brownnskinn

Let's Get Great in 2008

481 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ok here are some class descriptions for yoga in our area...I took them from a handful of different websites for yoga studios around here...this is the religious stuff I was talking about...

Women's Yoga

Awaken, embrace and celebrate the goddess within you. This nurturing class will reduce stress while creating strength, flexibility and balance. Our focus will be on your well-being and women's health issues at various stages of life. This healing yoga practice embraces all aspects of yoga and emphasizes not only female health, but empowerment.

Come and explore this ancient yet spiritually relevant text – a Divine love song – given to all spiritual seekers. This interactive workshop will examine the Gita from various philosophical perspectives, including the Anusara principles of Attitude, Alignment, and Action. We will consider their application to the Yoga of Devotion, Knowledge, and Karma, as we imbibe from the Gita's wisdom and express its essence in asanas as well.

The Yoga Sutras by Patanjali have been both appreciated and underrated within the Yoga community. They have been primarily presented from a male perspective, even though the flowering of yoga is often due to many dedicated yoginis. Using Nischala Joy Devi's The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras, and Alberto Villoldo's Yoga Power, and Spirit: Patanjali the Shaman, we will explore and experience this ancient gem from a feminine perspective, imbibing from the font of the Sutra's timeless wisdom. See what suggestions this text offers for our practice. Men are welcome as well!

Beginner Yoga

Learn about the underlying energy currents that feed the chakras, what causes blockages, how to use the chakra system for diagnosis and treatment of energetic imbalances, and much more that make the chakras intelligible and useful as a map for life's journey to consciousness.

In the eastern traditions, it's said that karma is the most powerful force in our lives. Our pleasure and pain, our character, the way our mind works, and even our ability to practice yoga are said to be the results of karma. Yet, contrary to popular lore, karma is never fixed. Our karmas are fluid, and the more we understand how to work with the force of karma, the more we are able to turn difficult situations into blessings.

Yoga is a vigorous, flowing practice where traditional asanas are linked creatively but sensitively. Each class has a specific physical and spiritual focus and explores pranayama, meditation, and yogic philosophy. Inspiring music, perceptive hands-on assists, and deep relaxation (savasana) help to keep this challenging practice restorative and playful.

Yoga is an ancient technology which incorporates breathing, yoga postures, mantras, mudras and meditations. These five components are used in specific combinations or sequences called Kriyas. Kriyas enable the creative energy (Kundalini) to flow and circulate up the spine. Through this process the body, mind and spirit are brought together in an integrated experience of the universal self.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I've been going to the gym every week day morning for two years and I am still fat :angry: Damn meds I am on are a killer for loosing weight :unsure:

What are u taking? What kind of work out do you do.

I do cardio for about 35 minutes and then do weights for 25 to 30 but primarily for toning.

Do your clothes fit differently? I'm no expert, but my guess would be you need to step up the Cardo. Your probably building muscle with those weights.

Building muscle will make you feel great and will boost your metabolism rate which equals more burned calories. Weight training is not only good for building muscle and burning fat (weight training can actually burn more fat than aerobic exercises) but is also great to keep your bones and joints healthy. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to all in '08. :thumbs:

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I can do great with healthy food and I make a mean smoothie! LOL

what do you use in your smoothie?

Hey all do you chew gum to help ward off cravings? If so beware. I happen to chew a lot of it. Thank goodness I have been breaking the sicks in two.

Beware of sorbitol

if the link dosen't work go here:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20080110/sw...-case-histories

This is crazy! They were just promoting on Biggest Loser to chew gum when you feel like snacking. Why did I just open my file drawer to look at the label on my Extra gum right now. It didn't list the ingrediants :wacko:

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline
I weighed in today and have lost 9lbs by just drinking more water and not eating when I get home from work, which is after 8pm. I plan to start WW with my co-workers. I work all kinds of crazy hours that wreak havoc on my system and I also have poor eating habits. I usually eat only one time a day and snack throughout. Bad for me but i plan to change that bad habit with the support I know I will get here. Thank you all.

OMG!!!!! Congrats :dance::jest: :energetic: :dancing:

In one Week?

I work crazy hours too, What I do is I have a protien shake in the mornings when I work the night before. I hate to eat, then go to sleep.

I used to do protein shakes too. Muscle Milk is really good!!! Especially the Vanilla one, mix with half a banana and soy milk and it will keep you full til lunch. Just know that protein shakes have a freakishly high amount of calories so if you are not on a workout regimine then its just empty calories instead of energy enhancing ones.

Timeline
Guys I wanted to apologize for posting here about my boring exam..I just realized it...sorry ..still love oonuh..just no want disrupt the flow u know

No worries at all Kimmy!

Well I really need to stop weighing myself throughout the week. I know weight fluctuates during the day and such so I weigh myself and I am up almost a pound and it puts me in a funk but there are so many variables that it really isn't accurate...I need to stop doing that!

Thanks for the yoga poses Dee :)

I have another question for you...for those that are Christian/religious...do you ever have stuff in your yoga/pilates class that goes against your beliefs? Not sure how to word this but...I know around here we live in a very liberal, non religious area (lots of pagan/new age stuff) and I have heard about classes delving pretty deep into the karma, chakra, chi, energy type of things. One girl was telling me that they "invoke their inner goddess" at all her pilates classes. :blink: I just don't want to deal with that at a yoga/pilates class. Have you guys ever run into anything?

Well I am Christian and I do yoga. They talk that stuff in most yoga classes cause thats what yoga is about. However, I just choose to focus on what I want to focus on. In all things, if you give the glory to God and know it is Him that these things are possible and not this "inner self", then you do good by glorifying Christ and letting it be known that He controls your life and you don't.

The Chi in you can be Christ...you chakra can come from the Holy Spirit....it all just depends on what you praise as the center of your life and being.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks Dee and Marlita! I just don't want to go to a class where all that stuff is being "shoved down my throat" and there is obvious religious stuff going on (chanting, invocation etc). Seems like around here I am going to have to do my research and determine which studios/gyms focus more on the workout versus the spiritual stuff. Thanks for your inputs/experience.

Edited by Yardiewife

Filed: Other Timeline
I can do great with healthy food and I make a mean smoothie! LOL

what do you use in your smoothie?

Hey all do you chew gum to help ward off cravings? If so beware. I happen to chew a lot of it. Thank goodness I have been breaking the sicks in two.

Beware of sorbitol

if the link dosen't work go here:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20080110/sw...-case-histories

This is crazy! They were just promoting on Biggest Loser to chew gum when you feel like snacking. Why did I just open my file drawer to look at the label on my Extra gum right now. It didn't list the ingrediants :wacko:

I was chewing extra gum when I read it at first, I stopped to take a look at the package to find , might of been second ingrediant....sorbatial...all in moderation I guess.

Thanks Dee and Marlita! I just don't want to go to a class where all that stuff is being "shoved down my throat" and there is obvious religious stuff going on (chanting, invocation etc). Seems like around here I am going to have to do my research and determine which studios/gyms focus more on the workout versus the spiritual stuff. Thanks for your inputs/experience.

Jamie I think your thinking too much into it. You'll be fine. It won't help to check a class out, I'm sure they won't force anything on you.

Well I am Christian and I do yoga. They talk that stuff in most yoga classes cause thats what yoga is about. However, I just choose to focus on what I want to focus on. In all things, if you give the glory to God and know it is Him that these things are possible and not this "inner self", then you do good by glorifying Christ and letting it be known that He controls your life and you don't.

The Chi in you can be Christ...you chakra can come from the Holy Spirit....it all just depends on what you praise as the center of your life and being.

Soo true!

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

I used to do protein shakes too. Muscle Milk is really good!!! Especially the Vanilla one, mix with half a banana and soy milk and it will keep you full til lunch. Just know that protein shakes have a freakishly high amount of calories so if you are not on a workout regimine then its just empty calories instead of energy enhancing ones.

I occasionally drink the Muscle Milk too! I get it from a local GNC store. My reason for opting for it is the protein, for muscle mass, but it does fill you up pretty well! Another product I'd recommend is BodyFortress brand chocolate-flavored whey protein regularly. 100g of protein with my workout (boxing/kickboxing) seems to be a good thing. This stuff is only $12-$14 for a 2-lb can at most Shopko or Target stores. Proceed with some caution, though; some people don't react well to whey.

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

I weighed in today and have lost 9lbs by just drinking more water and not eating when I get home from work, which is after 8pm. I plan to start WW with my co-workers. I work all kinds of crazy hours that wreak havoc on my system and I also have poor eating habits. I usually eat only one time a day and snack throughout. Bad for me but i plan to change that bad habit with the support I know I will get here. Thank you all.

In one Week?

I work crazy hours too, What I do is I have a protien shake in the mornings when I work the night before. I hate to eat, then go to sleep.

There's this guy at work who lost a lot of weight with this muscle mik...I haven't tried it but was thinking about picking some up just a while ago when I saw it in the store, maybe I'll try it.

I usually only do home made protein shakes, with fresh or frozen fruit, not many calories, 110 cal per scoop. Slimfast protein shake only has 190 cal.

Timeline

In one Week?

There's this guy at work who lost a lot of weight with this muscle mik...I haven't tried it but was thinking about picking some up just a while ago when I saw it in the store, maybe I'll try it.

I usually only do home made protein shakes, with fresh or frozen fruit, not many calories, 110 cal per scoop. Slimfast protein shake only has 190 cal.

One thing to remember about the fruit smoothies is that fruit breaks down into sugar. So with fruit smoothies you aren't getting protein your just getting a daily alotment of fruit and lots of sugar along with it. These protein shakes are like the equivalent of eating a steak or beans or fish.....you know...something really high in protein. So they can be very good for a workout in helping to build mass and toning muscles. Remember that crazy diet where people were eating all protein and no carbs, and they were losing all this weight, well these shakes are kinda like that, except it has carbs in it too to give you energy, thats why they are really good when you workout. I drank about 16oz in the morning for breakfast, and it energized me all day, then i worked out at night.

One thing to remember about the fruit smoothies is that fruit breaks down into sugar. So with fruit smoothies you aren't getting protein your just getting a daily alotment of fruit and lots of sugar along with it. These protein shakes are like the equivalent of eating a steak or beans or fish.....you know...something really high in protein. So they can be very good for a workout in helping to build mass and toning muscles. Remember that crazy diet where people were eating all protein and no carbs, and they were losing all this weight, well these shakes are kinda like that, except it has carbs in it too to give you energy, thats why they are really good when you workout. I drank about 16oz in the morning for breakfast, and it energized me all day, then i worked out at night.

My input is that it's all about plenty of protein and plenty of water.

Love timeline:

K-1 timeline:

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

0605_10033471973.gif

Filed: Timeline

:help: MAWNIN ladies,

I'm up early (just finish exercising). Since we're all talking about getting great in 2008 I have a CONFESSION.

1. Yesterday I ate a WHOLE avacado in the morning with my cornflakes then;

2. I ate a TWIX chocolate bar with my lunch; then

3. I ate another avacado for dinner, but HALF.

What's wrong with me...I can't stay away from that FRUIT or is it a VEGETABLE. ( I know it's suppose to be good FAT, but it's very FATTING). The chocolate bar (was just a treat) I've not had one of those in months. I'm an emotional eater and when something taste really, really good I lose my mind. To tell you the truth, if my mom hadn't taken the other 3 avacados I would have eaten them. It does something to me and I just can't explain it. :help:

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

I'm up early (just finish exercising). Since we're all talking about getting great in 2008 I have a CONFESSION.

What's wrong with me...I can't stay away from that FRUIT or is it a VEGETABLE. ( I know it's suppose to be good FAT, but it's very FATTING). The chocolate bar (was just a treat) I've not had one of those in months. I'm an emotional eater and when something taste really, really good I lose my mind. To tell you the truth, if my mom hadn't taken the other 3 avacados I would have eaten them. It does something to me and I just can't explain it. :help:

I bet they have plenty of vitamin C, at least!! I've never eaten an avocado....

Love timeline:

K-1 timeline:

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

0605_10033471973.gif

Timeline

I bet they have plenty of vitamin C, at least!! I've never eaten an avocado....

Avocado has alotttt of cholesterol u have to watch ur intake

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.