5,160 posts in this topic

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Eek :/

If that's you having passed any driving test recently (sorry, I don't know your circumstances exactly), honestly, you'd be amazed how quickly you pick it up and relax. The important thing, which my sister didn't do and has all but given up driving, is to keep through it, even if you have to dawdle about empty roads in the wee hours, just to set your mind at ease. My dad used comment that my knuckles went white, from gripping the steering wheel so tight, and driving made me ache. One day I'm like hang on, I'm completely relaxed here, and I wasn't even mindful of the transition. It'll come, soon!

If it's adjusting to the US road system, I hear ya. I can drive anywhere with Shan in the car now though, giving me directions. It was kinda weird going back to white knuckle driving again, but after about 3 or 4 weeks, it's back to relaxed.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, I'm sure it'll be ok though :)

Stu

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time, Pointy. But LA traffic and US driving rattled my husband, a seasoned driver, so you can't be expected to completely get the hang of it when you've only been driving a short time. Staying off the freeways might not be a bad thing - you can sometimes get there faster using local roads anyway!

90day.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Morning :)

Hmm, reading the blurb on the Iowa DMV site, looks like I'll need either the EAD or greencard to apply for a license here. They should give me an honorary license for being one of the only people to stick to the speed limit here :P

Stu

Hahaha...Iowa's speed limit is ridiculously slow (on I-80). It was always hard for me going from Nebraska (I-80 speed limit 75) to Iowa (65...or at least that was what it was last time I drove through).

Have you given gravel roads a try yet?

Well it helps that I was CR-1, and had an SSN from being on a J-1 before, just needed the card to be re-issued.

However. Things are not so super happy today. I learned to drive 3 weeks ago, and havent' driven in two weeks. So I'm a little sensitive (very sensitive) about how ####### a driver I am. Except, we had to get both the rental car AND the car we just bought, home from the top-of-a-very-steep-hill where it was perched. And I have not been driving the rental because it's waaay too big for me (a Chrysler 300M). Sooo, good news, I managed to get the new (used) car down the hill, and almost home (I missed the last turn). Bad news, C told me how many times I veered in to the next lane, or nearly hit parked cars on the way home. I was very upset. He was parking the rental at the time, and scraped the wing mirror off the concrete pillar next to the parking space. It had to be returned this morning, so no time for a quick trip to the garage, to see what could be done. Now we are at the mercy of Budget to charge us what they like for the damage. AND I really still can't drive. I just couldn't bring myself to go on the freeway by myself today. So C has had to return the (damaged) car to the airport, and find his way back to Los Feliz.

It's amazing how quickly one's mood can change. The money's draining fast. I was up half the night worrying. Need to get a job fast, need to earn some money to keep up will all of this. It didn't help that we were sleeping on the floor cos the mattress STILL hasn't arrived.

Oh lord. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass.

Getting set up is so hard...you have to buy so much ####### to get yourself started out. After a few months it should even out. When I moved a few months ago I had basically a bed and dining room set. I gradually acquired furniture via craigslist...someday I'll get new stuff but what I have will do me for right now.

Ugh sleeping on the floor...I hope your back is holding up ok!

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

good morning - but where is everyone?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

good morning - but where is everyone?

Dev, Robin, Pointy -- what the hell happened last night? Last thing I remember is having a Bombay Sapphire and tonic... Wake up on the couch. How did I get home???

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Timeline
Dev, Robin, Pointy -- what the hell happened last night? Last thing I remember is having a Bombay Sapphire and tonic... Wake up on the couch. How did I get home???

Hey, I was fine. :yes:

Didn't Pointy's hubby get you?

Next time, we need to go somewhere with food & smaller drinks. Robin - :whistle:

Edited by illumine

Next time, we need to go somewhere with food & smaller drinks. Robin - :whistle:

:rofl:

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Anything blackmail worthy?

iagree.gif

:rofl:

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Anything blackmail worthy?

:innocent:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

:o I thought you had sworn off the gin! :P

I gotta get to one of these UK VJ meetups! They are off the chzain!

Seriously, what is the likelihood that something was slipped in my drink? It's like I remember everything up until I had that g and t.

When we left you, you & Pointy were going to have one more. I think it's a case of lack of food.

:o I thought you had sworn off the gin! :P

I gotta get to one of these UK VJ meetups! They are off the chzain!

;)

PS: I think it was cheap gin she wasn't allowed to drink.

Hey Maven - was hubby mad? :lol:

Well, I had the same experience as Maven so those drinks were definitely spiked. Did I fall asleep sitting up? I told you I have alcohol-induced narcolepsy. Honestly, the state of me........

