Ta Ta

Loving the African male

218 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
How long did they say it would take to receive the book from CB books distribution?

Zain my husband and I agree that our 1st responsibility is to each other and other lil ones that we may be blessed with, so we have in mind to add aid to his family in our budget but our responisibility to each other comes first . But I didnt know till reading the book that this was something to be expected. I just thought it was my husbands thing. See here in us if my bro or sister wants money all the time from me I would get mad but the book helped me to see it from a different perspective his family doesnt have the same prospects that my family does and a little help goes a long way there. I just had to get the right view and it was easier to see why we need to have it added to our budget.

I'll have to read more about what it says when I finally get the book. I really feel like helping is mom and dad is a no brainer. I help my own mom out. It's just giving back. But his brothers and sisters are on their own unless there is an emergency. They won't have a line in my budget. I feel they are old enough to get work. Maybe I'm being callous and short sighted.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Zain

I agree with you about emergency. He has the same mind as me. If they are in need he will help but there are some nieces of his that were abandoned by there father so he regularly gives to his sister who is raising them. His brother is at the cape coast university and needs help once in awhile. I dont mind. If my brother-in-law ever comes to the states with the education he is getting he will make good money and he would be more than willing to help us if it came to that.

03/09/2013: Married

09/10/2013: Sent I-130

09/12/2013: Case Received.

03/04/2014: Petition transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

03/25/2014: I-130 Petition approved

03/28/2014: Petition sent to NVC

04/09/2014: NVC received case

05/08/2014: NVC assigned case number

05/16/2014: Paid AOS fee

10/02/2014: Case Closed

10/10/2014: Interview Date Scheduled

11/17/2014: Interview - APPROVED!!

Timeline
Zain

I agree with you about emergency. He has the same mind as me. If they are in need he will help but there are some nieces of his that were abandoned by there father so he regularly gives to his sister who is raising them. His brother is at the cape coast university and needs help once in awhile. I dont mind. If my brother-in-law ever comes to the states with the education he is getting he will make good money and he would be more than willing to help us if it came to that.

I hear what you are saying. Abass is from a big family like many Africans, I think, though I may be stereotyping. He has 5 brothers and 2 sisters. One of his sisters and I are like sisters. We have become very close and talk all the time. I talk to her more and more intimately than I do my blood sisters. All of his brothers are working or searching for work except for one brother. This one is younger than us, but he is 30 years old, so not by much. He's always hanging out with friends. When one of his friends has to go to work, he finds another friend to play with. If he asks for anything, he'll get a lecture. So, I'm all about helping out, if we can, and if it's truly warranted. But most important of all, is that Bassi and I spoke about this ahead of time. We are open about communicating about things in our marriage, though he hates it if I appear to be getting "excited". :lol: He doesn't like arguing in the manner I'm accustomed to....he's no fun!

AOS

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Zain

I hear what you are saying. Abass is from a big family like many Africans, I think, though I may be stereotyping. He has 5 brothers and 2 sisters. One of his sisters and I are like sisters. We have become very close and talk all the time. I talk to her more and more intimately than I do my blood sisters. All of his brothers are working or searching for work except for one brother. This one is younger than us, but he is 30 years old, so not by much. He's always hanging out with friends. When one of his friends has to go to work, he finds another friend to play with. If he asks for anything, he'll get a lecture. So, I'm all about helping out, if we can, and if it's truly warranted. But most important of all, is that Bassi and I spoke about this ahead of time. We are open about communicating about things in our marriage, though he hates it if I appear to be getting "excited". :lol: He doesn't like arguing in the manner I'm accustomed to....he's no fun!

Girl tell me about it. Having to think about what you are saying when in an argument is soooo hard. Actually, for me it is a newly aquired skill, and I am greatful of being cured from my Tourettes Syndrome episodes :ranting: (it could get real ugly) :yes: . I am still working on the rambling but hey it's a process :D .

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I am greatful of being cured from my Tourettes Syndrome episodes :ranting: (it could get real ugly) :yes: .

You are stepping on my toes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can totally relate. But thank God for deliverence! He is still working on me, and I'm taking it one day at a time. Especially considering that my husband just mainly sits still and remains quite. :whistle:

Edited by Boaz

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

Timeline
Girl tell me about it. Having to think about what you are saying when in an argument is soooo hard. Actually, for me it is a newly aquired skill, and I am greatful of being cured from my Tourettes Syndrome episodes :ranting: (it could get real ugly) :yes: . I am still working on the rambling but hey it's a process :D .

:lol: My argument style is listen to me for 45 minutes then you have 4 minutes to respond!

He sits there silently and boy does that PISS ME OFF!!! :angry:

AOS

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

:lol: My argument style is listen to me for 45 minutes then you have 4 minutes to respond!

:lol::yes:

Timeline

You give four minutes, your a saint :innocent: . That silent ####### is the pits :bonk: , but I sometimes become in awe of his ability to keep his composure.

See ladies we are so used to men that will argue and scream with us :diablo::girlwerewolf2xn: . Now were dealing with men and this silence #######. We get more angry than we did with the male screamers.

