Kathryn41

passport concern/vent

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok, I laughed at Derekji's Guarantor post but I am having my own 'not funny' situation because of the changes to the Guarantor regulations. I wish they hadn't changed them from having a professional verify your identity. The new regulations now require your guarantor to be a Canadian citizen adult who owns a Canadian passport and who has known you for at least 2 years. This works fine if you live in Canada, but there is no one here in the US that meets those criteria for me. So, mid December I mailed my passport application, my photographs and photocopies of my identification to the only Canadian who meets those criteria and has seen my other identification so can verify them as true copies - my Dad.

He received the package December 28 (4 days later than promised delivery) and mailed them XPress Post back to me on January 2nd. Canada Post tracks them as leaving Canada late evening on the 4th and arriving early morning in the US on the 5th. USPS, however, lost track of them. They have no record of the package since they were notified it was coming on the 4th! It has not arrived at my address and USPS can't find it. I have had them initiate a search but I have no idea what to expect.

Right now I am worried about identity theft by someone in USPS. Fortunately my actual passport isn't within the package but it was a real nuisance - and expense - getting photographs that meet Canadian technical and quality standards and I don't want to have to go through all of that again. I will also be notifying Passport Canada of the potential for identity fraud as well, but meanwhile this whole situation sucks.

My passport expires in April, my green card expires in May; I hate the thought of all the potential problems that may arise by having to deal with USCIS, etc. without a passport. Fortunately, the US government has extended the deadline for requiring a passport to cross back to the US from a land border, so if an emergency arises I know I will at least be allowed back into the US if I have to go to Canada.

Anyway, I am just so frustrated and angry and worried about all of this extra nonsense that could have been avoided if Canada had not changed its guarantor criteria for citizens living outside of Canada. GRRRR (ok, I don't feel better yet but it felt good to complain!). Commiseration welcomed!

Actually individuals in the US have the choice of going the old way or the new way. You just have to print out the old application and use that one instead...

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/form.aspx?lang=eng&region=USA

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks Zyggy,

I found that out afterwards - they hid the other option in the fine print link. When my first application went missing I did print out the old form and get everything redone with a US guarantor, new photos and all. I got everything completed yesterday and was going to take the new application to Fed Ex today - and of course, USPS delivered the original application yesterday afternoon! And then sent me the 'results' of their search saying it was delivered. So now, do I use the form that has the nicer looking photograph signed by my chiropractor who has known me 3 1/2 years or the form signed by my Dad who has known me all my life? Just need to decide now which application has the least chance of being rejected and go with that.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks Zyggy,

I found that out afterwards - they hid the other option in the fine print link. When my first application went missing I did print out the old form and get everything redone with a US guarantor, new photos and all. I got everything completed yesterday and was going to take the new application to Fed Ex today - and of course, USPS delivered the original application yesterday afternoon! And then sent me the 'results' of their search saying it was delivered. So now, do I use the form that has the nicer looking photograph signed by my chiropractor who has known me 3 1/2 years or the form signed by my Dad who has known me all my life? Just need to decide now which application has the least chance of being rejected and go with that.

I'd use the nicer photo one haha

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Can't we drop by at any Canadian consulate in US and then just renew it??

No... Canadian consulates in the US do not accept passport applications. All Canadian Passport applications from the US must be sent to Passport Canada in Ottawa.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.