one...two...tree

A Nightmare Trying to Cash Foreign Currency Check

122 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I chased Canadian cheques at Wachovia, but it was a pain at first!! Luckily the branch by me,the bank manager had experience with them as his wife was from Scotland. So all was ok there, didnt charge me any fees, just that the exchange rate wasnt super!! BUT if Iwent to other wachovia branches was a nightmare. Some stated they would have to charge me a hefty fee. 1 time I got the cheques returned to me by mail stating the minimum amount of each cheque had to be $200!! and of course they took back the $$$ they had credited me!! So all was ok, if Idealt with that 1 wachovia branch!! But I found it better to mail the cheques back home to my parents in Canada. have them deposit it into my Canadian bank acct which I left open,and then transfer the $$$ over with Customhouse.com No fees and a way better exchange rate! Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Don't be embarrassed, Steven - could have happened to anyone.

Goose had no right to "confiscate" the check and the act of confiscation in this case

is tantamount to theft.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Judging by the reactions from people in this thread, it couldn't have happened to "anyone". It did, however, happen to Steven. :thumbs:

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Steve, how bout a good game of duck duck goose? :lol:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Don't be embarrassed, Steven - could have happened to anyone.

Goose had no right to "confiscate" the check and the act of confiscation in this case

is tantamount to theft.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Judging by the reactions from people in this thread, it couldn't have happened to "anyone". It did, however, happen to Steven. :thumbs:

do you really think people are going to admit that this could have happened to them ?? :lol::P they would rather pick on Steven.. :P

and it didn't really happen to him, it happened to Jinky, someone who hasn't been living in this country for very long...

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
do you really think people are going to admit that this could have happened to them ?? :lol::P they would rather pick on Steven.. :P

and it didn't really happen to him, it happened to Jinky, someone who hasn't been living in this country for very long...

Exactly. :P

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I think Tmma meant him not spearheading this check cashing....but that's just my guess.

ETA: How is Jinky doing, btw? She must be so down with all this upsetting bs happening to her lately. Tell her I'm sending her some good mojo!

Edited by LisaD

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I think Tmma meant him not spearheading this check cashing....but that's just my guess.

ETA: How is Jinky doing, btw? She must be so down with all this upsetting bs happening to her lately. Tell her I'm sending her some good mojo!

Thanks, Lisa. She's doing ok. :star:

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Steven, why didn't you just pay it into Washington Mutual in the beginning? It would have taken a couple of days to clear, plus a small fee; but there would have been none of this bullcrap to deal with. I used to have a Washington Mutual account in Seattle, and they ran foreign checks through my account no problem. Same with BofA here.

It's awful what happened to Jinky; and my heart goes out to her. I hope she is OK; but reading your story here-her upsetting experience is partly your fault. Why would you have her and her young son trailing all over God's creation, having to deal with people like "Goose" over something that could have been sorted out at your branch of a well known bank? She is new here and [/b] I think the upsetting/humiliating/awful situation she ended up in is in a way your fault.

I hope all works out with the check and (F) to Jinky and Job. I am sincerely sorry for her.

Of course I meant him not making sure Jinky knew what she was doing, I would be the last one ( if at all) to poke at Jinky. She has more than enough to deal with by the looks of it.

Glad she is OK... :)

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Timeline

Update:

I just got off the phone with Nicky, who works in the check fraud dept. of (Check Cashing Etc) their corporate offices. She's mailing us back the check, but told me she "guarantees the check is counterfeit." I balked at her and told her then to press charges. She said they won't turn this over to the police because they didn't take a loss (didn't actually cash the check). That begs the question then why the f##k did Goose confiscate it? I asked her why she thinks it's counterfeit and she said she can just tell by looking at it....#######??? She brought up the 'Not Negotiable' for one. That it's printed on plain paper, that it has funny markings. I could only laugh.

I'm wondering if there is any legal recourse we have considering they took property from us, not to mention the emotional turmoil from the cops yelling at Jinky, to the guy, Goose, taking the check and telling her don't expect to ever see that check again.

Jinky's sister is putting a stop to the check, but I want to prove, not only to the dickhead, Goose, but the business itself that they were dead wrong.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Damn just on principle those ducks should be put out of business. Could you get any of these answers they gave you in writing? That would help any case you have against them... in case you go that route!

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
Steven, why didn't you just pay it into Washington Mutual in the beginning? It would have taken a couple of days to clear, plus a small fee; but there would have been none of this bullcrap to deal with. I used to have a Washington Mutual account in Seattle, and they ran foreign checks through my account no problem. Same with BofA here.

It's awful what happened to Jinky; and my heart goes out to her. I hope she is OK; but reading your story here-her upsetting experience is partly your fault. Why would you have her and her young son trailing all over God's creation, having to deal with people like "Goose" over something that could have been sorted out at your branch of a well known bank? She is new here and [/b] I think the upsetting/humiliating/awful situation she ended up in is in a way your fault.

I hope all works out with the check and (F) to Jinky and Job. I am sincerely sorry for her.

