deadlyredhead

I-130 timeline help!

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi there, i need to know how long is the average it takes from sending in your I-130 application to it being processed and you being able to enter the USA. My mother is a LPR and is going to file for me I am in the UK. I was also wondering if it would be better for my stepfather to process, he married my mother before i was 16, i am now 29. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Hi there, i need to know how long is the average it takes from sending in your I-130 application to it being processed and you being able to enter the USA. My mother is a LPR and is going to file for me I am in the UK. I was also wondering if it would be better for my stepfather to process, he married my mother before i was 16, i am now 29. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Depends if you are married or not.

Timelines are here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin...letin_2868.html

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Did you look at the link?

Say 6 or 7 years. Difficult to say precisely.

Your stepfather can file and you can take a view when it comes up if you still want to continue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

what do you mean? why does it take so long anyway? all my family are over there? where did you see it saying 6 or 7 years? I have been trying to find online other peoples experiences with this and cant find it anywhere, cant i apply then go live there or something?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It looks like you'd be preference category 2B with priority date of 15JUL96. (Someone correct me if this is wrong).

It would be a lot faster, as I understand, if your mother were a citizen. It looks like she was in the states for a long time -- does she plan on becoming a citizen?

I don't believe you can come and live while you wait for your priority date unless you obtain a visa that will allow you to stay in the US while you are awaiting processing -- H1-B, F-1, etc.

This is my personal understand of the issue; you will probably benefit from consultation with an immigration attorney.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Timeline

thanks, yea, i will tell my mother do get in touch with someone about this, it is all very confusing to me. I dont understand any of it. I really didnt think it would take as long as that. maybe i would be better getting my step father to apply for me, he married my mother before i was 16 so i think that means i would be classed as his child, if anyone knows if thats right let me know.

Timeline
It looks like you'd be preference category 2B with priority date of 15JUL96. (Someone correct me if this is wrong).

It would be a lot faster, as I understand, if your mother were a citizen. It looks like she was in the states for a long time -- does she plan on becoming a citizen?

I don't believe you can come and live while you wait for your priority date unless you obtain a visa that will allow you to stay in the US while you are awaiting processing -- H1-B, F-1, etc.

This is my personal understand of the issue; you will probably benefit from consultation with an immigration attorney.

I assumed that her step father could apply for her due to the date of the marriage and her age at the time. I may be wrong.

First: Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Citizens: 23,400 plus any numbers not required for fourth preference.

Currently processing 22 April 2001. I round up now on the assumption that they will get overloaded with Amnesty cases. If one assumes the same timelines, 5 1/2 years minimum.

She would need a visa with dual intent, an F would be unlikely for that reason.

H would be ideal but that depends on qualifications/ getting a job etc

And do NOT get married!

Timeline

I assumed that her step father could apply for her due to the date of the marriage and her age at the time. I may be wrong.

First: Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Citizens: 23,400 plus any numbers not required for fourth preference.

I am still slightly confused, what is the H1-B and an F-1? how do I get these and what are they? Also if i got the application process going would this affect me visiting the usa for a holiday until it was processed?

Currently processing 22 April 2001. I round up now on the assumption that they will get overloaded with Amnesty cases. If one assumes the same timelines, 5 1/2 years minimum.

She would need a visa with dual intent, an F would be unlikely for that reason.

H would be ideal but that depends on qualifications/ getting a job etc

And do NOT get married!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

google is your friend.

Try uscis.gov and travel.state.gov

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

H1-B is an employment based visa: you need an employer who's willing to sponsor you -- not trivial. F-1 is a student visa: lots of $$ for international student tuition. Look them up on the internet.

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

---

Timeline

ah, i dont think either of those would apply to me. does anyone know whether certain circumstances speed up your application or not? I really cant understand why it would take 6 years for me to go to the states to live with my mother, its appalling. What if she was sick and i had to go look after her or something? Its a joke. Are there no people on this site that have gone through the sponsoring a family member that can tell me how long it took them?

and what good will an immigration lawyer do? i have asked my mother to contact one but i dont really want to waste the money on that if i dont have to, i have exhausted looking on the net for info, the uscis site is hopeless and tells you nothing sensible. I cant even work out whether i am classed as my step fathers child or not. does anyone know if they have a helpline where you can actually talk to someone and get some advice from them?

thanks

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
ah, i dont think either of those would apply to me. does anyone know whether certain circumstances speed up your application or not? I really cant understand why it would take 6 years for me to go to the states to live with my mother, its appalling. What if she was sick and i had to go look after her or something? Its a joke. Are there no people on this site that have gone through the sponsoring a family member that can tell me how long it took them?

and what good will an immigration lawyer do? i have asked my mother to contact one but i dont really want to waste the money on that if i dont have to, i have exhausted looking on the net for info, the uscis site is hopeless and tells you nothing sensible. I cant even work out whether i am classed as my step fathers child or not. does anyone know if they have a helpline where you can actually talk to someone and get some advice from them?

thanks

haha, why does it take 6 years? It's a long queue ahead of you! Because of your age, you are not eligible to go to the front of the line. Appalling that you waited so long to decide to move...

The value of a lawyer would be in finding a faster way for you to come to the US as a NON immigrant so that you can wait with your mother instead of overseas. But, unless you have some professional qualifications, that may be a short list in your particular circumstances.

Even if the step father qualifies/petitions you, that category is backlogged 5 years or so *as of today* (the line can get longer).

All the information is on the uscis.gov site; hiring a lawyer may be your best way to understand what is already posted there. You probably don't find many people posting on the topic because there is nothing to discuss for 5 or 6 years---the people using that category don't need the internet; they've often already learned the ropes in the primary person's immigration. There was a poster here named Mo007; he came under an F1A preference, IIRC.

The people who work at the helpline are not immigration officers, advisors or employees. They are a private company contracted to take the calls and look up limited information on their computers. Take their advice at your own risk.

Edited by meauxna

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Looks like your stepfather can petition for you:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/child...tm#usstepparent

"... (if you are petitioning for a stepchild, your marriage to the child’s parent must take place before the stepchild’s 18th birthday)..."

Still, since you are over 21, you are not classified as a "child" (immediate relative) and an immigrant visa number is not available to you immediately. You are in the 1st preference as Boiler suggested, which gives you a priority date of 2001 -- at least 5 yrs wait.

I'd run this by an attorney -- no one on this forum is qualified to give you legal advice, and you should not base decisions solely on the information you receive here.

11-07-2005 AP approved

---

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.