Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Illumine and rkl favorite backstage bar has karaoke Wednesdays!

Dude, it's karaoke every Thurs-Sat. I hate karaoke! :blush:

Speaking of garlic fries, when are we going????

Poiteen & maven - I went from Santa Monica - Dodgers game (Echo Park) yesterday - 16 miles - it took me TWO HOURS. Welcome to LA!

Edited by illumine

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Awww. That's a lovely dress, Ginger. And your wedding sounds like it's going to be lovely too. Almost makes me want to do mine over. (not) :hehe:

Well I imagine it will be worth it a month from today. Right now it feels like a lot...doesn't help that I just moved but now that the proverbial and literal dust is settling I feel slightly less stressed about getting wedding stuff done.

I fell in love with the dress...first one I tried on. Though it puzzles me why anyone would have their bridesmaids wear that dress!

wtf-picard.jpg

Poiteen & maven - I went from Santa Monica - Dodgers game (Echo Park) yesterday - 16 miles - it took me TWO HOURS. Welcome to LA!

Stuck in a sigalert nightmare!

I bow to your superior knowledge of the local watering holes - sure they do Wednesdays too? You know, they might do Erasure or similar, it would be fun!

90day.jpg

Stuck in a sigalert nightmare!

I bow to your superior knowledge of the local watering holes - sure they do Wednesdays too? You know, they might do Erasure or similar, it would be fun!

I checke dthe songbook - they have Charlene AND Erasure. But I'd have to be realllllllllllllly drunk to deal. :)

I checke dthe songbook - they have Charlene AND Erasure. But I'd have to be realllllllllllllly drunk to deal. :)

that can be arranged :devil:

Oh totally

If they do Charlene there is little you can do to stop me - more time for you to get drunk

90day.jpg

Oh totally

If they do Charlene there is little you can do to stop me - more time for you to get drunk

Oh yes. I'm sure the three of us can pour enough beer into you to activate the Charlene switch.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Oh totally

Oh yes. I'm sure the three of us can pour enough beer into you to activate the Charlene switch.

I don't drink beer! :no:

Well I missed out on the doggy poo stories, so here's mine (I'll spoiler it for those with delicate constitutions!)

Our flatcoat retriever ate socks, too. Was addicted to them for about 6 months. Fortunately they always passed through her without any problems. She's now rid herself completely of that habit and she and her son just stick to eating old, smelly cow pats instead. Yuck! Her son is a bit of a pickle and will eat any food you leave out. One year he ate both my birthday cakes. He was so hyper for the rest of the day.

I am getting married in a conservatory...so I didn't feel the need to get flowers LOL. I also have a friend who is a amateur photographer, and all she is charging me for is the photo paper and the dark room fees. I would suggest getting some photographer...it would be nice to have something to save for the future. I would try asking around to see if anyone knows an amateur who would like to get the experience under their belt.

I found out in Chicago that just hiring an officiant cost on average around $400...which is ridiculous for someone to come say a few words for 20 minutes. Basically Nicky and I are going into the courthouse the day before to have a civil ceremony, and then for the ceremony I'm having one of my closest friends officiate. Nicky even wrote the ceremony himself...I'm rather proud of him!

We're just having a MoH and a Best Man for attendants. Not only does it cut on costs, but also it avoids (at least with women) the drama that can go along with picking bridesmaids.

Our reception is at a local Irish Pub that has a nice party room in the basement. There is a bar down there and a soundsystem, so Nicky is just loading up his iPod to hook up in there. We're having a finger food buffet type thing, and we're doing a champaign toast and buying 1 round of drinks. As my family is Irish American and his is Scottish, our families and friends could easily bankrupt us booze-wise, so after the first round they have to fend for themselves (although we'll provide free pop and water the whole time).

For a dress...for example, go to www.houseofbrides.com . If you go to look at bridesmaid dresses, there are tons that look like wedding dresses and even come in white. Don't ask me why someone would want to dress their bridesmaids in long white dresses but I suppose it happens. Anyways, I got my dress for $250 - basically because it was a bridesmaid dress as opposed to a wedding dress. Actually, this is my dress: http://www.houseofbrides.com/product.php?p...=443&page=5 No one (unless I told them) knows that it is really a bridesmaid dress.

The really expensive part really was the venue. Though if I had done an outdoor ceremony I would needed to rent a tent (Chicago weather is notoriously fickle) and it would have ended up costing the same. I think it was a little over $1000 altogether. I would see if you know someone who has a nice garden who would be willing to host the ceremony.

Other than that if you need advice just PM me. Mine wedding is a month from today...

Thank you for this post. Your wedding sounds like it will be lovely! I love the dress, and that site seems to have its wires crossed in general - I mean, they're recommending this for the MOB:

http://www.houseofbrides.com/product.php?productid=3691 :wacko:

(I am sure someone's mother would manage to carry it off, but it'd be a very rare person who could do so!)

