Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I got feedback from my supervisor -- he complimented me on my paper, and said what a joy it was to read. Now we just have to do revisions and we are home free -- and my life can go back to normal.

Going over to a friend's tomorrow night for a girly evening of red wine and 80s karaoke. Yay! :dance:

:star: Awesome!

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurrah for karaoke kitty!

maven - awesome; now you know you've written a good paper! :thumbs:

By the way, when did everyone fix their wedding dates? I know that the best thing to do is to wait to book anywhere until your visa is in hand, but I'm worried about giving guests enough notice. Anyone book a date before having their visa in hand? I have my NoA2 and would like to fix a date in late December.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Having had a few unforseen delays with the case. We decided not to send out invites until the visa was approved at the interview.

We've had the venue booked for sometime. But I didn't want my family in the UK booking flights, then having to tell them that there has been another visa delay. They did know when we wanted the wedding to take place, so we didn't just drop the date on them. Once we got approval, family were all ready to book flights.

Feb 2005 - Met online through brit band doves

Dec 15th 2005 - Met for first time at U2 concert in NE, USA

Apr 30 2008 K1 Interview Approved

Dec 11 2008 AOS approved

Dec 18 2008 Permanent Resident card received

Oct 22 2010 ROC NOA 1 Received

Jan 31 2011 ROC Approved

Doves Music Blog / Doves Official

Our guests do know the rough date, but yes, I think I shall just have to advise them that it'd be best not to book plane tickets/accommodation until after the visa is in hand. I'm just being asked by Alex's mother to let her know a date as soon as possible so that a venue can be booked. Might be best to wait to book that, too...

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

I had to change my wedding date twice due to the slooooooooow way my divorce case was wending through the High Court. Once I got the decree nisi I at least knew when I would be free to marry, I got those invites printed and out. People kept asking, "Are you really getting married this time?" It was pretty embarrassing. :blush:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

as soon as we had the visa and he touched ground in los angeles we were in vegas the next weekend. obviously, not a choice for everyone but the perfect choice for me considering the idea of getting my parents in the same room together would have required negotiations on par with bringing peace to the middle east!

90day.jpg

I got feedback from my supervisor -- he complimented me on my paper, and said what a joy it was to read. Now we just have to do revisions and we are home free -- and my life can go back to normal.

Going over to a friend's tomorrow night for a girly evening of red wine and 80s karaoke. Yay! :dance:

:star: Awesome!

Yeah, it should be totally tubular! :P

Oooooooo.... red wine and karaoke! Now that's my idea of a celebration! Time for Karaoke Kat! :dance:

KaraokeCat.jpg

:lol: Love it!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

as soon as we had the visa and he touched ground in los angeles we were in vegas the next weekend. obviously, not a choice for everyone but the perfect choice for me considering the idea of getting my parents in the same room together would have required negotiations on par with bringing peace to the middle east!

Yeah I totally understand. I have my mum coming out to Chicago with her new hubby for the wedding. As a result, my Dad wont be coming. :(

Sometimes I do think it would have been much easier for us todo the vegas wedding. The things you do to please both your families.

Feb 2005 - Met online through brit band doves

Dec 15th 2005 - Met for first time at U2 concert in NE, USA

Apr 30 2008 K1 Interview Approved

Dec 11 2008 AOS approved

Dec 18 2008 Permanent Resident card received

Oct 22 2010 ROC NOA 1 Received

Jan 31 2011 ROC Approved

Doves Music Blog / Doves Official

Tell me about it. I told my mother about our decision and she really wanted to come and said "but you don't have to tell your father." My father would have found out through the grapevine that we got married, she was there and he wasn't there. Not fair to dad. It was going to be all of the family or no family, so we elected no family. Much less stressful that way! And our wedding was still a blast, especially when we won enough money to pay for AOS on the slots.

90day.jpg

By the way, when did everyone fix their wedding dates? I know that the best thing to do is to wait to book anywhere until your visa is in hand, but I'm worried about giving guests enough notice. Anyone book a date before having their visa in hand? I have my NoA2 and would like to fix a date in late December.

We told everyone like 6 months ahead but didn´t book anything until we had the visa in hand and told everyone not to arrange anything either until we tell them to do so :P It worked out very well :) Got visa in Dec and got married in Jan :)

Thank you, guys! I think I'll follow all of your advice and not confirm the date until after I have the visa in hand. :) Hopefully I'll still be able to give 3-4 months' notice. We're having it over the Christmas holidays as that way most people don't have to book time off work in advance (I was concerned that people would find it stressful being too close to Christmas but apparently that isn't the case).

I really, really wish I were doing the Vegas thing too, only for far more selfish reasons. I'm very fortunate to have family and future in-laws who get along very well (most of the time!) - I just don't want a wedding! It's not me and it's something I've never aspired to have. Ah well. :blush:

07/11/2006 - First met

12/27/2008 - Marriage

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.