American Idol 2008

996 posts in this topic

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I liked Jason Castro tonight. I never liked him but the song I LOVE...99 points from me. David Cook was better..didn't like him either but he really worked it out. David A. was still good..he's gonna make it to the next round. Can't wait for Amanda tomorrow :wacko:

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My picks:

1. David Cook -- awesome arrangement to that song -- it's the first time this season I have wanted a contestant to keep singing!

2. Jason Castro -- I'm with Simon, Jeff Buckley's version is one of my favourite songs ever, and Jason did justice to it

3. Michael Johns -- great song choice!

distant fourth: David Archuleta -- Simon is right, he's getting a bit on the dreary side -- the kid is a teenager! show you can have some fun!

The rest can go fly kites as far as I am concerned.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

1. David Cook - I'm gonna download this today. I liked it better than the original. I hope it was really his arrangement and he wasn't just stealing off someone else's cover. I was blown away!

2. Jason Castro - That song is one of my favorites ever. And I really feel the emotion when he's singing. Plus he's nice to look at.

3. David Archuleta - The criticism about the dreariness was spot on. I'm not worried - he'll pick that up and run with it.

4. Chikezie - I think he's a great vocalist but he's got the cheese too

5. David Hernandez - I kept picturing him stripping while he was performing

6. Michael Johns - still not my fave but he deserves a spot in the top 12

7. Luke - cheeeeeeeeeeez

8. Danny - what was that monstrosity!?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

EW's recap ("The guys' best night yet"):

When you're wrong, you're wrong. And wow, did I ever prove that point when, back on Feb. 20, I got all huffy and argued that only three or four of American Idol's male semifinalists deserved a spot in the season 7 finals. And to put an exclamation point on my error, I argued that ''Rocker'' Robbie Carrico was among the worthy contenders!

Now, here we are two weeks later — and less than 48 hours from the announcement of this year's top 12 — and seven of the eight men left in the competition have made at least a somewhat compelling case that no, their journeys should not end with a torrent of tears from Ramiele Malubay and a dream-crushing insult from Simon come Thursday evening.

That's how the game is played, though, and if a single painful elimination is the price we have to pay for an unexpectedly high number of above-average male vocalists, then so be it. Look at the bright side: At least one exit-show performance this week won't have you frantically trying to locate the fast-forward button on your DVR.

So who should be resting easy this week, and who's at risk? I'd bet every cent in my bank account on the safety of three contestants in particular, and since I can't bear to lead off (again!) writing about a certain contestant who's been sucking the buzz out of the room as he makes his inevitable march toward a confetti-and-glitter-strewn Kodak Theatre, let's start by heaping the praise on his polar opposite in the competition.

Okay, you're right, that description actually fits Amanda Overmyer.

But you've got to admit, Jason Castro also resides on the opposite end of the musical spectrum from the Snuggle bear, and tonight, his rendition of ''Hallelujah'' was one of those transcendent Idol performances that we'll still be discussing come season 9 or 10. To be completely fair, the dreadlocked dude's vocals weren't without a couple of glitches — did you catch that goofy hint of a smile as he botched the closing note? — but what made his performance great wasn't just the ''phrasing'' (as Paula claimed) but the way Jason made every single word of Leonard Cohen's lyric mean something. I could almost imagine the music supervisors from Ugly Betty and Grey's Anatomy getting into a bidding war to snag Jason's ''Hallelujah'' for their next end-of-episode montage. It was that good. And the guy's amusingly bewildered interview persona is a sweet oasis in a desert of exceedingly lame clip packages.

But Jason won't be the only guitar-playing contestant advancing to the finals this week, thanks to a thrillingly inventive cover of Lionel Richie's ''Hello'' by my new favorite emo band, David Cook and His Awful Hair. I won't lie, I shuddered involuntarily when Ryan first announced that Rocker David was tackling a ballad that invariably gives me flashbacks to that video where the blind woman sculpts a bust of Lionel's head. But all that '80s awfulness/awesomeness disappeared with Rocker David's first guitar chord, and while I'm not convinced he's the second coming of Daughtry, I'll say this much: I bet if Nigel Lythgoe saddled Rocker David with a stinker like ''This Is My Now'' or ''Do I Make You Proud,'' he'd find a way to make it not awful.

As for the third Thursday-night shoo-in — tween audience members please get ready to let out an inhuman squeal — put your hands together for ''Little'' David Archuleta! What's that? You weren't feeling quite as rapturous over the kid's ''Another Day in Paradise'' as you were about last week's ''Imagine''? Well, that may have a little to do with the fact that while Phil Collins' chart-topping ballad does indeed ''bring attention to the people of the world who have nothing'' (as Little David noted), it's also a dreary gob of muck. And although Little David's vocal wasn't quite as strong this time either — was anyone else distracted by the way the kid kept licking his lips every 15 seconds or so? — the piano playing was a nice touch, and as Paula sagely noted (in a night otherwise marked by her utter incoherence), it's good to see he's not a hologram. You'll have to forgive me, but I also agreed with Randy: The kid gives off the vibe that you're not watching a televised talent competition but rather are one of the lucky folks who got through to Ticketmaster and snagged a seat at his sold-out concert.

