Teacher Mark

Interracial marriages surge across U.S.

133 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Really intelligent, you people need to stop feeling sorry for yourself and start getting to moving and making the most of life in the USA! For it could be a lot worse in other parts of the world, which is a cold hard reality, aceept it and deal with it. Move on!

:whistle:

What did you expect from people? You are trying to simplify your situation and look through life in rose colored glasses. You and I and anyone else that gets married to a non-USA person should have thought long and hard about the ramifications of marrying them and bringing them to the USA and what could and would be said or done to them or us, so stop crying and be strong! :thumbs:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-0...-marriage_n.htm

My question is how many of you have experienced some form of racism as a result of your interracial or mixed nationality marriage? Personally, when a member of my family found out I intended to marry a Vietnamese woman she asked me "How can you do that after what they did to us". I was shocked to say the least. My response was that

1.) I was relatively certain she had nothing to do with the war since she wasn't even born yet. and

2.) That it was us that probably owed amends since we bombed them to the stone age and then bailed out leaving one hell of a mess behind that continues to kill today. Sounds sort of familiar doesn't it? Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

P.S. I still haven't asked if a white German would be acceptable.

Here's Johnny!

http://static.flickr.com/27/45718334_bcd57b061b.jpg

AGREED! I learned it long ago unlike so many others on here that want to sit around and feel sorry for themselves and cry and whine all the time! :whistle:

Remember this: When two people are in love, it will attract all kinds of attention and reaction. I was living with, and later married to a (white) French-Canadian/Scandanavia woman from Michigan with me being African-American. We were together a total of 12 yrs. before our divorce. My ex was attractive, but I wanted some different flavor. So, I met a 'Morena' from Northern Colombia, and I'm very satisfied.

But, in Colombia, being Black equates to being a 2nd class citizen. There's segregation alive and kicking in that country, and I understand my fiance when she says that she appreciates the laws we have here in the United States. Her younger sister asks me about, "Obama" regularly, and her father asks me about "Mississippi Burning" and if it was exactly like in the movie?? When I was still with my ex, we traveled to Helsinki, Finland, and people there wanted to know about "Boy's in the Hood" and why young people did not get along with the police in Los Angeles?? Just honest curiosity.

In Colombia, we get stared at, but I just stare back (like I'm part Mental), and people get uncomfortable and look away. I don't get it. We're both black. What's the problem??? Haha.

Moral of the story: don't base your happiness on acceptance from others.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that a good suggestion would be to sit the family, extended family, etc. down and let them know the whole story, see photographs of who their new In-Law is, where s/he is coming from, etc. There should be no surprises, only anticipation for this person entering your life. Hopefully, your family will all be on-board with this decision you have made, because a unified family will make things feel more inclusive.

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I think that a good suggestion would be to sit the family, extended family, etc. down and let them know the whole story, see photographs of who their new In-Law is, where s/he is coming from, etc. There should be no surprises, only anticipation for this person entering your life. Hopefully, your family will all be on-board with this decision you have made, because a unified family will make things feel more inclusive.

Exactly.

My friends and family couldn't WAIT to meet my husband!!

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Really intelligent, you people need to stop feeling sorry for yourself and start getting to moving and making the most of life in the USA! For it could be a lot worse in other parts of the world, which is a cold hard reality, aceept it and deal with it. Move on!

What did you expect from people? You are trying to simplify your situation and look through life in rose colored glasses. You and I and anyone else that gets married to a non-USA person should have thought long and hard about the ramifications of marrying them and bringing them to the USA and what could and would be said or done to them or us, so stop crying and be strong! :thumbs:

My question is how many of you have experienced some form of racism as a result of your interracial or mixed nationality marriage? Personally, when a member of my family found out I intended to marry a Vietnamese woman she asked me "How can you do that after what they did to us". I was shocked to say the least. My response was that

1.) I was relatively certain she had nothing to do with the war since she wasn't even born yet. and

2.) That it was us that probably owed amends since we bombed them to the stone age and then bailed out leaving one hell of a mess behind that continues to kill today. Sounds sort of familiar doesn't it? Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Here's Johnny!

AGREED! I learned it long ago unlike so many others on here that want to sit around and feel sorry for themselves and cry and whine all the time! :whistle:

Remember this: When two people are in love, it will attract all kinds of attention and reaction. I was living with, and later married to a (white) French-Canadian/Scandanavia woman from Michigan with me being African-American. We were together a total of 12 yrs. before our divorce. My ex was attractive, but I wanted some different flavor. So, I met a 'Morena' from Northern Colombia, and I'm very satisfied.

