Jeraly

~Off Topic Thread~

5,160 posts in this topic

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am all about the dives, in fact my absolutely favourite place of all time is a time-warped late 1940s hole called the Anchor, right here in New Haven. It used to be Jodie Foster's local back in the 80s; she wore a wig, apparently, when she would settle in for a session there. Best jukebox ever -- big band, 50s rock and early 60s soul. Just perfect. I went there last Saturday night with a friend; we each had 2 beers and split an order of chicken tenders and the bill came to $14.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

yes i'll miss old man pubs. They are my favourite. And i'll miss working in Soho. I love Soho.

Maven - You're only allowed to go for drinks with rkl and dev, if you give a full report in the morning - OK?

I've been trying to convince the boy of all the above, especially since the rents are so much more affordable in Silverlake/Los Feliz than Santa Monica. I suppose it'll be easier to demonstrate when we get there. Thanks for the heads up though. When I started to look at apartments, I was clueless enough to think that Long Beach was a possibility :lol: (VERY cheap :lol: )

Honestly, the reason he's so enamoured with SM is cos he's trying to consider me. I don't (yet) drive, and he had a hard time adjusting to over here, so he's trying to give me a soft landing by being somewhere that I can walk around to stuff before I have my licence. And I prefer walking anyway. He'll be delighted to be back in a car!

He's defo never worked for anyone called Atilla, or any other Huns that I know of :lol: . He's only ever worked for Disney in London, but we're hoping he can get transfered. That would be especially good, cos I think it would come with benefits for both of us.

The UK Wiki

yes i'll miss old man pubs. They are my favourite. And i'll miss working in Soho. I love Soho.

Maven - You're only allowed to go for drinks with rkl and dev, if you give a full report in the morning - OK?

I've been trying to convince the boy of all the above, especially since the rents are so much more affordable in Silverlake/Los Feliz than Santa Monica. I suppose it'll be easier to demonstrate when we get there. Thanks for the heads up though. When I started to look at apartments, I was clueless enough to think that Long Beach was a possibility :lol: (VERY cheap :lol: )

Honestly, the reason he's so enamoured with SM is cos he's trying to consider me. I don't (yet) drive, and he had a hard time adjusting to over here, so he's trying to give me a soft landing by being somewhere that I can walk around to stuff before I have my licence. And I prefer walking anyway. He'll be delighted to be back in a car!

He's defo never worked for anyone called Atilla, or any other Huns that I know of :lol: . He's only ever worked for Disney in London, but we're hoping he can get transfered. That would be especially good, cos I think it would come with benefits for both of us.

Atilla worked in London but I believe he left - there were so many changes in the last year I was there with who did what in the gaming and digital world I couldn't really tell you who was who and what was what.

You can walk around Silver Lake and there are lots of nice shops and bars - don't know the bus situation though. Bus situation in SM is actually pretty good.

I was pretty clueless about LA too - once you get here, you need to drive around all the different places to get a feel for it. I have a book maps for hte county I'd recommend getting if you don't know the area (kind of like the London A-Z). Can't remember what it's called - but I will report back when I next go to my car.

90day.jpg

Filed: Timeline
I *think* it's the Thomas Guide. We found it very useful when we visited in September.

First thing anyone must be when arriving in LA! I used it 2 days ago.

http://store.randmcnally.com/category/thom....do?code=tbhome

---

Poiteen, there are plenty of neighborhoods that have walkable stuff. An apt close to walking stuff in SM will be just as expensive as the same in Silverlake. Same size too. We looked all over SL at first, then West LA. I've seen far too many apts & know the going rate tho!

West LA is good. All my co-workers live here, cheaper than SM, but only 3-4 miles from the beach!

Culver City is walkable too.

Edited by illumine

Filed: Timeline
Hey I can do fancy cocktails or dive bars. I'm not fussy!

Fancy cocktails at the Sky Bar is more LA than 500 blondes shopping at Kitsons!

My fave place for margaritas in LA/group outings: http://www.elcoyotecafe.com

I think my friends & I must go here at least once a month - and always with guests. It's an LA landmark!! He!!, Sharon Tate ate her last meal here...

Hey I can do fancy cocktails or dive bars. I'm not fussy!

Fancy cocktails at the Sky Bar is more LA than 500 blondes shopping at Kitsons!

My fave place for margaritas in LA/group outings: http://www.elcoyotecafe.com

I think my friends & I must go here at least once a month - and always with guests. It's an LA landmark!! He!!, Sharon Tate ate her last meal here...

Oh my god -- I always ALWAYS go to El Coyote when I'm in LA! My BF from high school dragged me there for the first time about 4 years ago and I love it. He lured me there with the Sharon Tate tale; being a fan of the Valley of the Dolls I couldn't resist.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Hi everybody! I haven't been here for a couple weeks, just wanted to pop in and say hello. :star:

I booked mine and doggies airline tickets this week, we both fly out on June 17th. The movers are coming to pick up all of our boxes on June 2, so I've been frantically packing! I can't believe how much stuff we have, even though I got rid of so much stuff prior to moving here 2 years ago! Still need to sell our sofa, bed and some misc furniture. I can't sleep at night! My mind just won't stop...then I wake up exhausted! I'm sure some of you can relate! :)

Anywho, hope you are all well and getting some sunshine wherever you are! We've had great weather here in Bristol until today...the rain and cooler temps are back. And my friend from back home just called to tell me they are having a heat wave in San Francisco!!!!!! :crying:

Feb 05 - met on match.com, spoke daily over Skype

Mar 05 - boy flew out to San Francisco to meet me, it was love at first site!

May 05 - I flew to Bristol, first time ever in England!

Sept 05 - boy flew back to SF, we got married!

Nov 05 - boy flew to SF for 2 week visit

Feb 06 - I moved with my dog to Bristol

4 visits home for 2 weeks at a time during these 2 years

(very homesick and not happy living in England)

April 2nd - I-130 & G325a sent! DCF process begins!

April 4th - Credit card charged!

April 5th - Email confirming file date of 4/4/08

June 21st - RFE for affidavits...bummer.

July 8th - sent affidavits back to Embassy

June 16th - Received NOA2!! Yay!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

MEXICAN!!!

I have tried in vain more times than I can remember to schlep my boy off to one Mexican or other masqurading as 'authentic'. The most I have got for my troubles is 'it's ok, i like my Mexican food from a cart in a parking lot'.

Course the flip side is, as soon as he gets back to all the things he misses, I start missing things.. :crying:

will defo get me on of them thar Thomas guides. I spend most of my days poring over the google maps as it is :whistle:

The UK Wiki

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.