one...two...tree

A Nightmare Trying to Cash Foreign Currency Check

122 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Steven,

Seems like they are preying on what they thought was an illegal immigrant since they really have no recourse. One can wonder if they had done this before and would have cashed the check at a later date. I would see about filing a complaint with your local police department regarding the way they this officer talked to Jinky. And I would call the FBI white collar crime division and see if they take interest in this.

good luck

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

A little advice to all those who are coming to the USA- change your currency before you arrive!!! In the airports, they almost always have curency exchange booths that can offer traveller's checks. In the end, the cost of the checks and exchange rates save you a lot of TIME and a little money.

The USA is difficult to exchange foreign currencies in, especially if you live in the boonies. ^_^

I am finished...when I am dead

A little advice to all those who are coming to the USA- change your currency before you arrive!!! In the airports, they almost always have curency exchange booths that can offer traveller's checks. In the end, the cost of the checks and exchange rates save you a lot of TIME and a little money.

The USA is difficult to exchange foreign currencies in, especially if you live in the boonies. ^_^

:huh:

Steven & his wife live in (non-boonie) LA & he stated that his wife received the check as a birthday present.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

First, a false allegation:

"Per your request, we are returning the fraudulent check that was confiscated from your wife."

then a thinly veiled threat?

"We advise you to look into this matter more diligently, so that you are aware of the very serious situation you are placing yourselves in."

Unbelievable!

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

"Per your request, we are returning the fraudulent check that was confiscated from your wife."

"We advise you to look into this matter more diligently, so that you are aware of the very serious situation you are placing yourselves in."

Unbelievable!

Can't wait to see them topple off their mountain.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Unbelievable!

I do believe this to be a threat that can be acted upon legally... go get'em tiger! You do have proof in writing now...

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Unbelievable!

I do believe this to be a threat that can be acted upon legally... go get'em tiger! You do have proof in writing now...

And tell them you took their advice. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

Timeline
Thanks for the suport. I just want them to admit they were wrong. :)

O man Steven, too nice... imagine getting written proof from the Bank, then asking one last time in the spirit of good-old fashioned friendliness... give them a chance then. But when they decide they know best maybe you can consider using their superior ignorance in court for above-said reasons. I think you got a pretty good support team here in OT.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

O man Steven, too nice... imagine getting written proof from the Bank, then asking one last time in the spirit of good-old fashioned friendliness... give them a chance then. But when they decide they know best maybe you can consider using their superior ignorance in court for above-said reasons. I think you got a pretty good support team here in OT.

Do you think I can sue them for slander? Libel? I'm just wondering if it's worth going through the trouble and if I get a lawyer, I don't want to pay up front. I honestly would be satisfied with a formal apology by them and their acknowledgment that they should not have confiscated the check given the fact that according to their check fraud dept., they don't cash checks written in foreign currency.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Timeline

Do you think I can sue them for slander? Libel? I'm just wondering if it's worth going through the trouble and if I get a lawyer, I don't want to pay up front. I honestly would be satisfied with a formal apology by them and their acknowledgment that they should not have confiscated the check given the fact that according to their check fraud dept., they don't cash checks written in foreign currency.

Well IMHO... let them see if they admit their fault... but have proof you're good to go at that point. Should they decide to snub you and Jinky at that point then maybe call around for some legal rep... many lawyers will sit with you for an initial consult for free and won't charge unless there's a settlement/recovery/favorable outcome. Since you're out for the personal satisfaction this might not matter that much as to the chunk of change they'd get in the end...