But, in Colombia, being Black equates to being a 2nd class citizen. There's segregation alive and kicking in that country, and I understand my fiance when she says that she appreciates the laws we have here in the United States. Her younger sister asks me about, "Obama" regularly, and her father asks me about "Mississippi Burning" and if it was exactly like in the movie?? When I was still with my ex, we traveled to Helsinki, Finland, and people there wanted to know about "Boy's in the Hood" and why young people did not get along with the police in Los Angeles?? Just honest curiosity.

In Colombia, we get stared at, but I just stare back (like I'm part Mental), and people get uncomfortable and look away. I don't get it. We're both black. What's the problem??? Haha.

Except this thread is about interracial relationships, which, based on your lack of input on the subject at hand, you know nothing about.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Huh??? :unsure:

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

My parents live in the town where Ernest Gaines set the novel, Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman. In case you don't know that book or have not seen the mini-series based on it, it is about a woman who was born in slavery and lived through the civil rights era. In fact, if you have read any of Gaines's books, most of them are set in this area, though the names of places have been changed. It is an area that is majority Black but primarily run and owned by Whites. It is deeply steeped in racism, though never really any violence. All my life I've heard racist comments from family and friends.

This is the town where my husband was first introduced to the US. EVERYONE has been very welcoming. People who have said the most awful things about Blacks in the past have been truly accomodating and sincerely warm to my husband. I was a little concerned how my family would accept our marriage, but I'm now ashamed of my former fears.

I expect we will occasionally meet with prejudice when we finally start to live in the US, but I don't think it will have much influence on the way we live. I think that people are much more accepting of interracial marriages these days. I am a bit worried about our child. I'm a teacher and I have seen in schools how children have to choose whether they are "White" or "Black" and how they often have to prove how "Black" or "White" they are. I'm sure it isn't like this in places where minorities are truly that, i.e. 10% or less of the population, but where minorities are a large portion of the population, like where we will be living, fear and distrust rises up along color lines. Maybe this will also begin to be less so.

By relating my experiences and my expectations, I don't want to downplay the racism that exists against an entire group of people. Somehow as an interracial couple, we literally are able to bridge the gap between races. But I do worry about how my husband will feel after a few years living in the US. While he was in China, people were openly curious about him. They would want to take pictures of him and rub his skin to see if the color came off. There is a sort of caste system based on shades of darkness in China. Though it isn't as structured as in India, there is definitely a hierarchy of social acceptance and Black people are thought to be dirty. However, there is a sort of romantic fascination with Africans in China these days, so while my husband often found the attention annoying and the questions and attitudes stupid, he didn't suffer too much from it. I think he might become frustrated after a while about more subtle prejudice in the US. I've tried to prepare him, but I don't know if he truly understands.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Here's Johnny!

This is about racism. pure and simple. Don't like what I posted? Tough ^&*%. Evidently it's a good topic or it wouldn't still be active.

P.S. I'm sitting in a pretty poor area of a pretty poor country right now. I do not feel the least bit sorry for myself. I feel grateful to be as fortunate as I have been. My feelings are still the same concerning racists and the idiots who support them.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm a Black Jamaican woman who is married to a White american man and I have never had a problem dating inside or outside of my race. My husband on the other hand has always dated black women ALL his life. It's not a big deal and to be honest I have never gotten any negative comment about mine and my husbands relationship. We know we make a great couple and that's all that really matters at the end of the day. :)

NATURALIZATION
07-03-2013: Eligible to file
07-22-2013: Application sent (Delivered: 07-24-13)
08-05-2013: NOA1 received (Priority date: 07-24-13, Check cashed: 07-29-13)
08-22-2013: Biometrics (Received: 08-06-13, Walk-in: 08-08-13)
09-03-2013: Inline for interview (Yellow letter received: 10-23-13)
11-04-2013: Interview scheduled (Received: 11-09-13)
12-12-2013: Interview (Approved)
01-03-2014: Oath ceremony, passport application and passport received

DONE!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've heard a lot of comments about mail order brides. If it's someone I care to continue having conversations with, I set them straight. If it's not I just walk away. They also ask me if she had been trying to come here, I guess a roundabout way of asking if she was only looking for a greencard.

Many people just don't want to try to understand.