Edited by rkl57

90day.jpg

Bruce and I spent yesterday afternoon and evening helping Poiteen and her husband pick out a new (well, new but used) car. We learned something: never hunt for a used car in Koreatown! It was waaaaaaaay Dodge City. Bruce said, "Never buy anything from a guy with a running truck" and hot damn if there weren't two vendors who fit that description. Once we got out to the Valley, we saw three more that were much more realistic propositions. We hope we helped them find a nice dependable car that they'll be happy with.

Awww - I can't wait til we get to buy - will have to e-mail you links to potential cars :D

Hey guys!!!

Status Report:

Drivers Licence: Check!

SSN Card: Check!

Apartment: Check!

Awesome iPhones: Check!

Car: Nearly Check (picking it up in a few hours) - THANK YOU MAVEN AND BRUCE!!!!

Car Insurance: Check!

Green Card: Not yet

Job: No. Not even started looking. But I will..... soon.

I'm exhausted. I need to sleep for a week. Preferable in really good A/C. :)

Oh hun - that is fabulous news!! I feel like such a slacker compared to you!!! I am still being a total wuss over driving and keep telling myself that I will learn again when we get a new car as there is no way I can drive the van!!! I'm also going to my volunteer job tomorrow and am really nervous. I have a bicycle now though so I get to cycle there - I guess it is one way to get used to being on the wrong side of the road but I am scared of that too... grr - I feel like a little kid :(

I got it i got it ji got it then the guy in the warhouse office downstairs rings up and says if you dont stop all that racket im gonna get you. Apparently the happy dance is quite noisy.

Shiny visa in my Passport :)

:dance::lol: Congratulations!!! Are you really waiting until the end of the year to move?!?!!

However. Things are not so super happy today. I learned to drive 3 weeks ago, and havent' driven in two weeks. So I'm a little sensitive (very sensitive) about how ####### a driver I am. Except, we had to get both the rental car AND the car we just bought, home from the top-of-a-very-steep-hill where it was perched. And I have not been driving the rental because it's waaay too big for me (a Chrysler 300M). Sooo, good news, I managed to get the new (used) car down the hill, and almost home (I missed the last turn). Bad news, C told me how many times I veered in to the next lane, or nearly hit parked cars on the way home. I was very upset. He was parking the rental at the time, and scraped the wing mirror off the concrete pillar next to the parking space. It had to be returned this morning, so no time for a quick trip to the garage, to see what could be done. Now we are at the mercy of Budget to charge us what they like for the damage. AND I really still can't drive. I just couldn't bring myself to go on the freeway by myself today. So C has had to return the (damaged) car to the airport, and find his way back to Los Feliz.

It's amazing how quickly one's mood can change. The money's draining fast. I was up half the night worrying. Need to get a job fast, need to earn some money to keep up will all of this. It didn't help that we were sleeping on the floor cos the mattress STILL hasn't arrived.

Oh lord. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass.

*hugs* You'll get through it :) As for the driving - it is the worst thing in the world having someone point out all your little mistakes when you are still new to something. Stu is right - keep at it, even if it is just in parking lots or quiet back streets making right turns all the time so you don't have to cross traffic :) When I first learned to drive in the UK I used to get out of the car with a stiff neck because I was so tense but the transition into being relaxed does happen in time - it doesn't feel like it but it will really help when you *have* to drive as it keeps you motivated. My problem is that I don't *need* to drive right now so... I'll prolly be a worse driver than you when I get in the car because I am so out of practise and have never driven over here!!!

Money will sort itself out in time - we have about $3000 on our credit cards and we have to spend another $3000 from our savings on a car and AOS. We still have hardly any furniture in the house and yesterday we just bought a hamper, bedding, towels and things like that as it was driving me nuts that we didn't have the little things we needed!! Sleeping on the floor also sucks hard BUT it is the BEST feeling when you finally get the bed together - it starts to feel a little more like home :) I love our bed now, but it was dreadful having to sleep on the floor after travelling for 24 hours :angry:

Besides - look on the bright side - you get a road trip with Maven and get to come visit our pokey little home! Just bear in mind that the decor/colours are not our choice as is the sofa (pastel burberry is so not a good look... Need to get a throw - ideas anyone? Don't like the ones in Walmart).

Oh - and party-goers/comers - if you could bring a foldup chair or such like then that would be kinda handy - we were hoping to have patio furniture but it disappeared from World Market :cry: We have one ####### chair from the computer desk and our puke-coloured sofa :D

And any news from English Muffin? Is she still coming too?!?!?!?

:lol: Oh dear - and I didn't even know you guys went out!! I hope there are pictures!!!

Weird on the drinks though... Stupid people - makes you wonder why they bother doing it... :angry: Nothing was missing at all?

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.