So if we assume I'm right about Jason, Rocker, and Little David, that leaves five additional men competing for just three spots in the finals. And while I'd put him in my personal bottom three tonight, rest assured that the scads of screen time and loving camera angles that come from being a producer favorite mean Michael Johns will be sailing through to next week's mixed-gender performance. Unless they were reading off Nigel Lythgoe's cue cards, I'm not entirely sure why Randy and Paula appeared to be so excited about Michael's take on ''Don't You (Forget About Me),'' but the Aussie dude sounded to me like he was suffering from nasal congestion, and once again, he failed to really do anything other than offer a straightforward karaoke rendition of a classic. (Side note: Did Randy seem to think the Breakfast Club soundtrack staple was sung by INXS?)

On the flip side, I have a terrible sinking feeling that one of my top four contestants on the men's side — David Hernandez — might not have ''100 percent secured [his] place in the finals,'' as Simon argued at the end of David's occasionally rocky but still bold and still potent performance of ''It's All Coming Back to Me Now.'' Yes, a lot of my fear is based on the Associated Press story that confirmed the rumors that David H. once worked as a stripper — a career choice that (a) has nothing to do with his performances on the Idol stage; (B) in no way makes him a ''bad person'' or unfit to land a major-label record deal; and © reminds me how unfair it was that Frenchie Davis never got the chance to break up the Ruben-Clay party that was season 2. But it's not just that. Every Idol fan knows the top 12 announcement always contains a shocker, and it often is the ouster of a good-looking, extremely talented vocalist who hasn't scored a lot of screen time, and isn't as inherently charismatic/zany/likable/sassy as a few of his or her rivals. Here's hoping that the part of me that fears for David H. is the same part that's still in mourning from Sabrina Sloan's early exit last season, but that interview clip about his experience with a ''walnut-sized'' booger was not exactly a star-making turn.

And then there were three. And let us assume, hope, and pray that of that trio, Luke Menard will not receive nearly enough votes to threaten the Idol aspirations of either Chikezie or Danny Noriega. I mean, come on, voting for Luke is like going into a restaurant and saying, ''Hello, I'd like a milquetoast on melba, hold all the condiments!'' As the a cappella wonder launched into his exceedingly lame rendition of ''Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go'' tonight, I realized he's the one contestant in the competition who was born for those heinous results-night group performances. And for those of you who think Simon was too mean for calling the performance ''weak and a bit girly,'' let me make this confession. As Luke was performing tonight, I jotted this fleeting thought onto my notepad: ''on the high notes — voice like a small girl's whisper.''

If justice not only prevails but absolutely rules on Thursday, the bottom three will be rounded out by Chikezie and Danny Noriega, and here's where this column gets a little tricky for me. Do I root for the guy who's a little bit boring, who gravitates toward not terribly exciting songs, but who is a technically proficient singer? Or do I root for the teenager who needs a humble pie launched directly at his face, who gets a little rough on the notes that fall outside his limited comfort zone, but who performs with copious amounts of sass and panache? I'm not sure it matters that much.

I can't really see Chikezie going all the way, considering he got upstaged by his belt buckle tonight. Plus, it's week 3 of the semifinals, and already he's repeating ''All the Woman I Need,'' the track he sang at his audition? (Yeah, he did sing it pretty strongly, though.)

As for Danny, well, yeah, he's definitely TMTH, and if this were America's Next Top Guest Cohost for The View, I might end up speed-dialing on his behalf. (That ''Mmm-hmmm'' response to Ryan's feigned obliviousness about the purple streaks in his hair was the funniest thing I've seen on TV in weeks.) But while his ''Tainted Love'' was jauntily arranged and decently sung, he has yet to give a vocal performance I'd even think about downloading.

If I had to place a bet, I'd guess it'll be Luke and Chikezie who'll fall just short of the finals. But then again, what do I know? Remember: Fourteen days ago, I was the chump who was pimping for Robbie Carrico.

Who do you think deserves to get the ax on Thursday? And are those the same two guys you suspect will be eliminated? Did you notice how the judges' mikes seemed to be turned on early tonight, before the performers had barely finished their numbers? And what was with Denise Richards and her sad-stunned expression from the audience? Scary!

I thought David Cook rocked last night!

I wasn't too keen about David Archuleta's performance. He has a good voice but he needs to start showing a bit more versatility.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

LOL, I haven't looked at them yet because I'm at work. So...not so "racy", huh?

Guess it depends on how someone defines racy. I've always thought of it to mean as something that's very provocative. I only saw one pic and they were all fully clothed. However, Ramiele's hand is on another girl's body part and it wasn't even a provocative pose. :)

They need to spice it up a bit! :lol:;)

How come I couldn't see that picture? :crying::crying::crying:

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

How come I couldn't see that picture? :crying::crying::crying:

Try this link.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

asia'h did well, but it was a bit karaoke

kady just needs to go home... shes pitchy and boring... she thinks shes better than she is

amanda came back with a vengeance... i like her... her performance last week was bad, but shes back

carly looks better... i like her... she sings very well... i wish she was more exciting to watch

my first half opinion, lol

"True love is falling in love with your best friend,

and only then, will you find the meaning of happiness."

tony_1.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok Ramiele is up now, everybody be quite...

