Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Well, don't envy me just yet, you guys!!! I'll will keep you all posted on how the offer goes, and the all-but-certain counter-offering goes!!

I can't even imagine what you guys have to pay for houses out in LA!! *shudders*

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That new house is lovely! I have house envy.

me too. :crying:

do you not like Newark? I find it infinitely preferable to JFK.

If I ever set foot in EWR again, it is too soon. Am currently trying to book a flight into JFK or LGA but they are far more than EWR. Still, I will pay it - all my friends/business is on the East Side of Manhattan/Brooklyn.

Really? The EWR hate surprises me, because I haven't had problems there and it's pretty modern. I haven't been through it since 2003 though, so maybe that's why. JFK on the other hand, I hate. The last time I was there it was practically a building site and that new train they have that takes you from the terminal to the MTA station sucked. when I was still living in England I flew in with a friend, who was a UKC, it took us an hour to get through immigration control because they had 2 people to process a plane-full of non-USCs. I then got grief in the customs line as I was very agressively questioned as to why I might be returning to visit the country of my birth and citizenship (him: "why did come to the US last December." me: "uh, to spend Christmas with my mother.") I think JFK even beats LAX and O'Hare as my least favorite airports

Oh, and Julez, may I join in the house envy? *Sigh*

My mom and dad made a very kind offer to us this weekend -- they would buy us a house in LA and then do a quit claim to us, and we would make payments on the mortgage. Then I showed my mom how much a house in WeHo or Silver Lake cost and I think her eyes rolled back in her head! It was a great idea that was always doomed to failure.

Prices are still coming down though - most places in the Westside are currently reducing prices by about 20% from their original asking price. Hopefully, they have much further to go!

90day.jpg

I dunno - I haven't seen much of LA but I wasn't that enamoured with it - I think I prefer somewhere a bit smaller :D I need a t-shirt that says "I <3 Palm Springs" with like a palm tree on it or something :D

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My mom and dad made a very kind offer to us this weekend -- they would buy us a house in LA and then do a quit claim to us, and we would make payments on the mortgage. Then I showed my mom how much a house in WeHo or Silver Lake cost and I think her eyes rolled back in her head! It was a great idea that was always doomed to failure.

I don't think the cost of buying is quite as bad as LA yet here in Chicagoland, but I was looking at buying a condo earlier this year and it hurt me. Bad.

The cost of a lovely 4 bedroom house in Buffalo is the same as a junior 1 bedroom condo...in a shady neighborhood...here. :wacko:

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline

I don't think the cost of buying is quite as bad as LA yet here in Chicagoland, but I was looking at buying a condo earlier this year and it hurt me. Bad.

The cost of a lovely 4 bedroom house in Buffalo is the same as a junior 1 bedroom condo...in a shady neighborhood...here. :wacko:

Yikes! The house we're trying to buy is in an absolutely lovely village in suburban Buffalo - about 20 miles outside the city. I love Chicago, but dang, it is expensive!!! I feel for you guys in the pricey cities - but the great thing for you guys is that there is sooooo much to do. Buffalo is good, but not cosmopolitan.

Filed: Timeline
OK, here is the latest home. Fingers crossed that the third is the charm!!

http://hfe.buffaloniagarahomes.com/propert...property_type=1#

The pics don't really do it justice, though I do acknowledge that it needs a bit of fixing up, but at just under 2,000 square feet and the super price, will I complain? NO!!! :lol:

Oh, that's lovely, Julez. Fingers crossed!

Thanks Aly!! Our offer will be presented this evening and I am a wreck! I totally didn't agree with Griff on our offer. I think we are lowballing the guy and don't feel good about it. Hopefully, the guy won't be too offended and will counter with something that we believe to be reasonable.

