Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

Hahaha - isn't that typical?! I'd love for someone from here to live in PS :)

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Either Bridgewater or Middleboro! (somewhere around there, whatever is cheaper!)

What a coincidence!!

Spooky! :D

I hope you enjoy wherever it is you end up living. Massachusetts isn't for me and I'm looking forward to moving soon. I'm sure you're well aware of the MA winters and the ridiculous cost of living here. As long as they don't come as a shock to you you should be ok. :)

Well the costs of living in Bath are extremely high so I hope they don't come as a shock.

I am a little worried that MA will be a bit "boring" as I'm used to being surrounded by lots of people and shops etc. From what I've seen of Bridgewater, Middleboro, Brockton etc; it's very empty! I don't know how I'll make friends. Bill tells me that I'll make them through neighbours or working but I'm not so sure. I would rather live closer to Boston, if it weren't for the expense.

Anyways, I hope we can keep in contact, wherever you end up!

Timeline
Well the costs of living in Bath are extremely high so I hope they don't come as a shock.

I am a little worried that MA will be a bit "boring" as I'm used to being surrounded by lots of people and shops etc. From what I've seen of Bridgewater, Middleboro, Brockton etc; it's very empty! I don't know how I'll make friends. Bill tells me that I'll make them through neighbours or working but I'm not so sure. I would rather live closer to Boston, if it weren't for the expense.

Anyways, I hope we can keep in contact, wherever you end up!

The Bridgewater area is a little boring, yes. I've struggled to make any friends here, although I have some 'acquaintances' at yoga. I don't have children and a lot of the community activities are geared towards kids, which hasn't helped me.

I hope you enjoy living here and we can definitely keep in touch. If you need to know anything about Bridgewater or the surrounding area just give me a shout. :)

I'm going to be living in a big city and I'm still concerned about getting to make friends. I'll be out on the very edge of the suburbs so few places around, and I don't drive yet. Learning to drive is going to have to be a priority or else it's going to become extremely boring extremely quickly!

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Timeline
I'm going to be living in a big city and I'm still concerned about getting to make friends. I'll be out on the very edge of the suburbs so few places around, and I don't drive yet. Learning to drive is going to have to be a priority or else it's going to become extremely boring extremely quickly!

Getting a car here really changed my life! The first few weeks here without one were awful, particularly because it was January and some days the snow on the pavements was 3 or 4 feet deep. I was very lucky because I could already drive and had the money to be able to go out and buy a new one - I understand not everyone is as fortunate as that. I would recommend to anyone moving here to make learning to drive and getting the use of a car a priority - unless they live in the centre of a major city with good public transport.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

good morning ya'll.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Getting a car here really changed my life! The first few weeks here without one were awful, particularly because it was January and some days the snow on the pavements was 3 or 4 feet deep. I was very lucky because I could already drive and had the money to be able to go out and buy a new one - I understand not everyone is as fortunate as that. I would recommend to anyone moving here to make learning to drive and getting the use of a car a priority - unless they live in the centre of a major city with good public transport.

I agree.

I can't drive but want to wait until arriving in the US to start learning - figured it would be easier to learn everything rather than try to "unlearn" at the same time. But I know from the few days that Bill would go out to work and I would be left sitting at home waiting for him to come back that it does suck... just to be able to go for a coffee or go to the mall would be nice!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi from LA!!! We have finally got here. And are now contemplating the househunt, carhunt, jobhunt, lifehunt. Right now the most pressing one is breakfasthunt.

I have to say I am so envious of the LA VJ meetups! I wish I could go too! Maybe some day...

Anyhow, on an exciting note, we are officially moving into our new house this weekend!! We've been moving boxes and smaller stuff since last weeked, but the big stuff goes Saturay and then we are living in the new house!! I'm super excited about it! :D

we can have one anytime you're available Julez, and congratulations on the move, you won't know what to do with yourself once all this stuff is done!!

YAY!! Pointy - I e-mailed you an invitation :) It might have gone to your spam folder though... I don't know :) Marta is coming down as well so it should be really cool! Are you all going to be bringing respective partners?! At this rate I will need to get more party bags!! :lol:

Ok - so my target now is to defo get some patio furniture and maybe some fold-out chairs or we won't have anywhere for people to sit - I can also recommend bringing personal fans (of the wafty kind, not the groupie kind :lol: ) if you have any! We can move the one from our bedroom into the living room but because of where we have the sofa, the air con doesn't get round very easily - will have to see what I can do to cool the place off a bit!