04/01/2007: Met online

08/24/2007: First trip to the Philippines. 09/11/2007: Left Philippines...sad day

09/13/2007: Gathering info for I-129F

09/22/2007: Mailed I-129F. 09/26/2007: Delivery confirmation of I-129F

09/27/2007: NOA1 Notice Date

10/01/2007: I-129F Check Cashed

10/02/2007: Touched

10/04/2007: NOA1 received in the mail

10/23/2007: Second visit to Philippines

01/11/2008: NOA2 Approved!

01/14/2008: Touched

01/15/2008: Petition arrived NVC. 01/17/2008: Petition left NVC

01/18/2008: Date on NVC letter

01/18/2008: NOA2 Received in Mail

01/22/2008: Petition arrived in Manila @ 10:53 a.m., Signed for by Grace

01/22/2008: NVC letter arrived in the mail

01/24/2008: Found medical and interview dates on embassy web site

02/04/2008: Packet 4 received

03/04/2008: Medical Exam @ 6:30 AM

03/08/2008: Third trip to Philippines

03/13/2008: Interview @ 6:30 AM...APPROVED!!!

03/13/2008: CFO Seminar in Manila

03/17/2008: Visa released to Delbros

03/18/2008: Visa delivered to our hotel in Manila by Delbros @ 8:30 AM

03/19/2008: We fly home! POE Guam

04/10/2008: Applied for Social Security card

04/14/2008: Applied for marriage license

04/15/2008: Received Marriage license

04/17/2008: Received Social Security card

04/21/2008: Married!

05/01/2008: Applied for name change on Social Security card

05/15/2008: Pregnant!

05/25/2008: Mailed AOS

01/08/2009: AOS Approved!

01/16/2009: Green card arrived

01/20/2009: Our baby is born!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hmm...I think Ramiele could have done better. Bad song choice. Several of the songs tonight were not great. Anybody know who picks the songs? Do they pick them themselves?

04/01/2007: Met online

08/24/2007: First trip to the Philippines. 09/11/2007: Left Philippines...sad day

09/13/2007: Gathering info for I-129F

09/22/2007: Mailed I-129F. 09/26/2007: Delivery confirmation of I-129F

09/27/2007: NOA1 Notice Date

10/01/2007: I-129F Check Cashed

10/02/2007: Touched

10/04/2007: NOA1 received in the mail

10/23/2007: Second visit to Philippines

01/11/2008: NOA2 Approved!

01/14/2008: Touched

01/15/2008: Petition arrived NVC. 01/17/2008: Petition left NVC

01/18/2008: Date on NVC letter

01/18/2008: NOA2 Received in Mail

01/22/2008: Petition arrived in Manila @ 10:53 a.m., Signed for by Grace

01/22/2008: NVC letter arrived in the mail

01/24/2008: Found medical and interview dates on embassy web site

02/04/2008: Packet 4 received

03/04/2008: Medical Exam @ 6:30 AM

03/08/2008: Third trip to Philippines

03/13/2008: Interview @ 6:30 AM...APPROVED!!!

03/13/2008: CFO Seminar in Manila

03/17/2008: Visa released to Delbros

03/18/2008: Visa delivered to our hotel in Manila by Delbros @ 8:30 AM

03/19/2008: We fly home! POE Guam

04/10/2008: Applied for Social Security card

04/14/2008: Applied for marriage license

04/15/2008: Received Marriage license

04/17/2008: Received Social Security card

04/21/2008: Married!

05/01/2008: Applied for name change on Social Security card

05/15/2008: Pregnant!

05/25/2008: Mailed AOS

01/08/2009: AOS Approved!

01/16/2009: Green card arrived

01/20/2009: Our baby is born!

from what i understand they pick them from a list of available songs from the theme of the week

ok, second half:

kristy tried hard, but it just wasnt good enough

ramiele could have done better, i was a little disappointed

brooke was awesome... i really liked her

syesha nailed it

"True love is falling in love with your best friend,

and only then, will you find the meaning of happiness."

tony_1.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Here are my picks for tonight:

1. Carly Smithson (she is very quickly becoming a favorite)

2. Brooke White (I like her performance, going acousitic was good)

3. Amanda Overmeyer (I was hoping she would leave last week but she did good today, I was impressed)

4. Syesha Mercado (I liked how she sung the song)

5. Ramiele Malubay (I like her, her singing tonight was so-so)

6. Asia'h Epperson (I like her, but that song was not a good one for her)

7. Kristy Lee Cook (I don't even remember what she sung)

8. Kady Malloy (she's going home, she is the weakest compared to the other girls)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Brooke White, Tonight! :)

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG