's done where you've thought/said "That's it. I'm leaving you." :devil:

You guys are a riot.

iagree.gif

Pointy - did I even get round to talk to you about jobs? Because I meant to do that!

I remember Robin being very sleepy. :whistle:

I was trying to talk to her the whole ride home, to keep her awake. I stopped at some point tho. :lol:

Clearly, the drinks were spiked! Maven, give me Bruce's number, I'm your affidavit.

90day.jpg

Well, we started talking about it and we're going to continue talking about it. It comes down to this: even though I don't drink every day (or even most days) that doesn't mean I don't have a problematic relationship with alcohol. (Deep breaths.) Somewhere along the line I stopped having the sense to stop once I started. When I was living with my ex, who has his own booze issues, we used to both drink a lot, all the time. It became difficult for me to have a good time without getting rat-arsed. And then of course I used it for many, many years to self-medicate because I was so effing miserable with my ex. Once I got out of that situation, and began living with Bruce, I stopped drinking so much and feel a lot better for it.

But...I realize something very weird is going on with me. I can drink just one drink with dinner, or at a bar, or whatever no problem. But when I feel I need to rebel, I will drink to excess. Why was I rebelling last night? Why do I need to lose control so completely? I think I need to start going to a therapist again to talk about these issues. I was going to start again anyway to help me with my remaining anxiety issues. Anyone have any recommendations in LA? I need to make an appointment, stat.

Sorry for oversharing here. I feel terribly alone and frightened of myself. :(

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Timeline
Well, we started talking about it and we're going to continue talking about it. It comes down to this: even though I don't drink every day (or even most days) that doesn't mean I don't have a problematic relationship with alcohol. (Deep breaths.) Somewhere along the line I stopped having the sense to stop once I started. When I was living with my ex, who has his own booze issues, we used to both drink a lot, all the time. It became difficult for me to have a good time without getting rat-arsed. And then of course I used it for many, many years to self-medicate because I was so effing miserable with my ex. Once I got out of that situation, and began living with Bruce, I stopped drinking so much and feel a lot better for it.

But...I realize something very weird is going on with me. I can drink just one drink with dinner, or at a bar, or whatever no problem. But when I feel I need to rebel, I will drink to excess. Why was I rebelling last night? Why do I need to lose control so completely? I think I need to start going to a therapist again to talk about these issues. I was going to start again anyway to help me with my remaining anxiety issues. Anyone have any recommendations in LA? I need to make an appointment, stat.

Sorry for oversharing here. I feel terribly alone and frightened of myself. :(

Oh Maven. *hugs*

I will send you an email.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Maven *hugs*...if you really think you have a problem with alcohol, I would suggest attending an AA meeting. My father and my brother sobered up with the help of AA and both continue to attend meetings every week. For my dad that's over 25 years and for my bro, over 10 years.

Don't beat yourself up too much about last night. An empty stomach paired with drinks often ends with unpleasant results. Forgive yourself, and I know Bruce will get over it soon, too. (F)

Ah maven, I am sorry about that - I wish I was able to give you a hug.

The way I feel is that sometimes you have to cut loose and be a bit silly, although maybe that's not the right thing to say. You've just moved across the country and had a lot on your plate lately. Fortunately, the good thing about living here is that the opportunities for drinking like a fish are minimized by the need to drive places to do it.

90day.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.