umachu88

Tourist Visa for LPR's spouse

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and really like all the information I can find here.

I am a PR holder since 2003, but because I have broken the resident continuance requirement, I am not eligible to the naturalization this year and have to wait 5 more years.

Unfortunately, my husband is not a LPR yet (I haven't applied I-130) and he is not in the country (he has never been in the country). Before I can decide what I shall do next, I really want him to come and visit me here: to see how life is in the States, etc. Then, I feel it will be fair for us to decide.

I am wondering if anyone can give me some hopes if he can apply a tourist visa for a short visit (guarantee he will return after his visit). What paper works will he need to prepare? and/or also from me? He has his business back home, has his own house, and car too. Is it possible for him to get a tourist visa?

Please please help. I need some advices and inputs. I am so desperate and sad now because I don't know what to do.

Thanks,

UC

Filed: Timeline

Yes, he can apply for a tourist visa. He should make sure that he brings in a lot of evidence (like you mentioned, house, car, business, bank records) that he has strong ties there and will return.

The applications and appointment schedules can be made online. http://jakarta.usembassy.gov/consular/NIVHOME.html has all of the instructions, etc, for what has to be done.

The bad news is - we were turned down because they considered tie of marriage here to overshadow everything else. It does not hurt to try though.

Best of luck to you

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline

Hi there.....

Reading your post I think you and I are in the same (painful)boat.You and me are not the only ones suffering from this dilemma,there are thousands of others suffering and unfortunately there is not much good news out there for us.

I am an LPR for the last almost 2 years now and haven't travelled out of US except for a month long trip to my home country when I got married there and my wife is still there and she cannot join me for either 5 years or until I become a USC.Now this is a problem.

She cannot get a visit visa to see me since mostly likely it will be refused.The only option is for me to make frequent trips to see her and go and live with her.

Can we exchage or share ideas together.What should we do?

By the way why did your continous residence breakup.How long did you stay outside the US?

Mus

Chicago,IL

roxio24@gmail.com

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Hi there.....

Reading your post I think you and I are in the same (painful)boat.You and me are not the only ones suffering from this dilemma,there are thousands of others suffering and unfortunately there is not much good news out there for us.

I am an LPR for the last almost 2 years now and haven't travelled out of US except for a month long trip to my home country when I got married there and my wife is still there and she cannot join me for either 5 years or until I become a USC.Now this is a problem.

She cannot get a visit visa to see me since mostly likely it will be refused.The only option is for me to make frequent trips to see her and go and live with her.

Can we exchage or share ideas together.What should we do?

By the way why did your continous residence breakup.How long did you stay outside the US?

Mus

Chicago,IL

roxio24@gmail.com

Surely something to discuss with your wife, didn't you discuss where you would live before you got married?

I know some people have given up PR satus ad gone to H or L.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

hi mus and umma!

now there are three of us in the same boat.

it's really frustrating having this long wait but i for now, we have no choice but to be patient and do a little more sacrifice.

as for me, even if my chances are slim, im going to try and apply for a tourist visa.

it wont hurt to try right? if i get one, i'll let you guys know.

mus, what did you mean by some people giving up their LPR status and switching to H or L visa. can you please tell me more about it? maybe it could work for me and my husband.

thanks guys for sharing! it's relieving to know there are people out there who are also in the same situation.

let's keep each other posted.

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi LMT,

You can check out this link regarding the H1 or L1 visa:

http://www.***removed***/visas/l1/

http://www.***removed***/visas/h1b/

Both visa server as dual intent as opposed to Tourist Visa (non immigrant only). However, you will need to look for an employer who is willing to sponsor the H1 visa or work at a company that has an affiliation with the US company.

It is a total painful process. LMT, please check out www.unitefamilies.org. There are millions people out who are also in our shoes. It's so sad that there are many of them.

Stay in touch.

UC

Edited by Kathryn41

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.