AHHH!! I am sooo excited now! I was convinced that we would have like two people turn up and it would be rubbish!!! Now I am thinking I might need another trip to the dollar store and Big Lots before the tiki stuff goes - it's all harvest stuff now - boo!!

As for this weekend, we are going to be in AZ having our legal paperwork wedding and meeting Tucson Chick of July Filer fame :) We're meeting at her place then heading down to Tombstone so that should be really cool :D Will defo keep the train info though for future meet-ups!! Woohoo!!

Ohhh I feel like I have so much to do!

Can't wait for the party Aly, and please don't go to too much trouble on our account, we can bring anything you might be missing. Can't wait to meet Marta, and put a face to the fantastic posts she makes. Good luck with the legal ceremony Aly, and the little trip. Sounds like you need it right now. >><<

Learning to drive is going to have to be a priority or else it's going to become extremely boring extremely quickly!

I can't drive but want to wait until arriving in the US to start learning - figured it would be easier to learn everything rather than try to "unlearn" at the same time. But I know from the few days that Bill would go out to work and I would be left sitting at home waiting for him to come back that it does suck... just to be able to go for a coffee or go to the mall would be nice!

Thats what I did, and I had my DL in a week. Mind you, I would not like to drive on my own still, but at least now that I have the license I just have to work on getting better for my own benefit. I would strongly recommend getting lessons, though. It made all the difference. In your first weeks of being in the US, your finance teaching you how to drive, may not be what you need. And besides the instructors have those cars with the brakes, and they are used to learners, so they are just all around less stressed out than a family member or partner.

All the best dudes xxxx Smell you later xxxxx

The UK Wiki

Welcome to Los Angles Pointy - where are you staying.

English Muffin - I'm very sorry to hear about your marriage.

Julez - come to a meet up! Think of all the life insurance you could sell!

I was away in Oregon for the past few days - what else did I miss?

90day.jpg

Oh yay - I am so excited about everything! Pointy - I have to go to a certain amount of trouble - I figure if we decorate the place well enough then you might not notice the lack of furniture/crappy air con system/masses of dust :lol:

I dusted and polished yesterday and it looks as if it hasn't been touched for a week - it really sucks :(

I should be sweeping and mopping now as I want to do that before I put the last load of laundry in so everything is uptogether for when we leave later - I am just too excited!!

And welcome to LA!! I'll be seeing you in a few weeks!! Woohoo!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks for the welcome guys, I feel like i'm really milking it, with my bit by bit arriving. But I'm done now :)

Staying in a really tiny hotel in Santa Monica. It was advertised on Westside Rentals, so there's a coin washer and dryer in the hall, and a fridge and microwave in the very tiny room. But best of all it's on Colorado, between 5th and 6th, so very close to the pier and the beach.

Aly, how did the volunteering go? I know it's money, but you should try to get one or two driving lessons. It would really help you to ease in to driving, and give you someone to ask any dumb questions you might have about the traffice laws (I had loads, and I have loads more now that I'm in a new state). I think once we have a house, I'm going to get some more here, so I have confidence here.

Hope today is a good day for you Gillian, when is your trip to SC?

The UK Wiki

Timeline
Hope today is a good day for you Gillian, when is your trip to SC?

Thanks Pointy, and yes today is a good day. :D

My trip is 24-30 August and I'm really getting quite excited about it now. BTW it's NC, not SC. :)

Pointy!!! I just picked up your voicemail. My phone was dead. :( WELCOME TO LA!!! I'd love to meet up tonight but I am unfortunately indisposed. We can wait for the meet up, but beats me when it is! Robin, dev (are you back?) -- how does Sunday late afternoon suit you?

May I just take a moment to say WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I cut my left index finger last night on one of my awesome new Ginsu knives. (Those ads in the 80s about how sharp they are were no lie.) It bled and bled like a mofo. I never realised until now how much I use that finger, even though I am a righty. :angry:

In happier news, looks like I am about to get some more work thrown my way! This makes job number 3; it's an adjunct research position, much like my main job. Cool beans. :dance:

And Aly, I am going to bring my own electric fan. The maven does not do sleeping in outrageous temps. I also scouted out booze yesterday... Red or white? :star:

And Pointy again... ROAD TRIP!!! It's only about 2 1/2 hours from Burbank to Palm Springs on the fast route, but we could take the scenic route if you like. The car is still blowing cold air, thank goodness.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.