Mina76

Just Turkish

1,923 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Wonderful news, Debra! Congrats.

and Mina brought up the citizenship piece, which made me wonder (perhaps jumping the gun a bit)...once those of us choose that path and attain it, how many will continue on the VJ website as the VJ will be completed?

I hope to be able to stay in touch with some folks here.

As for us - our ck was cashed on the 15th. We're stilling waiting on the NOA.

Received 10 year green card in the mail yesterday. :thumbs: How is everyone doing? Any news?

Take care,

Peace (F)

Debbie

Edited by awaterlily

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Well...turns out its a bit more complicated than I thought. For us anyway. My husband came to the US on a marriage-based visa (K1), so before we can file for the military postponement, we have to register our marriage with the Turkish embassy. Since we were married in Las Vegas, we have to apply to register our marriage with the consulate in Los Angeles (the NY consulate does not have "jurisdiction" to register marriages that took place in Nevada). THEN, after that process is complete, we have to bring or send his immigration papers back to the NY consulate to apply to extend his military service deadline. So basically, we made the 7-hour round trip to NY for nothing. Well, we had a good time exploring the city, but weren't able to accomplish what we really went there for. We are under a little bit of stress right now to get the process completed, as we have purchased plane tickets for late March to return to Turkey for a visit (they told us on the phone that it would be simple and wouldn't take more than ~2 weeks to complete)...I really hope we can get everything done in time!

Ozzy was so stressed out & disgusted after our visit to the consulate that he temporarily started smoking again (he had quit ~3 weeks ago) and now swears he is going to change his citizenship ASAP!

For your friend, it should be simpler. He should contact the Turkish Consulate for specifics, but probably all he needs to do is bring/send his green card (copy or original or both...I am not sure) probably with proof that he is a student or worker (basically that he is fullfilling whatever type of visa he came here with) to the consulate that has jurisdiction over the region where he lives. They can extend his deadline for military service for one year during which time he can visit Turkey with no problem. Apparently the process takes ~2 weeks normally.

Best Wishes,

Tanya

Thanks so much for your links & posts! I do really appreciate it. I think you guys are right, it's probably the military requirement that is holding him back from visiting.

Since he left to complete college here, he probably left Turkey before the required age of 20 there. I had no idea that the military requirement would be so strictly enforced. While reading on the link to wiki from Tanya, it said that you cant get married, cant stay at a hotel, if you are a draft evader. Yikes, they are serious.

Tanya, I'd appreciate if you could post or PM me how everything goes on Friday for you at the Turkish consulate. Best of luck to you!

Thanks again for all your help, from me, and my friend in need. :)

ROC Journey:

01/19/2010 - Mailed ROC paperwork to Vermont Service Center

01/21/2010 - ROC package arrived at VSC

01/26/2010 - Check cashed

01/28/2010 - Received NOA, GC extended for 1 year

02/25/2010 - Biometrics taken

04/23/2010 - Conditions lifted! :)

05/01/2010 - Ten-year GC received...on hubby's birthday! Yay!

MeandOzzy.jpg

Timeline

Congratulations!! :dance::star::D

***** U P D A T E *****

Received 10 year green card in the mail yesterday. :thumbs:

How is everyone doing? Any news?

Ah, so happy this week is over! Almost finished with year-end :dance::dance:

Take care,

Peace (F)

Debbie

ROC Journey:

MeandOzzy.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven't written for awhile. I got back last Sunday, but have been busy catching up on work. We had a wonderful time and words can't describe how good it was to see him and have his arms around me!!! A year was too long!!! We spent New Years with the family and it was great. This time we went to Ankara so Yilmaz's sister could check on her apartment (she is living back home while her husband is on Navy business in Albania). Had a lovely villa that we rented and just enjoyed being together!! Despite the wonderful time, unfortunately I had to leave and found it extremely hard to do so. The separation is really getting to me and I am praying very hard for a positive outcome soon!!!

On another note, Wow, what great news for Debra and John. Tebrikler!!!!

Awaterlily, I agree with what you said. Even though I have a long road ahead of me, I hope to stay in touch with everyone, even when your journeys have come to an end.

The little one is growing and what a beauty!!!

Deb Res, Wow, 90 lbs. How wonderful!!! I am so happy for you!!!

Mina, Congratulations on your move!!! Best wishes in your new abode!! Thank you so much for your good wishes for my trip. I have missed talking to you!!!

Tanya, I am so sorry, I didn't realize you and Ozzy were going through this regarding his military service. I hope you will get it resolved soon. I am sure you will, you both seem to be on top of things and waste no time getting done what needs to be done!!!

Also, welcome to the new members. It is great to see and hear other stories of couples in similar situations. I am sure you know, if any of us can help, we are here!!!

Best Wishes and much Love to all,

Wendy :goofy:(L)

06/2005 - Met in the U.S.

3/26/07 - Mailed I-129F

3/28/07 - Vermont Received

3/29/07 - NOA1

3/30/07 - Check cashed

4/03/07 - "Touched"

4/11/07 - Approved, NOA 2 mailed via snail mail

4/18/07 - NVC received approved I-129F petition

5/02/07 - Fiance received Packet 3

5/22/07 - Mailed I-134 and supporting evidence to Fiance

5/25/07 - I-134 papers arrive in Turkey to SO via UPS

5/29/07 - Packet 3 sent to American Embassy in Turkey

6/02/07 - Packet 4 received by fiance

7/16/07 - Interview in Ankara at 9:45 am

7/16/07 - Visa denied because of a previous overstay in US, must file I-601 waiver

8/16/07 - Delivered I-601 papers to US Embassy in Ankara

12/28/07 - Fourth visit to Turkey

11/22/08 - Still waiting on I-601 Waiver (16 months)

12/23/08 - Yilmaz received approval letter for his waiver in mail!!!

03/18/09 - 2nd IV interview in Ankara

03/18/09 - Visa approved. Will be sent via UPS to his home address

03/25/09 - Received visa at home address

04/18/09 - Arrival in U.S.!!!!!!

05/21/09 - Married on the beach in Hawaii

07/12/09 - Mailed AOS papers via FedEX

7/18/09 - NOA for AOS/EAD/AP

7/30/09 - I-485 transferred to CSC

8/19/09 - Biometrics appointment @ 11 AM---COMPLETED

8/30/09 - AP approved (recieved 2 hard copies in mail on 9/5/09)

9/08/09 - EAD card received in the mail

10/16/09 - Touch from CSC

11/09/09 - Card production ordered

10/05/11 - Filed Removal of Conditions

07/31/12 - Removal of conditions APPROVED, card issued

Timeline

Merrhaba

merk - I noticed the timeline in your sig....of course w/o knowing details, I'm surprised your i-129 was rejected and not transferred to the correct service ctr. Otherwise, Good stuff in re to your touches ( i-130?)! Keep us posted.

wendya - welcome back! pleased to hear you had such memorable trip. I didn't realize you had been apart for a year. Ouch! Sounds like your trip was much needed and def overdue.

Timeline

Yes I would have thought that it would have been sent to the right service center! But nope it was sitting in a nice fat envolove in the mail box... And after looking at all the info (or lack there of )my laywer submitted I am kinda glad in a way. With all the typo's and whited out and hand written entries, that would be my guess as to why they just threw it back, it looked VERY unprofessinal. So I will go the CR way I won't cry (anymore) over spilled milk....

HIM, ME and BABY MAKES 3

"THE STRONGEST PEOPLE ARE NOT ALWAYS THE ONES WHO WIN, RATHER THE ONES THAT DO NOT GIVE UP WHEN THEY LOSE."

14 Feb08 Case number assigned

5JUN 08 Got visa

FLYS IN TO CHICAGO POE ON THE 15TH!!!

December 08 move to GERMANY

May2009 Start Case for Naturalization

14 SEPTEMBER 2009 Visa Journey is over!! Husband a US Citizen!!

For your friend, it should be simpler. He should contact the Turkish Consulate for specifics, but probably all he needs to do is bring/send his green card (copy or original or both...I am not sure) probably with proof that he is a student or worker (basically that he is fullfilling whatever type of visa he came here with) to the consulate that has jurisdiction over the region where he lives. They can extend his deadline for military service for one year during which time he can visit Turkey with no problem. Apparently the process takes ~2 weeks normally.