We gave a severe low-ball offer on a house before we bought this one.... completely offended the wife, but not the husband. We countered back and forth until she issued an ultimatum with very angry pride. I absolutely refused because I knew it wasn't worth that much and put an offer in on one of our backup houses. (Which was accepted with no counter-offer, btw.) Several months later they finally sold that house.... for less money and more conditions than what our final offer was. Karma is a wonderful thing. :luv:

iagree.gif

Timeline
OK, here is the latest home. Fingers crossed that the third is the charm!!

http://hfe.buffaloniagarahomes.com/propert...property_type=1#

The pics don't really do it justice, though I do acknowledge that it needs a bit of fixing up, but at just under 2,000 square feet and the super price, will I complain? NO!!! :lol:

Oh, that's lovely, Julez. Fingers crossed!

Thanks Aly!! Our offer will be presented this evening and I am a wreck! I totally didn't agree with Griff on our offer. I think we are lowballing the guy and don't feel good about it. Hopefully, the guy won't be too offended and will counter with something that we believe to be reasonable.

We gave a severe low-ball offer on a house before we bought this one.... completely offended the wife, but not the husband. We countered back and forth until she issued an ultimatum with very angry pride. I absolutely refused because I knew it wasn't worth that much and put an offer in on one of our backup houses. (Which was accepted with no counter-offer, btw.) Several months later they finally sold that house.... for less money and more conditions than what our final offer was. Karma is a wonderful thing. :luv:

I hear what you're saying Krikit, but this house is extremely fairly priced. The asking price is just about right on the money, IMO. Who knows? This little gamble of Griff's might just pay off! Or backfire, in which case, I shall be excessively peeved. I am tired of house hunting. The charm and magic has certainly worn off!!

Filed: Timeline
I hear what you're saying Krikit, but this house is extremely fairly priced. The asking price is just about right on the money, IMO. Who knows? This little gamble of Griff's might just pay off! Or backfire, in which case, I shall be excessively peeved. I am tired of house hunting. The charm and magic has certainly worn off!!

I hear ya. There are so many unknown factors when making an offer. You just never know until you try. I will be sending good vibes your way that it will pay off. BTW.... is there a Wegman's in Hamburg? :lol:

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline

I hear ya. There are so many unknown factors when making an offer. You just never know until you try. I will be sending good vibes your way that it will pay off. BTW.... is there a Wegman's in Hamburg? :lol:

Thanks, I will be worried sick until this is all setteled....and yes to the Wegman's in Hamburg!!! :star: Its a spiffy nice one (recently remodeled) right across from McKinley Mall. Plus, there are plenty of eating a drinking opportunities in the area!!!

Timeline

Yikes! The house we're trying to buy is in an absolutely lovely village in suburban Buffalo - about 20 miles outside the city. I love Chicago, but dang, it is expensive!!! I feel for you guys in the pricey cities - but the great thing for you guys is that there is sooooo much to do. Buffalo is good, but not cosmopolitan.

If I REALLY wanted a house that bad I could always move back to my hometown in Nebraska as home comparable to the one in Buffalo would cost a little over $100k. But the downside is that I would have drive to Lincoln to work a job that pays almost decently. There are just so many more opportunities to advance where I'm at, and maybe I can't get a home right now but hopefully in a few years I'll be able to get what I want in the city.

wtf-picard.jpg

Timeline

If I were still young and didn't have the responsibility of my kids, I would so be on the same path as you Ginger! I envy, TBH! I would love to live in Chigaco!! My favorite US city!! I wish I had done more before I had kids. But I didn't, so we work within the parameters that now surround us.

Timeline
If I were still young and didn't have the responsibility of my kids, I would so be on the same path as you Ginger! I envy, TBH! I would love to live in Chigaco!! My favorite US city!! I wish I had done more before I had kids. But I didn't, so we work within the parameters that now surround us.

You can always come and visit us! We have a futon and a sleeper couch so there is plenty of room! Oh and plenty of wine to boot...I just went nuts at World Market and got some nice Rieslings and Chardonnays. I'm hoping to eventually get this to go in my dining room:

World Market - Liam Bar

It will take a while for us to save up for it though!

wtf-picard.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.