Enlighten one :)

AFrican Clothing

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I was looking for pictures to send my husband for clothing to be made for my family. I came across this website with some amazing outfits and prices. :help:

http://store.africanapparels.com/index.html

Let me know if anyone has ordered from them. They utilize the Yahoo payment service.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I think the clothes are a bit Americanized. If you have some $$$ or if he is doing custom stuff from pictures check out this site

http://www.tk-designs.com/african/ethnic-women.htm

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

They are both interesting, but I think that the clothes that I saw in Ghana were more like the Tekay site. Their prices are very high, but perhaps because some of the clothes say they were made in Ghana. It seems like the best thing to do is find designs you like and have clothes made yourself. I like my skirts to be fitted and the top flowing. I'm convinced that when both the top and the skirt are flowing, I look like a mac truck! A lot of the skirts look pretty easy to make really. The tops look more difficult and if the fabric is scalloped or like I have his and hers matching outfits made from Ghanaian lace. You have to know what you are doing when cutting that fabric. They sell the fabric in NYC which is a 3 hours drive for me.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you for providing the web sites. Both were very nice. Whether a person chooses to purchase, make, or have clothing made for them is a matter of choice, of course. My fiance had many outfits made for me during my visit to Naija. I could not believe the speed at which the tailor lady made them, and they were quite detailed and complicated designs. I have also bookmarked the web sites you provided.

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Timeline

Yes my husband did too, but I did not like the material he chose. But I graciously accepted them for him. The bust line was too tight so he took me to the seamstress to measure and fix. My son loved his outfit. I was so proud of him. At his ageI thought he might not want to wear his. He asked to wear it on 4 seperate occasions. I asked if he wanted another one he said yes.

Thank you for providing the web sites. Both were very nice. Whether a person chooses to purchase, make, or have clothing made for them is a matter of choice, of course. My fiance had many outfits made for me during my visit to Naija. I could not believe the speed at which the tailor lady made them, and they were quite detailed and complicated designs. I have also bookmarked the web sites you provided.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Timeline

I love the western mix too. I want a few so i can wear them to work. They look so comfortable. Angel 71 i think the number after her name has a picture of her and her husband with this beautiful pastel green matching set. I sent that picture to my husband and told him I want some material like that.

Cool sites , I like the prices of the less expensive site and don't mind the Western mix in the clothing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I have 3 outfits from my trip 2 dresses and 1 pants set. Then I have a few other things. Right now we are planning a nice matching set. The seamstress still has my measurements. Did you go to the markets while you were there. I did and the fabrics are amazing. We should all post our favorite outfit. I can't until I get home from my tournement the photo is on my desktop at home.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Timeline

I wish I had a chance. Everyday it was tomorrow. They wouldn’t let me buy gifts in the hotel because the price was too high, but we never made it to the market to get any.

Yes, my son said he wanted one for us all to wear to church. Yes we will stand out in our small congregational church, but I will enjoy it.

I have 3 outfits from my trip 2 dresses and 1 pants set. Then I have a few other things. Right now we are planning a nice matching set. The seamstress still has my measurements. Did you go to the markets while you were there. I did and the fabrics are amazing. We should all post our favorite outfit. I can't until I get home from my tournement the photo is on my desktop at home.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I don't think the outfits were westernized but more like East Africa or India inspired, very lovely. The tekay site is geared towards West African clothing. So neither is westernized but geared towards a specific demographic area.

When we wear traditional clothing people are very inquisitive, and it is important that we be able to give a correct identification of the location and tradition our outfits belong to.

I love Nigerian outfits I have at least 20. But, my Ghanaian tailor is the BOMB, she keeps me in vogue with the latest fashions, I call her before I travel, she will pick up fabric for me to choose from I won't have go to market. Then again going to market and haggling over the cost is part of the fun.

But where ever you all purchase your clothing. All the pictures in traditional attire look SO BEAUTIFUL thanks for sharing them.

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline
I don't think the outfits were westernized but more like East Africa or India inspired, very lovely. The tekay site is geared towards West African clothing. So neither is westernized but geared towards a specific demographic area.

When we wear traditional clothing people are very inquisitive, and it is important that we be able to give a correct identification of the location and tradition our outfits belong to.