My friend is currently taking a photography course and has offered to take a few photos. I've never liked another photo someone else has taken of me but at the very least it would be prudent to have a few for AOS/proving a valid relationship somewhere down the line!

$1000 sounds good to me for a venue and finger food! That's all I'd be asking for, really. :)

Choosing a dress is going to be difficult, I fear. I don't want to particularly stand out but it'd probably be best if I wasn't mistaken for a guest, either. ;) White's not a very slimming colour, and I can't quite decide what's a flattering cut. Ideally I'd like something with long sleeves, but not sleeves that were too see-through (i.e. not lace). I'm thinking a pale coloured dress with a v-neck, 3/4 length-full length sleeves, fitted waist and a tea-length skirt.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Timeline
Well I missed out on the doggy poo stories, so here's mine (I'll spoiler it for those with delicate constitutions!)

Our flatcoat retriever ate socks, too. Was addicted to them for about 6 months. Fortunately they always passed through her without any problems. She's now rid herself completely of that habit and she and her son just stick to eating old, smelly cow pats instead. Yuck! Her son is a bit of a pickle and will eat any food you leave out. One year he ate both my birthday cakes. He was so hyper for the rest of the day.

I am getting married in a conservatory...so I didn't feel the need to get flowers LOL. I also have a friend who is a amateur photographer, and all she is charging me for is the photo paper and the dark room fees. I would suggest getting some photographer...it would be nice to have something to save for the future. I would try asking around to see if anyone knows an amateur who would like to get the experience under their belt.

I found out in Chicago that just hiring an officiant cost on average around $400...which is ridiculous for someone to come say a few words for 20 minutes. Basically Nicky and I are going into the courthouse the day before to have a civil ceremony, and then for the ceremony I'm having one of my closest friends officiate. Nicky even wrote the ceremony himself...I'm rather proud of him!

We're just having a MoH and a Best Man for attendants. Not only does it cut on costs, but also it avoids (at least with women) the drama that can go along with picking bridesmaids.

Our reception is at a local Irish Pub that has a nice party room in the basement. There is a bar down there and a soundsystem, so Nicky is just loading up his iPod to hook up in there. We're having a finger food buffet type thing, and we're doing a champaign toast and buying 1 round of drinks. As my family is Irish American and his is Scottish, our families and friends could easily bankrupt us booze-wise, so after the first round they have to fend for themselves (although we'll provide free pop and water the whole time).

For a dress...for example, go to www.houseofbrides.com . If you go to look at bridesmaid dresses, there are tons that look like wedding dresses and even come in white. Don't ask me why someone would want to dress their bridesmaids in long white dresses but I suppose it happens. Anyways, I got my dress for $250 - basically because it was a bridesmaid dress as opposed to a wedding dress. Actually, this is my dress: http://www.houseofbrides.com/product.php?p...=443&page=5 No one (unless I told them) knows that it is really a bridesmaid dress.

The really expensive part really was the venue. Though if I had done an outdoor ceremony I would needed to rent a tent (Chicago weather is notoriously fickle) and it would have ended up costing the same. I think it was a little over $1000 altogether. I would see if you know someone who has a nice garden who would be willing to host the ceremony.

Other than that if you need advice just PM me. Mine wedding is a month from today...

Thank you for this post. Your wedding sounds like it will be lovely! I love the dress, and that site seems to have its wires crossed in general - I mean, they're recommending this for the MOB:

http://www.houseofbrides.com/product.php?productid=3691 :wacko:

(I am sure someone's mother would manage to carry it off, but it'd be a very rare person who could do so!)

I think only the mother of Glenda the Good Witch could pull off that cotton candy monstrosity. And really...that gal looks a whole 16? Must be for a Kentucky wedding I suppose! :P

On a whole, I found if anything is labeled "bridal" the cost goes up quite a bit just because of that. I don't want to wear a veil or a tiara, so I was looking at headbands. I went into one bridal store and found some cute ones...but they were all well over $100! To me they were maybe slightly better in quality than something you would get from Claire's. Same with shoes...I ended up just getting some nice flats from Payless for $18.

wtf-picard.jpg

I got my hairpiece from Claire's - it was lovely :) It only cost about £2 but I refused to pay the ridiculous prices of "bridal" stuff. You can kinda see it here:

Ok so you can't because if the image was to be in the new 10k limit, you wouldn't be able to see it. Owel :(

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Timeline

Packet 3 arrived today B)

All this wedding talk reminds me I need to order my veil.

Also... my previous cat once ate one of my ribbons and we had to wait for it to come out gradually and cut it off in bits... I really love my Mum for handling that one.

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.