Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

Congratulations Julez! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Funny how weeks can go by and bring nothing but disappointment and then suddenly there's a rush of good news all at once - not that I'm complaining!

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh I love all the happy news :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Robin & I will toast you tonight with drinks & garlic fries (but not karaoke)! :D

Cool! That sounds like fun!! And yummy!! But I REALLY want Robin to serenade you with Charlene's, "I've Never Been to Me"!!! :devil:

Question: I am editing my policy paper right now. I have had a lot of useful feedback so far on it, and am incorporating much of it. I have one problem though: one of my editors is suggesting changing "amongst" to "among" and "enquiry" to "inquiry". I have no issue changing to American spelling, but the words I have used are both variants used in America. Should I change them? To me, it's like altering my writing voice, not just changing the spelling.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Question: I am editing my policy paper right now. I have had a lot of useful feedback so far on it, and am incorporating much of it. I have one problem though: one of my editors is suggesting changing "amongst" to "among" and "enquiry" to "inquiry". I have no issue changing to American spelling, but the words I have used are both variants used in America. Should I change them? To me, it's like altering my writing voice, not just changing the spelling.

Did your editor give a reason why he thought it would be better to change the words? I would state that it would feel like it would be changing your voice.

Speaking of happy news...Nicky is thrilled that the Fox Soccer Channel came with the standard cable package. He can now keep up with Sky Sports News!

wtf-picard.jpg

She told me I could take the suggestions or leave them. I'm using about 80% of them. I'm certain if I tell her it would affect the paper's tone she would be happy. And, it also helps that she's one of my pals! You're right -- I should just talk to her. :thumbs:

Filed: Timeline
I've always though "amongst" is a Britishism. Is it used here? People definitely pointed it out as such when I returned.

I think so. Same with whilst.

When I worked for this one ad firm in NYC, our UK design team used enquiry on our site & everyone was like, NO, definitely not that spelling. Americans do not use it.

The intended audience of the document is not just Americans -- in fact, I think most of the people who will read it are in the UK and the Netherlands. I don't know -- it just doesn't sound right to me to say "among". If it really is an issue for the lead faculty member (who is also the hardest ### in the research center) then I'll change it.

I don't want to sound twee! But I also want to sound like myself.

By the way, if I NEVER see this policy briefing again in my life I will die a happy woman.

I packed a suitcase this morning :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

g'morning all. and tough call on that one, maven. is your editor american?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.