one...two...tree

A Nightmare Trying to Cash Foreign Currency Check

122 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

When they looked at the check, it had the words, 'Non-negotiable' above an amount that was slightly over the amount of the check. The clerk there said that non-negotiable means the check cannot be cashed. I figured they didn't know what the hell they were talking about and we'd try taking it to the currency exchange kiosks at the airport but they said they only deal with cash and coin.

It's written on the Bank of Ireland. I'm going to call them when they are open to see what we can do.

OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT (at another bank) & DEPOSIT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Done.

We can't do that now....the check's been confiscated.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Why did you let them confiscate it? It's not theirs to confiscate.

File criminal charges against the check cashing place for theft of your personal property.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I missed the orig thread, but I lolled @

'When they looked at the check, it had the words, 'Non-negotiable' above an amount that was slightly over the amount of the check. The clerk there said that non-negotiable means the check cannot be cashed.'

Timeline

File criminal charges against the check cashing place for theft of your personal property.

That's why I called the police, but the police officer who showed up first is supposedly on friendly terms with Goose and told Jinky that the check cashing place would hold on to the check until they could verify whether it is valid or not. Believe me, if I weren't 60 miles away, I would've gone there myself, but in the end, what can I do when the cop makes the final decision? I plan on calling the police department tomorrow morning, with the name of the officer to inquire as to whether this was proper protocol.

She said the officer asked her if she could speak English, which I thought was odd.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Filed: Timeline

That's why I called the police, but the police officer who showed up first is supposedly on friendly terms with Goose and told Jinky that the check cashing place would hold on to the check until they could verify whether it is valid or not. Believe me, if I weren't 60 miles away, I would've gone there myself, but in the end, what can I do when the cop makes the final decision? I plan on calling the police department tomorrow morning, with the name of the officer to inquire as to whether this was proper protocol.

She said the officer asked her if she could speak English, which I thought was odd.

Um, call today, not tomorrow!

PS: We live in SoCal, cops are suspiscious.

Edited by devilette

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
n/s jinky's sis sent her a $1000 check for her bday?

Not quite, but it was a generous gift.

steven, any chance we can get you on a reality show? you seem to have a few train wrecks following you around lately :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Dang. I hope you work it out Steven. Give those cops hell.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline
Dang. I hope you work it out Steven. Give those cops hell.

Thanks. I'm pi$$ed as hell why a cop would let the check cashing place confiscate the check under the circumstances. Jinky even showed the cops the hand written envelope that her sister sent it in. Unless they had reasonable suspicion that she was deliberately trying to cash a counterfeit check, they should have given her the check back. I'm going to raise cain tomorrow at the police station.