Of course I meant him not making sure Jinky knew what she was doing, I would be the last one ( if at all) to poke at Jinky. She has more than enough to deal with by the looks of it.

Glad she is OK... :)

What happened to your wife is unacceptable. Please don't take too much to the idea that you could have prevented this. I am quite sure that had you known what would happen you would not have sent your wife into the situation. Your wife has no fault, you have no fault. Goose and his business associates are responsible for this unfair and unlawful act and the police enabled the situation.

You should check with your State Attorney General. They have a consumer protection division created just for this. In my state there is also a division (in the AG's office) for Government Accountability which might be a nice place to mention the treatment from your local officers.

I'm not sure this one will help but I think I would check with the Federal Trade Commission, this is a serious violation of privacy for one and borders on fradulent.

http://www.ftc.gov/privacy/index.html

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/business.shtm

and without a doubt file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau

http://welcome.bbb.org/

May your wife have a million good experiences to counter this negative one. Take care...

Jun: I Met Elias in Peru

Oct: Returned to Peru. Elias proposed!!

Nov 26: Mailed I-129F to VSC

Nov 28: Rec. Signature Confirm of delivery from USPS

Nov 29: Check cashed ; rec. receipt number. E-NOA1

Feb 14: Touch

Feb 14: NOA2 by email!

Feb 19: File Arrived @ NVC

Feb 20: Hard-copy NOA2

Feb 21: File Left NVC for Lima.

Feb 25: File @ U.S. embassy in Lima!

Mar 04: Rec. Packet 3/4

Mar 18: 8 a.m. My Morenito's Interview!!

Mar 25: VISA IN HAND!!!

Apr 4: My love is home!!!!

Apr 29: Our marriage. And life begins anew..

Dec 31: Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP to Chicago

Jan 5: Rec. e-mail confirm of delivery from USPS

Jan 8: Check cashed. MSC number not visible....

Jan 12: Rec. Hard Copy Notices for AOS, EAD, and AP. Touched

Jan 16: Rec. NOA-Biometrics Scheduled 1/28/09

Jan 28: 9:00 a.m. Biometrics appt. Fast - 15 minutes in and out!

Jan 29: Touched.

Feb 3: AOS Trans. to CSC

Feb 10: AOS Arrived @ CSC

Mar 04: Touch on AOS

Mar 09: Notifice that AP approved 3/6/09

Mar 13: Rec. AP

Mar 16: Rec. EAD (surprised as USCIS shows no updates)

Apr 3: Rec Welcome Letter, AOS approved 03/30 (surprise, no updates on website)

Apr 8: GC Received

June 5: Our precious baby girl arrived!

June 7: Our darling son arrived!

Timeline
What happened to your wife is unacceptable. Please don't take too much to the idea that you could have prevented this. I am quite sure that had you known what would happen you would not have sent your wife into the situation. Your wife has no fault, you have no fault. Goose and his business associates are responsible for this unfair and unlawful act and the police enabled the situation.

You should check with your State Attorney General. They have a consumer protection division created just for this. In my state there is also a division (in the AG's office) for Government Accountability which might be a nice place to mention the treatment from your local officers.

I'm not sure this one will help but I think I would check with the Federal Trade Commission, this is a serious violation of privacy for one and borders on fradulent.

http://www.ftc.gov/privacy/index.html

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/business.shtm

and without a doubt file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau

http://welcome.bbb.org/

May your wife have a million good experiences to counter this negative one. Take care...

Thank for all the info. :thumbs: My wife called me earlier today to tell me that she received the check returned to her in the mail, along with a letter from the check cashing place's check fraud dept. saying that they are returning the 'fraudulent' check to us as requested. Also stating they've notified the police of their actions and that we should be cautious about trying to cash such a check like that in the future. :lol: A stop has been put out on the check, but I want some satisfaction to go after this place for falsely accusing us of trying to pass fraudulent check.

Their position doesn't make any f##king sense. According to her, it is their protocol to confiscate a check they believe to be counterfeit. That part I can understand. However, in our case, they are saying the check is fraudulent, but they won't turn this over to the police because they didn't take a loss on it. Wouldn't that be the case with every check they confiscate???

I'm going to file a complaint with the BBB, and I hope that the Bank of Ireland would be willing to give me a signed statement as to the authenticity of the check. It really gets me that the check cashing place is blaming us and basically accusing us of breaking the law while at the same time not willing to prosecute. What a load of #######.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

HI Steven,

When you get the letter from the Bank of Ireland, you should also contact the local news comsumer advocates. Plaster them all over so other people wont go there.

Drag everyone under the bus, The Cop that harased Jinky, Goose, the gressy Thug, the person from the Fraud dept. everyone.. See if you can Really COOK GOOSE PEWET :lol::lol::lol:

by living in the L.A. Area it will be a lot of negitive exposer to that place.

I would also consult a Lawyer to see what Legal action you have agaist them.

Take Care

Yogi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Bank_of_Ireland_Check_mosaic.jpg

CheckcashingEtcLetter.jpg

i'm waiting for the update when you show goose and crew that letter from the irish bank. :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!