Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thank you guys!! I showed it to my OH, and he was chuffed that there was nice people like you guys on my internet. He only hangs out with rude people on his forums :lol:

Already got myself booked in to get a learners permit and driving lessons. I might take the test here or wait till I get to LA, I think maybe i'll take it here and get it over with.

POE was fine I suppose, the first officer was very friendly and sweet, the people in the secondry processing was also ok, but I had that feeling, you know when police question you? You know you haven't done anything wrong, but you feel like you have or something. I don't know, I don't find those experiences very comfortable, but it was fine. They also kept telling me that I should remove conditions before our 2 year anniversary, I said 'oh do you mean the second anniversary of my entry?'. They ignored me. I left it at that.

It's midnight at home, so I'm flagging now. We got a nap earlier, but I need to sleep early I'm just going to give in and sleep. It was a rough day yesterday, not going to deny myself when there's a nice bed waiting for me! I do think that I might try to gradually ease myself to pacific time, before getting out to LA, so I can hit the ground running.

The UK Wiki

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Thank you guys!! I showed it to my OH, and he was chuffed that there was nice people like you guys on my internet. He only hangs out with rude people on his forums :lol:

Already got myself booked in to get a learners permit and driving lessons. I might take the test here or wait till I get to LA, I think maybe i'll take it here and get it over with.

Poiteen - wait on your license - you will need to re-test in cali if you have an out of state license!!!!

POE was fine I suppose, the first officer was very friendly and sweet, the people in the secondry processing was also ok, but I had that feeling, you know when police question you? You know you haven't done anything wrong, but you feel like you have or something. I don't know, I don't find those experiences very comfortable, but it was fine. They also kept telling me that I should remove conditions before our 2 year anniversary, I said 'oh do you mean the second anniversary of my entry?'. They ignored me. I left it at that.

It's midnight at home, so I'm flagging now. We got a nap earlier, but I need to sleep early I'm just going to give in and sleep. It was a rough day yesterday, not going to deny myself when there's a nice bed waiting for me! I do think that I might try to gradually ease myself to pacific time, before getting out to LA, so I can hit the ground running.

Yay!! You made it!! By the time you hit LA, you'll be about as far away (ok a little further maybe) from me as you were in London :P

You're brave with the driving already! We can't afford a second car - we need to change Jeremy's as it is so I prolly won't learn to drive until we get somthing smaller with better mpg. I don't need to drive right now anyway and it will take us a while to even be able to afford two cars so...

As for where - personally even without the out of State license issue, I would always opt to learn where you are going to live - it will give you a bit of a head start on some of the roads while you have someone in the car with you instead of getting used to a place you may not drive again :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Did you ever learn in the UK? I can't remember... I am such a nervous driver anyway I am dreading it... :( There are so many one way streets and things here and nothing is sign posted properly and everything looks the same and I am going to get sooo lost... as it is I have only just figured how to get to our house from the highway... that has taken a while!!!

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Timeline

No, I've never driven. At all. Since I didn't know at all, I didn't think it would be worthwhile to learn in the UK, since the lessons were expensive and it would be pretty different from here. I think learning a bit here, and then maybe even taking some more lessons in LA, is better than starting from zero when I get to LA *shrugs*

The UK Wiki

Timeline

The other reason I'm doing it here is because C's mom knows a good driving school, because her 15 year old stepson recently got his learners permit, and had some lessons with them. I feel old.

The UK Wiki

Hahaha - I didn't get my license in the UK until I was 23 and I know people who were older when they passed :)

I'd be happy to cycle if it wasn't so darned hot :wacko:

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Welcome to the US Poiteen.

I concur, hold off on driving lessons here until you get to LA. You can take practice tests online in some states. Generally you have to be a resident of said state to get a DL, so I'm not sure (as I don't know your situation) if you would be eligible or not. You usually don't need to take tests or anything to get a learner's permit as long as you are a resident.

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I have the entire day and evening to myself today - Scott is doing some guy stuff with his brother.

I'm having chinese take-out delivered later and I have a bottle of red wine all ready to go.

Does anyone here think that 4pm is too early to start on the wine? :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Any time after 12pm is fair game in my book! I mean, the queen mother started on her gin in the morning and she live to be over 100...

What's good enough for the Queen Mother is good enough for me. I'm off to get my corkscrew. :lol:

Filed: Timeline
Well, you know, I figure I need to learn asap, I don't really mind having to re-test, it might help my confidence.

but you can only get a license if you are a resident in that state. You also have to show two forms of ID - one with your SSN on it. Do you have one yet?

Along with your Certificate of Completion you must bring two forms of identification to show proof of birth date and social security number to the drivers license office. The primary identification must be an original or certified birth certificate or social security card.

http://www.dmvflorida.org/drivers-license.shtml

Also, you will need to re-take the written here, yes. And we do have different laws.

Edited by illumine

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.