beatrix kiddo

I'm moving while waiting for MTL interview...

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All,

I hope I can make myself clear while I explain my situation. :thumbs: Packet 3 has been mailed back as of Dec 13th and I am waiting for an interview in MTL. I will be done my job at the end of the month and be moving out of my apartment in Toronto. While waiting for my interview date (if it didn't happen before Feb. 01 :no: ) I will be taking my two cats and flying to my families home in Regina, Sask because my brother will foster my cats and I will be spending time with my ill father, visiting etc.... My questions are the following....

1. While waiting for my letter, should I and how would I change my mailing address to a Regina address with the Montreal Consulate or should I just use the Canada Post change of address service where they forward the mail from your old address to your new one and not notify Montreal?

2. Do you think the Montreal Consulate will care if I change my address to a Regina address?

3. On the day of my interview, upon approval of my Visa, it is my understanding that Montreal mails out the Visa in 2-7 business days.....would they let me pick it up in person the next day? I don't wanna have to fly back to Regina to get the mail just to turn around and get back on a plane to Los Angeles. I need to be able to fly out of Montreal direct to LA.....

Thoughts?????

Thanks for your advice.

Christine and her cats

in the T.O..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi All,

I hope I can make myself clear while I explain my situation. :thumbs: Packet 3 has been mailed back as of Dec 13th and I am waiting for an interview in MTL. I will be done my job at the end of the month and be moving out of my apartment in Toronto. While waiting for my interview date (if it didn't happen before Feb. 01 :no: ) I will be taking my two cats and flying to my families home in Regina, Sask because my brother will foster my cats and I will be spending time with my ill father, visiting etc.... My questions are the following....

1. While waiting for my letter, should I and how would I change my mailing address to a Regina address with the Montreal Consulate or should I just use the Canada Post change of address service where they forward the mail from your old address to your new one and not notify Montreal?

2. Do you think the Montreal Consulate will care if I change my address to a Regina address?

3. On the day of my interview, upon approval of my Visa, it is my understanding that Montreal mails out the Visa in 2-7 business days.....would they let me pick it up in person the next day? I don't wanna have to fly back to Regina to get the mail just to turn around and get back on a plane to Los Angeles. I need to be able to fly out of Montreal direct to LA.....

Thoughts?????

Thanks for your advice.

Christine and her cats

in the T.O..

1. I would do both, change with Canada post and inform the Consulate of the change of address

2. No.. they wont care for the change in address. As long as it is in Canada.

3. You can always ask them if you can pick the passport up. They usually mail out the visa 2-3 business days after the interview. It took me 6 days to get visa in hand.

You could ask your family to mail the passport back to Montreal if you do not want to fly back to Regina.

Good luck :)

EDIT: I just remembered that you have to put down the address where you want your passport to be mailed on the Canada Post Xpresspost mailer... if you know anyone in Montreal (Family or Friends) you can put down their address on there and pick it up from Montreal itself.

Edited by Lance27

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Something else to consider as an option is the possibility of having your interview moved to Vancouver if having an address in Regina qualifies you to do so. Ive not kept up with the timings regarding Vancouver recently but in the past it was a sure bet to getting a quicker interview. Also, something Im not sure of, is the ease of doing so once packet 3 has been returned to the consulate....definately worth some research though. There is a possibility of next day pick up in Vancouver .......I THINK ...not sure though ( at this point you must be wondering why Im typing since Im really unsure overall ;) )

The only real concern with moving while having a case pending is the risk of not having mailings ( RFE's, appt letters etc )reach your current address so Lance's advice about doing both options is a good one to cover both bases.

The liklihood of having a k-1 issued out of Montreal the following day is slim if any. They will offer the CR-1 for next day pickup , I think due to the fact that people need their passport to travel back to the states.The advice they give is not to make travel plans until you're assured of getting the visa. Sux big time I know but they do their thing their way.

Best of luck to you whichever way it goes

google.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

if you CAN get ur case transferred to Vancouver, or if you even want to, you can get your interview much quicker (sometimes in the next week) and almost always are able to pick up your visa the next day.

K-1 Process

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-28

I-129F NOA1 :2007-06-05

I-129F RFE(s) :2007-10-28

RFE Reply(s) :2007-11-05

I-129F NOA2 :2007-11-28

NVC Received : 2007-12-20

NVC Left :2007-12-27 (due to holidays :P)

Consulate Received :2007/12/28 (Vancouver)

Packet 3 Received :2008-01-07

Packet 3 Sent :2008-01-07

Packet 4 Received :2008-01-14

Interview Date :2008-02-11

Visa Received :2008-02-13

US Entry :2008-02-20

Marriage :2008-02-26

Wedding Ceremony: 2008-05-03

Adjustment of Status 4105.gif

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2008-03-09

NOA: 2008-03-15

RFE(s) : 2008-03-29

Bio. Appt. : 2008-04-01

Touched: 04/01 - 04/02 - 04/16 - 04/17 - 04/18 - 04/21 - 05/06 - 05/07 - 05/08

Transferred to CSC: 2008-04-30

APPROVED!! : 2008-06-18

Employment Authorization Document

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method :Mail

Bio. Appt. : 2008-04-01

Approved: 2008-05-12

Advance Parole

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method : Mail

Approved: 2008-05-12

Timeline

thanks for your replies.....they are appreciated.....I am going to email Montreal and explain my situation and seek their advice. I know that Vancouver seems to be much quicker with interviews however I don't want transferring my file to slow down the process. Pick up the next day in Vancouver would really be the best for me though....... :unsure:

Thanks,

Christine&the cats

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

transferring ur file wouldn't most likely slow things down,would speed up the process. If u explained ur moving to Regina, they may or may not do it!! Cant hurt to try, many have had been successful, some have not! Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Thanks.....I just finished sending an email to Montreal with questions about transferring to Vancouver and my address change to Regina...I will update once I get more info from them.

Christine

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

update....well, I have emailed Montreal twice since posting this topic and no bloody response.....I included "address change" in the subject line..........these guys are starting to get on my nerves.....I figure they can't be THAT over worked, or are they?????

I am moving to Regina at the end of the month anyway to wait for my interview....mail will be forwarded through Canada Post regardless.

:(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

include ur CASE # in the subject line first!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.