Best Wishes,

Tanya

Thanks Tanya for the info! Sorry to hear you went through all that, and didn't get the military extenstion :(

Good luck with the process of LA & NY. I'll pass the info along to my friend, hopefully he can get it all taken care of here in Chicago.

Thanks again & best of luck! (F)

12140.gif

Timeline

Yeah, that seems odd. Never heard of it being done before but that doesn't mean it hasn't. Did you file your CR to the right office?

Yes I would have thought that it would have been sent to the right service center! But nope it was sitting in a nice fat envolove in the mail box... And after looking at all the info (or lack there of )my laywer submitted I am kinda glad in a way. With all the typo's and whited out and hand written entries, that would be my guess as to why they just threw it back, it looked VERY unprofessinal. So I will go the CR way I won't cry (anymore) over spilled milk....

Timeline

Yes as far as I know. At the time in Oct I lived in Hawaii so the I -130 was filed at the CSC. Got the NOA from California. I moved in Nov. The I129 was returned from Chicago. Sent in Jan. And in the packet they sent, they included the proof that it was sent from my lawyer and she sent it to Chicago. So basically I do nothing at this point right? Just wait for the NOA2 from where ever?

HIM, ME and BABY MAKES 3

"THE STRONGEST PEOPLE ARE NOT ALWAYS THE ONES WHO WIN, RATHER THE ONES THAT DO NOT GIVE UP WHEN THEY LOSE."

5JUN 08 Got visa

Timeline

Let me see if I have this understood right, you moved from HI (filed both types of apps with a California Service Ctr?). You moved in Nov (u didn't mention where)...is the area where you live still covered under the CSC?

Have you notified USCIS of your change of address? According to their website, "Customers who have an application and/or petition which has been filed with USCIS but has not yet been decided (also known as a 'pending' case) should notify USCIS of any change of address as soon as possible after moving."

If you have not, here's some USCIS info on the subject and how to do it:

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa

USCIS services available to you while case is pending (very useful):

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0000ecd190aRCRD

Definately want to try to minimize any potential delays with your case. Waiting is long enough even when filed perfectly.

Yes as far as I know. At the time in Oct I lived in Hawaii so the I -130 was filed at the CSC. Got the NOA from California. I moved in Nov. The I129 was returned from Chicago. Sent in Jan. And in the packet they sent, they included the proof that it was sent from my lawyer and she sent it to Chicago. So basically I do nothing at this point right? Just wait for the NOA2 from where ever?

Timeline

LOL Sorry I will clarify. I filed the 130 in Oct to the CSC(lived in Hawaii). Moved in Nov to New Mexico. Called the USCIS myself and told them of the move. As soon as I had an address I also told my Lawyer. Kept in touch weekly with the laywer. Did not hear anything (also found this site) and called the lawyer and told them to send in the I 129 with the proof that the I 130 was sent. She sent it out in Jan. I just happened to call when the actual lawyer answered the phone. I asked about my NOA, that day the assistant emailed me a copy( funny because I had asked her about it the week before!!!) Anyway, looking at the 797's the 129rejection is dated the same as the 130's reciept notice. Diffrent service centers. So I think the lawyer sent it to the wrong one. the 130 went to cali the 129 went to chicago. The laywer had my new address cause you can see in my packet that instead of re printing them they very poorly whited out the old address and wrote in the new one. But it looks as if the address was updated at the service centers cause the rejection notice came to my house and not back to the laywer.

HIM, ME and BABY MAKES 3

5JUN 08 Got visa

Timeline

Def sounds like a mix up with the lawyer.

Anyway, dual filings don't promise one will complete before the other. But, some ppl like the feeling of the back up.

We hit a snag during our process, too.

We went through VSC w/i-130. From start to finish was 13 months. VCS approved our app and was to transfer it to NVC. Somewhere in between, they lost our file, NVC never got it and we were left in absolute limbo for about 5 months. Frustrated with lack of help/information from VSC & NVC, I contacted my local congressman's office, who contacted immigration and they were able to get the ball rolling. We resubmitted a copy of our entire i-130 application packet. Bam! everything moved fast. The congressman's office kept regular contact w/me and status w/immigration offices through the rest of the process state side. And, once my husband got here, we made a trip over to see them just to say thank you (they don't accept gifts) in person. I still stop in from time to time, just to say hi. Best of all, they provide FREE immigration support.

I hope all goes well for you from now on. GL and KUP!

LOL Sorry I will clarify. I filed the 130 in Oct to the CSC(lived in Hawaii). Moved in Nov to New Mexico. Called the USCIS myself and told them of the move. As soon as I had an address I also told my Lawyer. Kept in touch weekly with the laywer. Did not hear anything (also found this site) and called the lawyer and told them to send in the I 129 with the proof that the I 130 was sent. She sent it out in Jan. I just happened to call when the actual lawyer answered the phone. I asked about my NOA, that day the assistant emailed me a copy( funny because I had asked her about it the week before!!!) Anyway, looking at the 797's the 129rejection is dated the same as the 130's reciept notice. Diffrent service centers. So I think the lawyer sent it to the wrong one. the 130 went to cali the 129 went to chicago. The laywer had my new address cause you can see in my packet that instead of re printing them they very poorly whited out the old address and wrote in the new one. But it looks as if the address was updated at the service centers cause the rejection notice came to my house and not back to the laywer.

Timeline

Thanks Wendy! We mailed all the stuff off to register our marriage in L.A. this morning...then we're just planning to bug the heck out of everyone at the Turkish Consulate and military service until they give us what we need! :)

Glad to hear you had such an awesome trip and glad you made it back safe!!

Take Care,

Tanya

P.S. I was reading some old posts on this forum the other day and cracking up to myself when I came to the part about eating fish and yoghurt at the same time...its sooo true! Apparently the same thing goes for fish and milk too... :P

Tanya, I am so sorry, I didn't realize you and Ozzy were going through this regarding his military service. I hope you will get it resolved soon. I am sure you will, you both seem to be on top of things and waste no time getting done what needs to be done!!!

ROC Journey:

MeandOzzy.jpg

Merrhaba

merk - I noticed the timeline in your sig....of course w/o knowing details, I'm surprised your i-129 was rejected and not transferred to the correct service ctr. Otherwise, Good stuff in re to your touches ( i-130?)! Keep us posted.

wendya - welcome back! pleased to hear you had such memorable trip. I didn't realize you had been apart for a year. Ouch! Sounds like your trip was much needed and def overdue.

Thanks Awaterlily. Yes, it was much too long of a separation!!!

06/2005 - Met in the U.S.

3/26/07 - Mailed I-129F

3/28/07 - Vermont Received

3/29/07 - NOA1

3/30/07 - Check cashed

4/03/07 - "Touched"

4/11/07 - Approved, NOA 2 mailed via snail mail

4/18/07 - NVC received approved I-129F petition

5/02/07 - Fiance received Packet 3

5/22/07 - Mailed I-134 and supporting evidence to Fiance

5/25/07 - I-134 papers arrive in Turkey to SO via UPS

5/29/07 - Packet 3 sent to American Embassy in Turkey

6/02/07 - Packet 4 received by fiance

7/16/07 - Interview in Ankara at 9:45 am

7/16/07 - Visa denied because of a previous overstay in US, must file I-601 waiver

8/16/07 - Delivered I-601 papers to US Embassy in Ankara

12/28/07 - Fourth visit to Turkey

11/22/08 - Still waiting on I-601 Waiver (16 months)

12/23/08 - Yilmaz received approval letter for his waiver in mail!!!

03/18/09 - 2nd IV interview in Ankara

03/18/09 - Visa approved. Will be sent via UPS to his home address

03/25/09 - Received visa at home address

04/18/09 - Arrival in U.S.!!!!!!

05/21/09 - Married on the beach in Hawaii

07/12/09 - Mailed AOS papers via FedEX

7/18/09 - NOA for AOS/EAD/AP

7/30/09 - I-485 transferred to CSC

8/19/09 - Biometrics appointment @ 11 AM---COMPLETED

8/30/09 - AP approved (recieved 2 hard copies in mail on 9/5/09)

9/08/09 - EAD card received in the mail

10/16/09 - Touch from CSC

11/09/09 - Card production ordered

10/05/11 - Filed Removal of Conditions

07/31/12 - Removal of conditions APPROVED, card issued

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.