I love Nigerian outfits I have at least 20. But, my Ghanaian tailor is the BOMB, she keeps me in vogue with the latest fashions, I call her before I travel, she will pick up fabric for me to choose from I won't have go to market. Then again going to market and haggling over the cost is part of the fun.

But where ever you all purchase your clothing. All the pictures in traditional attire look SO BEAUTIFUL thanks for sharing them.

Glad you mentioned the India flavor to the site, I believe you are correct because of the "flowing style".

I actually have seen this mix before in a local International Festival Market here in my area.

We are currently too broke with all immi expenses and flights etc to purchase anything. :angry:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Glad you mentioned the India flavor to the site, I believe you are correct because of the "flowing style".

I actually have seen this mix before in a local International Festival Market here in my area.

We are currently too broke with all immi expenses and flights etc to purchase anything. :angry:

As far as being broke "this too shall pass" and you will be in a better position to reward yourself with (some it's all about me) items. Something to think about, when your SO arrives in April the weather will begin to warm up, you two can experience the Internatinal Fesitvals together, and you will be able to wear your beautiful traditional outfits.

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

That's probably why the Tekay site looks more like the clothes I saw in Ghana. I like how quickly they make the clothes for you. I haven't purchased anything ready made. My favorite fabric is Ghana lace. It's soooo beautiful and so many variations. We have one from our engagement party that's a matching set of his and hers that is sort of a pastel green with other colors infused.(green is both of our favorite colors) Maybe I'll post it. I don't know why it's so much fun to wear matching outfits with my fiance. I keep thinking that it's something I haven't thought to do since high school but now it's so sweet and comfortable. Nothing odd about it. The one fabric I didn't like was kind of heavy/thick and had a certain plastic quality to it....i don't know if I'm describing it correctly cause it was a fabric that I'm not familiar with. It mostly reminded me of picnic table clothes, but it's not quite the same thing. It was popular in Ghana the last time I was there. But I don't particularly like it. I'm not sure if Bassi likes it, but he tends to be like most men and defer to me.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Like Sylvia-n-Joseph said lets all post our favorite outfit. I love the clothes :thumbs:

I only got one tailor made outfit when I was in Lagos and my husband has one just like it I got it after we were married, I wish I had it when I got married I would have loved to have gotten married in it !meinNigeria.jpg

Edited by ara

Amy & Ola

LOVE is in your heart not to stay, but to be shared

I-130

2006-Met Online!

3/2/07-Married in Lagos!

3/12/07- Mailed I-130 to CSC

3/19/07-CSC received application

3/23/07-Received NOA-1 in mail from CSC

5/31/07-Touched!

7/30/07-Touched!

7/31/07-Touched!- Could this be a sign?God I hope so!

8/01/07-APPROVAL-via USCIS email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/06/07-Received hardcopy NOA-2 in mail from CSC

K-3

3/?/07-Mailed I-129F to Chicago

4/9/07-Received at Chicago

4/11/07-Recieved NOA-1 Case being transferred to CSC

4/25/07-Received NOA-1 Case at CSC

5/31/07-Touched!

7/30/07-Touched!

7/31/07-Touched!- Could this be a sign?God I hope so!

8/01/07-Approval-via USCIS email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/06/07-Received hardcopy NOA-2 in mail from CSC

8/29/07-Called NVC was told my petition was sent to Lagos Cons. Aug.22, 2007 got my case #

8/31/07-Received NVC Approval Letter in the Mail

9/4/07-Husband picked up packets 3 and 4-Interview Date Set for Oct.31st, 2007!

10/31/07-K3 Interview-APPROVED!!!!!!

11/06/07-Pick up Visa

11/10/07-POE Atlanta

AOS JOURNEY

12/21/07-Mailed AOS to Chicago Lockbox via USPS

12/23/07-Chicago Lockbox received AOS and EAD petition

01/04/08-NOA1 received for AOS and EAD via mail

01/29/08-Biometrics!

02/19/08-Touched! EAD Card Production Ordered

02/26/08-Email from CRIS EAD Approval Letter sent out

02/27/08-EAD Card received in mail

02/28/08-Applied for SS#

03/01/08-Received AOS Appt. Letter in Mail(No touches or emails on this case)

04/29/08-AOS Interview! Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.