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Timeline

To rally in the troops about this book......... I thought we can wait a bit longer until most everyone has received the book and then discuss it

chapter by chapter.

Maybe next week start with the foreword where he gives his background. Any suggestions ? Or just everyone add something about whatever chapter they are reading whenever ? Feedback please B)

Timeline

You give four minutes, your a saint :innocent: . That silent ####### is the pits :bonk: , but I sometimes become in awe of his ability to keep his composure.

See ladies we are so used to men that will argue and scream with us :diablo::girlwerewolf2xn: . Now were dealing with men and this silence #######. We get more angry than we did with the male screamers.

Wow mine does that too.......he informed me that whenever he gets very upset I will find him very, very quiet.

I prefer it though because I need to calm down.

Timeline

Question that is NOT brought out in the book but very relevant.

What about ' saving face ' . Like something happend that he is embarrassed about and now he beats around the bush, saving face.

There was a whole thread about this from someone with a Thai SO and it was very interesting.

I think the same goes for the African culture..........a kind of unspoken understanding something something, don't know how to even verbalize it

or formulate my question correctly ......lol.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Oh my gosh! This is just like my husband, at first. :) Im used to things happening a certain way....I get mad and loud and then you get made and loud back and then we calm down and make up. Imagine our first argument and he was just quite and calm. I guess he didnt know how it was supposed to go...its sort of dance, if you will. It made me even more mad....do I have to teach him everything? Guess so, cause now we go at it pretty proper :) Cept the make up part is not as sweet when we are not together. Reminds me in the book about how he couldnt understand why we throw things and slams doors.

03/09/2013: Married

09/10/2013: Sent I-130

09/12/2013: Case Received.

03/04/2014: Petition transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

03/25/2014: I-130 Petition approved

03/28/2014: Petition sent to NVC

04/09/2014: NVC received case

05/08/2014: NVC assigned case number

05/16/2014: Paid AOS fee

10/02/2014: Case Closed

10/10/2014: Interview Date Scheduled

11/17/2014: Interview - APPROVED!!

Timeline

Wow mine does that too.......he informed me that whenever he gets very upset I will find him very, very quiet.

I prefer it though because I need to calm down.

My husband is the exact same way. He remains calm and I am finding myself actually learning to "calm myself" more quickly, which I think helps ALOT

K-1 Visa Journey

03/10/2007 - Sent I-129F to NSC

06/05/2007 - Approved

06/25/2007 - NVC Case Number received

07/05/2007 - Fiance received Packets 3 and 4

09/06/2007 - INTERVIEW----- APPROVED

09/13/2007 - VISA IN HAND

09/14/2007 - POE AT JFK

10/26/2007 - Wedding

01/17/2008 - Email from CRIS that I-129 was approved!

AOS Journey

10/28/2007 - AOS mailed to Chicago via Federal Express

10/29/2007 - AOS received at Chicago

11/05/2007 - NOA for I-131, I-485, I-765

12/28/2007 - Biometrics

12/29/2007 - Case appeared on USCIS website

12/31/2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AP Approved

01/10/2008 - AP Received in mail

01/12/2008 - EAD Card Recieved in mail

07/24/2008 - AOS Interview

07/30/2008 -Card Production Ordered

08/11/2008 - GREEN CARD RECIEVED

04/30/2010 - ROC mailed to CA via USPS Express Mail

08/10/2010 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AOS Approved

04/24/2011 - Mailed N-400

05/12/2011 - Received I-797C

06/08/2011 - Biometrics

07/25/2011 - N-400 Interview

07/25/2011 - Oath Ceremony

MY HUSBAND IS A US CITIZEN!!!

Timeline
To rally in the troops about this book......... I thought we can wait a bit longer until most everyone has received the book and then discuss it

chapter by chapter.

Maybe next week start with the foreword where he gives his background. Any suggestions ? Or just everyone add something about whatever chapter they are reading whenever ? Feedback please B)

I emailed and asked Carol at CB how long it would take to get us the books and she said about two weeks.

I like the free for all, because some things will strike me stronger than others. I'm sure I'll read chapters and have NO input at all. But I'll go with whatever the majority opinion is.

AOS

Timeline
Question that is NOT brought out in the book but very relevant.

What about ' saving face ' . Like something happend that he is embarrassed about and now he beats around the bush, saving face.

There was a whole thread about this from someone with a Thai SO and it was very interesting.

I think the same goes for the African culture..........a kind of unspoken understanding something something, don't know how to even verbalize it

or formulate my question correctly ......lol.

Bassi beats the damn bush to death!!!

God bless him....eventually he gets to it, but it takes FOREVER. And whenever I interrupt to try to speed it along because I get it....he says, "Baby wait, Let me land. I'm getting there, just let me land." I'm ready to shoot the airplane down! That'll get it to land. I've noticed though that he'll only address it with me or with his parents. If it's between he and his siblings or his friends, forget it! He's not giving an inch. He'll just fall silent on the issue. Stubborn as a mule!

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.