My Journey to Motherhood

Our Wedding Pics

Onli In Da Pilipins - Collection of sights and thoughts for my beloved country.

Our Love HIStory

06/26/06: Met at Bigchurch.com

07/14/07: First meeting in person.

12/19/07: Got my surprise gift through snail mail: my engagement ring!

02/11-18/08: Valentine's Week together!

AOS Timeline (I-485, I-765)

04/09/09: Sent packet to Illinois Lockbox

04/20/09: Received Notice of Action

04/27/09: Received Biometrics Appointment

05/09/09: Biometrics Appointment

06/01/09: Received EAD Card

08/18/09: Interview (postponed due to baby's delivery)

12/16/09: Interview - Approved!

2_613061495l.jpg

In her eyes I see the reflection of what love is all about.

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

Ecclesiastes 4:12

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Im latina perviz is from India...........but...........i have two full black sisters......mixed brother and another mixed sister and brothers that are Pakistani...........hmmm when we set down for dinner in our home we have the meeting of most the nations we have drawn attention no matter where we are in our country the USA or other countries over seas...........i think people are too busy trying to figure us out to say anything but we are the head turners going out to eat......to Disney land where ever it is people stop and look......... :no: no racist remarks in our home....or from our family lol

Edited by estadia

I just returned from 1 week in Northern Colombia. The caste system there is so severe that Blacks and/or Afro Colombians are barred from certain high-calibre establishments. Onelis and I didn't have any difficulties navigating this social construct, but she made me aware of it, and as an American, I am happy to say things are better here than any other part of the world in terms of our Constitution and opportunities available to us.

I spent 2 weeks in Finland, and although I was simply a traveler, I got this look as if I were there to live off of the welfare system. You could read it on the faces of so many people. I just smiled and enjoyed myself regardless, because I can't worry about the thoughts of ignorant people.

Last summer when I visited Peru, I spent some time in the Amazon region, and people were just curious, and just looked at me in curiousity. Some asked politely if I were, "Brazileno" or Brazilian. I laughed and told them, "No, American."

When I lead tours in Baja, Mexico - I get asked where I am from, and while speaking in Spanish, people tell me, "Impossible! American's can't/don't speak Spanish!" :blink:

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

KEEP THE OREO LOVE ALIVE! :thumbs: Don't let other peoples' hang ups bring you down!!! Smile and keep on moving!!!!

HIM, ME and BABY MAKES 3

"THE STRONGEST PEOPLE ARE NOT ALWAYS THE ONES WHO WIN, RATHER THE ONES THAT DO NOT GIVE UP WHEN THEY LOSE."

14 Feb08 Case number assigned

5JUN 08 Got visa

FLYS IN TO CHICAGO POE ON THE 15TH!!!

December 08 move to GERMANY

May2009 Start Case for Naturalization

14 SEPTEMBER 2009 Visa Journey is over!! Husband a US Citizen!!

not because you are white skinned it made you a better person from the rests of humanity..only moron could have this kind of mentality.

My in-laws loves me and that's all I care for. My father in-law is an irish were as my mother in-law is a german. My sister in-law married to a cuban and I am a filipino...we are a multicultural family! :hehe:

bunbunard20090713_-6_ETHAN.png

I-751 Lifting Conditions Timeline

April 06, 2010 - mailed I-751 documents via usps express mail(overnight)with delivery confirmation

April 07, 2010 - packet delivered and signed

April 12, 2010 - check was cashed

April 13, 2010 - received NOA1 (dated 04/08/10)

May 07, 2010 - Biometrics

May 10, 2010 - Touched

June 23, 2010 - APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!

DSC00770.jpg

My husband was surprised at how many mixed couples you see here in New York. In Morocco, even someone who's dark-skinned and someone who's light-skinned together is unusual, even though they are the same ethnicity and speak the same language.

I personally think it's great to see so many mixed marriages.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
My husband was surprised at how many mixed couples you see here in New York. In Morocco, even someone who's dark-skinned and someone who's light-skinned together is unusual, even though they are the same ethnicity and speak the same language.

I personally think it's great to see so many mixed marriages.

I agree!

I was surprised to see so many mixed marriages just where I work - it's really nice.

People used to stare at us a lot in Brazil, but people weren't giving us dirty looks, it's just not common to see Americans out of the touristy area in the city where we lived - and my husband is pretty dark. We think it's beautiful :star:

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.