Jenn!

American Idol 2008

996 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

For me, Carly was the best! She rocked it our big time! I also liked David C. and Syesha (I can't believe it!)

David A. is not good. Seriously. Brooke was terrible and Jason was OK. I think Brooke will go, but would love to see David A. go even more. I think its pathetic the way the judges are pimping him. He can only sing ballads and even then, not very well. He bores me to tears. If he wins it will be another Idol gone wrong. There is NO WAY that kid can sell millions of records. It will be Taylor Hicks, part II.

Edited by julezabelle

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So many people I know keep saying how not good David A. is. I really honestly think he's excellent, and a fantastic vocalist. It makes me wonder whether the dislike is more due to his popularity than anything specific about him.

Filed: Timeline
So many people I know keep saying how not good David A. is. I really honestly think he's excellent, and a fantastic vocalist. It makes me wonder whether the dislike is more due to his popularity than anything specific about him.

I wonder that too. I think he should win this hands down.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

carly kicked @ss, I don't know why the judges said she wasn't that good..

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I guess it just comes down to different strokes for different folks. I find his performances to be exceptionally boring and I could never in a million years see myself purchasing a record of his. I'm not saying he has a terrible voice, but its just not "all that" for me. *shrugs*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I like David A. I just think that he sings one kind of song....no umph in his performances. But he has a good voice. I have yet to be wowed by his performances, but he consistently sings the same way.

My favorite was Syesha.

I think Brooke is going home.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree that Brooke was bad, but Jason was worse. I think last nights performance finally showcased just how lacking in talent he is.

Although we don't all agree, I liked the way that David A made the song his own. I think if he would have stuck to the original version I would have been disappointed. He blew me away.

David C on the other hand, I thought he would have twisted the song to make it more rock, to suit his voice. I was pleasantly surprised that he stuck to the original version. This does show me that he can indeed have variety. Well done!

Sayesha was good, and so was Carly. Not enough to wow me however.

I vote for Jason to go tonight, but I doubt he will. He has way to many fans in comparison to Brooke. I am getting tired of Brooke's pouty face when the judges are being critical. She always seems ready to cry at a drop of a hat. Not good if she is in the public eye constantly being scrutinized.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

i think it will be brooke or jason going home, as well...

i thought syesha did great... she seemed to be the one who had the most fun with it

as far as david a goes, there is just something about his voice that is off for me... its almost like he is singing while muffled... something blocking his voice from really coming through... and he just doesnt emote anything but melancholy... its just not what i want to hear or see... but then, ive felt that way from the start... its just hard to find the words to describe it... technically, he sings well... and the teeny boppers and most mommas are going to love him... but i can definitely see why there are other groups of ppl who just dont get him

and to address brooke starting and stopping... i have to agree with simon and randy... i think she did the right thing by doing that... i dont want someone to bluff their way through it... if you screw up, admit it and make it right... if she had just kept going, she would still get ####### for messing up... at least what she did seems more honest and respectful of the listeners

"True love is falling in love with your best friend,

and only then, will you find the meaning of happiness."

tony_1.gif

Timeline

I was reading the EW recap and they mentioned how David A. flubbed his lyrics on the second verse. I have to say I didn't notice at all! (apparently the cameras cut away from him when it happened - distraction) Impossible *not* to notice Brooke's screwup though, which is why I agree with Paula, in general, that you should try to push through. I feel for Brooke though, as I've been in that position, and I think by instinct you just want to start over again.

I was reading the EW recap and they mentioned how David A. flubbed his lyrics on the second verse. I have to say I didn't notice at all! (apparently the cameras cut away from him when it happened - distraction) Impossible *not* to notice Brooke's screwup though, which is why I agree with Paula, in general, that you should try to push through. I feel for Brooke though, as I've been in that position, and I think by instinct you just want to start over again.

the difference is, she goofed right off the bat... no way to hide that...

if you flub in the middle, it can be lost between good parts... if you goof in the beginning or a the very end there is nothing to distract from it

to each their own

"True love is falling in love with your best friend,

and only then, will you find the meaning of happiness."

tony_1.gif

Timeline

I thought this was a funny (albeit harsh) recap:

American Idol Week Nine: Broadway Week Sucks Majestically

Posted by Tom Breihan at 2:51 PM, April 23, 2008

It had to come to this. It's almost a dirty secret for American Idol that former contestants are way more likely to find a second life on Broadway than they are to become honest-to-God pop-stars. For plenty of this season's early eliminations, the show was obviously just a stopgap on the way to being a name at the top of one of those subway posters. Broadway musical producers seem to look at the show as a farm-league even more than Nashville studio execs do. And so this week, the show came just shy of acknowledging its Broadway ties by recruiting giggling toffy frog-man Andrew Lloyd Webber as this week's guest-mentor. As someone who's successfully avoided ever seen an Andrew Lloyd Webber play, this was not a good week for me. The standard Idol quavery saccharine ballads were already broad and hammy enough, you know? Do we need to see these poor kids leaning any harder on their stage-smiles? Syesha Mercado, for one, bought into the exercise wholeheartedly. At the beginning of the show, she listed her occupation as actress, even though her acting experience apparently consisted of one line in a cheesed-out Florida lottery commercial. But her "One Rock 'n Roll Too Many" was a straight-up Broadway audition, a bid for niche-market acceptance even more naked than Phil Stacey's asskissy performance during country week last year. Also gunning hard for that Broadway money, weirdly, was David Cook, previously the show's resident rock dude. His inner drama-nerd came out swinging last night on an eerily poised rendition of "Music of the Night," and he didn't even do one of those wobbly Layne Staley gurgle-yowls. #### creeped me out.

For some reason, this was also the week everyone forgot their words. I didn't notice Carly Smithson losing her way, but apparently it happened. It was pretty impossible not to notice Brooke White's fuckup, though. She started the song, froze, asked the band to start over, and then finished up her "You Must Love Me" looking totally shaken and dead inside. Last week, I called Brooke this show's Cat Power; the more she projects her wilting wallflower image, the more protective the show's voters get. Since every one of my results-show predictions has turned out wrong, I'm not going to precog her exit, but I will say that if she does go home, it'll be because she pushed that vulnerability thing way too far. Even Paula visibly struggled to find anything nice to say. The judges remained all over David Archuleta's #######, even though he shanked his lyrics almost as hard. He didn't actually stop the song, though; he just sort of inaudibly mumbled for a couple of lines. Nobody pointed it out, and I'm wondering whether Randy Jackson is just so afraid of getting booed that nothing could make him really go in on this kid. It doesn't even really bother me that Archuleta forgot his words as much as it does that he's pretty much sung the exact same song every single week on this show. Time pretty much stops when he walks on; those godawful dull two-minute warble-fests just stretch on into infinity. I can't believe he's winning this ####. David Archuleta is boring and he sucks and I hate him.

Jason Castro also does the same thing pretty much every week; that thing just doesn't suck as mightily as David Archuleta's thing. The judges really didn't like his attempt at turning "Memory" into whispery hacky-sack fare, but as someone who's never heard the grand-dame diva version, I didn't hate it. The best performance of the night, though, came from Carly Smithson, who totally just screamed the paint off the ceiling on "Jesus Christ Superstar" and who benefitted from being the only one to sing a track that even halfway works as a pop song. As unfair as it is that someone who's already released a tremendous flop of a major-label album should get a second chance on this show, I'm starting to think that Carly might be the only one who might actually release some halfway-decent music once the season ends. In any case, she's the only reason not to pretend this week never happened. Here's hoping Neil Diamond week tuns out better.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/statusaintho...n_idol_w_10.php

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess it just comes down to different strokes for different folks. I find his performances to be exceptionally boring and I could never in a million years see myself purchasing a record of his. I'm not saying he has a terrible voice, but its just not "all that" for me. *shrugs*

I am in 100% agreement with you. When I am watching AI and trying to decide my preferences, what is always running through my head is "would I ever buy a CD made by this person in real life after AI?" David A. has a good voice, there's no question about that, but I would never ever buy a CD with just his singing. He's too much of a one-trick pony, and it's wearing thin with me.

The reason why I enjoy David C. so much is that he re-interprets songs that I would never ever listen to on a consistent basis into something I would listen to and enjoy. Mariah Carey drives me absolutely nuts, but I actually enjoyed listening to his version of her song last week. And the Lionel Richie song? Lord love a duck that was fantastic! I'm never bored with his performances.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.