• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*hugs everyone here*

We've got NOA2!!! *is sooooo happy*

Congrats!!! Happy for both of you!!!!

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

Congrats Mark and Hannah!

Debbie & Barry

K-1 Timeline:

10-29-2007 Sent I 129-F to CSC

10-31-2007 I 129-F received CSC 9:48 AM

11-02-2007 NOA-1

11-07-2007 check cashed!

11-09-2007 NOA-1 hard copy received

3-11-08 RFE

3-17-08 RFE received by mail

3-22-08 RFE reply sent from England

4-09-08 RFE received CSC case resumed

4-18-08 NOA2 by email (after 172 days)

4-24-08 NOA2 hard copy

5-01-08 NVC received

5-02-08 case forwarded to US Embassy London

5-07-08 received by London Embassy

5-08-08 Packet 3 sent from Embassy

5-15-08 Packet 3 mailed recorded delivery

5-21-08 Packet 3 received US Embassy London

6-02-08 Medical

6-13-08 packet 4 received

7-01-08 Interview London Embassy Approved!

7-04-08 Visa in hand! hurray!

7-13-08 POE Cleveland, OH

9-23-08 (AOS package sent)

9-29-08 NOA received I-485, I-131, I-765

10-21-08 biometrics appt

12-12-08 EAD and AP received by mail!

2-04-2009 AOS approved!

2-12-2009 card received

11-05-2010 I-751 mailed to CSC

11-08-2010 received CS, NOA1 date

12-20-10 biometrics

02-09-11 ROC approved

02-14-11 Greencard received!

I have written 250 words, so I deserve a break. Or so says me. Anyway, I have a question for you UK VJ folk...

A family friend just dropped by to visit. As he walked in the dining room, where I'm working at the moment, he asked what I was doing. I said, "I'm at the coalface." He looked at me quizzically and said, "At the coalface? What does that mean?" I said it meant I was working, dealing with problems up close, etc. He had never heard this phrase before, and my mom swore it was a British idiom. Is it? Do Americans say "at the coalface"?

I have a lot of these moments, where I have no idea of whether people understand what I'm talking about. It's really rather embarrassing, what with me being American and whatnot.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I have written 250 words, so I deserve a break. Or so says me. Anyway, I have a question for you UK VJ folk...

A family friend just dropped by to visit. As he walked in the dining room, where I'm working at the moment, he asked what I was doing. I said, "I'm at the coalface." He looked at me quizzically and said, "At the coalface? What does that mean?" I said it meant I was working, dealing with problems up close, etc. He had never heard this phrase before, and my mom swore it was a British idiom. Is it? Do Americans say "at the coalface"?

I have a lot of these moments, where I have no idea of whether people understand what I'm talking about. It's really rather embarrassing, what with me being American and whatnot.

I've heard of it but that might have something to do with coming from 'oop north'. Someone may prove me wrong but I've a feeling it might be more of a northern saying so anyone from the south may not have heard it.

Gillian

Edited by English Muffin

Filed: Timeline

Never heard it in London (or America). It actually sounds racist... :unsure:

I always thought it was a Britishism in the way that you were using it. I could be completely wrong, but I always thought it was related to the coal mining culture up North (people who "do" things rather than think about them abstractly or whatever).

I think I have heard it here but as a racist term

90day.jpg

Never heard it in London (or America). It actually sounds racist... :unsure:

Racist? It never would have occurred to me. It means that you are not just faffing about in the office or an ivory tower but really down there in the trenches, in the coal mine, as it were. It may be something that is particular to working in the City -- I heard it a LOT, mostly by people who were stuck in an office but thinking otherwise...

Hmmm...going off to ask Bruce what he thinks about this. (He will tell me to go back to work, at the coalface or wherever.)

Edited by elmcitymaven

Filed: Timeline

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/at+the+coalface

at the coalface (British & Australian)

someone who is at the coalface is doing the work involved in a job, not talking about it, planning it, or controlling it. You sit in your office looking at consultants' reports, but it's the men and women at the coalface who really understand the business.

---

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=coal+face

:blink:

See, this is my problem -- from the context, I would think it would be very clear that I am using some sort of strange idiom, and not making racial slurs. If I left out the "at the" in the phrase and inserted "a", there could be some argument that I was, even accidentally.

Just consulted with Mr. Bruce -- blackface was done primarily with burnt cork or shoe polish. I can understand the confusion, but no offence to anyone was meant!

I have never heard anyone described as a "coal face" -- just looked at the urban dictionary link there. Huh.

Edited by elmcitymaven

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I have heard that used MANY times - I would have guessed in the UK as well, but definitely in Australia... and have NEVER heard, or even thought, of it being racist :blink:

in teaching, it often gets morphed into 'chalkface', for obvious reasons ;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Timeline

and I have to say, seeing it as a racist term strikes me as thoughtlessly kneejerk (tautology? ;) ) - rather like making a fuss about 'niggardly' :wacko:

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I have heard that used MANY times - I would have guessed in the UK as well, but definitely in Australia... and have NEVER heard, or even thought, of it being racist :blink:

in teaching, it often gets morphed into 'chalkface', for obvious reasons ;)

One of my uncles married a woman from up north... and I've heard this expression often, as well as the chalkface variant, although that is used less now that wipeboards have mostly replaced chalkboards (blackboards in the days before political correctness).

And I think people worry too much about being politically correct - making everyone stress about accidentally saying something that might possibly be misconstrued does absolutely nothing to address actual racism. I had a guy accuse me of being racist once purely because I turned him down... which was due to the fact that I disliked his personality quite intensely (he was always being unkind to one of my friends) and had nothing to do with his skin colour or anything else about the way he looked physically.

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Timeline

oh, it used to drive me NUTS when kids at school would say 'it's because I'm black' when they got in trouble for doing some damn fool thing :angry:

I had a few responses...

1. 'Why are you being rude? is it because I'm white?' :lol:

2. 'Are you accusing me of being racist? that's a very serious matter... I think we should take that to the head teacher right now' (surprisingly enough, they never wanted to do this ;) )

3. *mutely point to another child - not black - who was in trouble for the same thing*

your point about 'making everyone stress about accidentally saying something that might possibly be misconstrued does absolutely nothing to address actual racism' is spot on :thumbs:

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.